This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are your thoughts on William Lane Craig?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your thoughts on William Lane Craig?

User Info: ElderMisanthropy

ElderMisanthropy
6 years ago#11
Ray already called in to TAE, though.
You know what they say: once you go quadriplegic, you never roll back.

User Info: anavriN

anavriN
6 years ago#12
Your thoughts?

I think he's smug and pretentious. His arguments aren't all that impressive once you cut through his verbosity and all the jargon. He said some pretty stupid things in the past, but I don't remember the bulk of them. There's a YouTuber by the name of theowarner who posted some pretty good criticism of the man.

Speaking as a philosophy-student, I'd say he gives Philosophy a bad name. I know we can't all be Zizek or Nietzsche or Beaudrillard with wild, imaginative and poetic language and ideas, but listening to Craig for more than a minute makes me want to through my laptop out the window.
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.

User Info: thaer_dude

thaer_dude
6 years ago#13
When I first saw one of his debates, I had very little knowledge about debates in general, and therefore I passed no judgement on his skill at debating. However, what I did observe is that his arguments were very fallacious, and was rather disconcerted when the opposite debater failed to crush WLC's weak arguments with a couple of sentences, giving the audience the illusion that what WLC said made any sense at all.
The internet: serious business.

User Info: dnLpk

dnLpk
6 years ago#14
Aside his meticulous style of debating I don't understand why people bash WLC. He's a very good analytical philosopher and I haven't found a single video where he outright screws up.

His arguments are logical and clear cut, but I find that they don't have any influence on my beliefs at all. Another plus is that he just owns any flaunting atheist out there so I find it really amusing to watch his debates :D

gogo WLC!
billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles!

User Info: zombiehunter696

zombiehunter696
6 years ago#15
Great debater, but his arguments are nothing but logical fallacies and can be easily torn apart by someone with basic logic skills.
Make me a sammich!

User Info: TheLesserFaithX

TheLesserFaithX
6 years ago#16
zombiehunter696 posted...
Great debater, but his arguments are nothing but logical fallacies and can be easily torn apart by someone with basic logic skills.

100% accurate.
http://i.imgur.com/shH52.jpg
Evolution is a scientific fact with tons of conclusive evidence: http://goo.gl/hWwzO

User Info: MajinCellJr

MajinCellJr
6 years ago#17

Basically this.

I've only seen a few debates of his, but I don't think they'd change much anyway. He's a really good speaker and definitely knows how to change things around and make the audience believe he's winning. In the end, Christians may love him, but most atheists won't be impressed.
blah blah blah

User Info: KNessJM

KNessJM
6 years ago#18
Skilled at formal debate, but his core arguments are junk.

Every one of his primary arguments require assumptions to be made, yet he offers them as irrefutable proof. Plus, as was stated earlier, a lot of his arguments boil down to an appeal to ignorance. "It is not known how this thing happened, therefore I think God did it. If you can't prove that he didn't, then I must be correct."
Quote of the Week: "When universes collide, don't get caught on the wrong side."

User Info: FlashOfLight

FlashOfLight
6 years ago#19
I've watched several of his debates, knowing going in that he believed in the Big Bang, in some of his commentaries he ridicules christians who don't accept modern science's findings. His stance, to his debates, is a very philosophical one, he does use Scripture, but he tends to play to the College-seasoned moreso, as is demonstrated by his use of philosophical concepts. I have watched a particular debate with him and a Muslim man, where I think in fact the Muslim knew more of Biblical Scripture than Craig did, but Craig still did expose certain very flawed reasonings in the Muslim's arguments.

So, I kind of agree, as far as his debates go, it's a hit and miss, he does know Scripture, but he does rely often too much on debate standards and procedures, which can limit him because he often takes that as his foundation.

The preceding was an opinion only, of course, as asked for.
Mattel Electronics presents... B-17 BOMBER

User Info: anavriN

anavriN
6 years ago#20
Concerning the theowarner videos I talk about, here's a particularly gem of obnoxiousness from WLC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjy8IkBx5HE&feature=player_profilepage#t=119s

In sum, he describes his new book as "hardheaded, not sentimental or fluffy. MEN will really enjoy it!"
Yeah, it's a book that REAL MEN will enjoy, because we all know that masculinity is defined by a bunch of guys sitting in a circle, discussing some book about God written by a douchebag.
§ 157. Der Gedanke an den Selbstmord ist ein starkes Trostmittel: mit ihm kommt man gut über manche böse Nacht hinweg.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your thoughts on William Lane Craig?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived