This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are your thoughts on William Lane Craig?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your thoughts on William Lane Craig?

User Info: MondoCapitalist

MondoCapitalist
6 years ago#1
I'm sure he's been discussed to death here, so forgive me. I would consider myself an atheist or agnostic, and I had always dismissed him as a laughable ID pushing crank without having any understanding at all of his background or seeing him debate. That was wrong of me, quite obviously. He's a legitimate philosopher and theologian with a rock solid CV who doesn't actually deny evolution.

I've watched many of his videos lately, and he is damn impressive. I've never seen someone win debates so wholly so regularly. I find myself rooting for him more often than not, which is something I... can't really explain. And I think watching him would help someone improve their real life debating skills.

Your thoughts?
Profits over people.

User Info: ForsakenHermit

ForsakenHermit
6 years ago#2
He's hit or miss but when he hits he hits hard. Particularly on New Atheists.
I will close this account if Final Fantasy XV is announced to be for either the Vita or 3DS.
Fire Yoichi Wada

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#3
Ive never seen him speak or read anything hes written. Any recommendations?
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

User Info: BashyMcFetus

BashyMcFetus
6 years ago#4
I've never seen someone win debates so wholly so regularly.

This has a lot to do with how he debates. He always insists that he goes first, he throws out a very large number of claims, and the declares that the opponent loses if he can't disprove every single claim.
By Evolution, I mean Evolution. As in "I look different from my parents because of evolution" ~OrangeWizard

MondoCapitalist
6 years ago#5
Here are some reviews of his debates with accompanying links:
http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=392

The most well known debate he's been in is probably his debate with Christopher Hitchens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KBx4vvlbZ8

Most of his debates are with atheists, where he debates in favor of a generic theism and the atheist takes the, well, atheist position. He also has debates with Muslims and debates over issues other than theism/atheism (existence of the resurrection, that kind of thing).

Here's a solid interview with him:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2NhBbD-NJ8

I would watch that before any of the debates.
Profits over people.

MondoCapitalist
6 years ago#6
"This has a lot to do with how he debates. He always insists that he goes first, he throws out a very large number of claims, and the declares that the opponent loses if he can't disprove every single claim."

Yes, i'd agree that he wins to a significant extent based on his skills as a debater, but he's also a legit philosopher/theologian. I believe the focus of his philosophy phD was cosmology, and his restatement of the Cosmological argument is a serious and important piece of scholarship by citations and attempts at refutation and whatnot.
Profits over people.

User Info: kirsybuu

kirsybuu
6 years ago#7
He spoke at my university a little while back. Wasn't very impressed by his arguments, to say the least.
"sabe que no puede resistir mis encantos sensuales." ~ Poolshark128

User Info: TheLesserFaithX

TheLesserFaithX
6 years ago#8
He's yet to make a claim without committing ad ignoratium.

Trash.
http://i.imgur.com/shH52.jpg
Evolution is a scientific fact with tons of conclusive evidence: http://goo.gl/hWwzO

User Info: ledzepfan15

ledzepfan15
6 years ago#9
I'd be interested to see how he fares against Matt Dillahunty.
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro

User Info: fudrick

fudrick
6 years ago#10
ledzepfan15 posted...
I'd be interested to see how he fares against Matt Dillahunty.

I think I remember him saying that he has an outstanding offer to debate Craig live on his show but Craig has just ignored every attempt he's made to contact him, though that may have been about Ray Comfort which might make more sense.
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your thoughts on William Lane Craig?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived