This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

12 year old tortured to cure his homosexuality

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 12 year old tortured to cure his homosexuality

User Info: Heineken14

Heineken14
6 years ago#91
This just in, Isaac Netwon has murdered more people in the history of anything due to the theory of gravity working on bullets/missles/etc...
Rage is a hell of an anesthetic.

User Info: kts123

kts123
6 years ago#92
I am pretty selfish. In fact, most of my apologetical arguments are because I like mental chess games, not because I'm worried about your soul. And people will keep perverting God's word to do all sorts of nasty things.

That still doesn't mean it's wise to evaluate the truth of a belief based on what murderers have perverted it to say or justify. People can pervert God's word all day long, that won't make him stop existing.
the final bahamut 6 years ago#93
That still doesn't mean it's wise to evaluate the truth of a belief based on what murderers have perverted it to say or justify. People can pervert God's word all day long, that won't make him stop existing.

No, but if your God has no problem letting people murder, maim, rape and burn in his name, then why should I give three parts of a f*** about your God?
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.

User Info: avonT

avonT
6 years ago#94
El_Rez78 posted...
Survival of the fittest wasn't the mentality behind the holocaust. It's not even a conscious mentality at all- it's just something that happens, and it happened long before Darwin defined it.

"The law of selection justifies this incessant struggle, by allowing the survival of the fittest."-Hitler

"I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord." - Hitler

See, I can play these games too.

EDIT: For the record, I don't think Christianity or natural selection caused the holocaust. I just think Hitler was a psycho.
Official Priest of the Temples of Syrinx.

User Info: ledzepfan15

ledzepfan15
6 years ago#95
Really? Because I think it was pretty damn clear that I was saying that Nazies understood about as much Evolution as Michael Bay understands the "Less is more" principle.

I have to admit, I laughed at this.
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro

kts123
6 years ago#96
No, but if your God has no problem letting people murder, maim, rape and burn in his name, then why should I give three parts of a f*** about your God?

Well, I guess you know better than God. Heck, with an adviser like you what could God not do? Why, I bet he could lay the foundations of the universe with all of your wisdom on how to run things. His omnipotence, your brains. It'd be a divine combination! Go get up there to heaven (I'm sure your soapbox is big enough to reach that high) and go join God's council, I'm sure he'll be honored to be in your presence.

User Info: ledzepfan15

ledzepfan15
6 years ago#97
Well, I guess you know better than God.

That's your deal if you want to look at it that way.

We don't agree with god's actions, so we choose not to follow him. You're defending the actions of a god that thinks violence was the best possible way to deal with the problem. You might be completely okay with that because god is omni-everything, but we're under the assumption that an omni-everything god could choose a humane decision if he really wanted to.
"If you think, you are late. If you are late, you use strength. If you use strength, you tire. And if you tire, you die." - Saulo Ribeiro

kts123
6 years ago#98
We don't agree with god's actions, so we choose not to follow him. You're defending the actions of a god that thinks violence was the best possible way to deal with the problem. You might be completely okay with that because god is omni-everything, but we're under the assumption that an omni-everything god could choose a humane decision if he really wanted to.

Once the inerrancy of scripture is established, all objections to God's way of doing things dissolves. We are under no burden to argue God's ways, since his nature proves them correct in principle. Your only way to contest the way God does things, is to contest his existence. And contesting his existence by saying "If God were real, he'd do things my way!" is the crown and glory of arrogance.

User Info: fudrick

fudrick
6 years ago#99
kts123 posted...
Abstract models work like this:

We have the high levels of abstraction where the two intersect:
Christianity and evolution are things for which someone must learn of them. That is, they heavily involve non-axiomatic knowledge. Christianity and evolution may or may not reflect reality, etc.

We have lower levels of abstraction where the two do not intersect:
Christianity is a belief in which morals are given. Evolution is a scientific theory in which we interpret natural phenomenon.

Now here's the big, fat, important catch: All of the major differences you keep outlining are at lower levels of abstraction. A red circle and a blue triangle are both shapes, no matter how much you detail the differences. At the highest level of abstraction, we are left with two "shapes." That is, two specific sub-classes of the same fundamental parent class. Both have area, both have perimeter, etc. (Under specific types of euclidean geometry, please don't kill me math buffs.)

My point is, at the most fundamental level, they are things which may or may not be true. And when evaluating ideas (IDEAS, one of the most abstract levels) we must understand that twisted versions do not detract from the truth-value of the untwisted idea. This happens at the high levels of abstraction, where the square and the triangle are seen to be related sub classes of the same underlying parent class. So detailing the differences between the two does not change this upper level of relation, and pointing out the differences that occur at a lower level of abstraction is like saying a blue triangle and a green circle cannot have their area compared because they have different colors and number of sides.

You still don't get it. Since christianity is supposed to give people better morals and such, we can judge it based on the actions of its followers. The theory of evolution is just an explanation of things that happen, so you judge it based on the evidence that supports it rather than the actions of its "followers" which don't really exist.
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious

User Info: El_Rez78

El_Rez78
6 years ago#100
What constitutes a follower then? Any random person who claims to be following it? I believe this topic proved several times that legitimately anything can be twisted to say whatever you want it to. Mark Chapman murdered John Lenon because "The Catcher in the Rye" told him to. There are countless examples of this nonsense, but you only chose to be completely upset over one because you wanted to bash religion and lump its followers together. Before you say "I never said that" youre opening post is accusing people of supporting a "belief" that will (implied by your first post) cause people to torture.
It's all goooood
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 12 year old tortured to cure his homosexuality

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived