This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

1 John 3:17 - Helping the poor - how much is enough?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 1 John 3:17 - Helping the poor - how much is enough?

User Info: chukie_sue

chukie_sue
6 years ago#1
But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?

1 John 3:17

For a year or two now, my plan has been to graduate high school with my Associate's degree. This requires a decent amount of money. My family is far from well off, so I found a job paying minimum wage.

I often see this verse on all the wall of the building where I take some of my classes. The plan was originally to tithe a certain percent of the check and to bank the rest for classes, but I'm really having second thoughts now. I searched for some hunger and thirst related statistics and was absolutely disgusted at what I found. I guess I've been rambling now for a while so I'll skip to the point:

I'm absolutely disgusted by the ignorance and apathy that most Christians dwell in regarding these issues, but I have no right to judge if I'm just an inactive. It feels as if by spending money elsewhere, I'm effectively saying "yes, I know you're starving and will die as a result, but I'd rather ___ with my money." I believe Paul writes somewhere about caring for our basic needs, but I guess I have a hard time imagining a scenario where God approves of spending money on fleeting things in light of the suffering that can be eliminated with the donation of money...

Biblically speaking, am I right? Wrong? Almost but not quite?
"I've noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#2
Its short sighted to abandon education, the means with which you can help more in the future, so you can use your much more limited resources now and then become one of the people who needs help.

Work hard, and when you have an education and a solid, post graduation job use THAT money to help people.

Its like an investment :)

p.s. hi Chukie :)
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

User Info: _Falstaff

_Falstaff
6 years ago#3
I agree. don't abandon your education unless that's really what you feel called to do, but if God has put this in your mind, then consider dropping some other things. Skip that video game you were looking forward to getting or don't buy a coffee at Starbucks.

Needless to say that your money alone cannot solve all hunger and thirst in the world, but everything helps. Just don't place yourself in a situation where you're not able to help yourself, because then you're not helping anybody.
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.

User Info: Diranosaur

Diranosaur
6 years ago#4
As much as you can possibly afford. Don't abandon your education, however.

It's great that you're planning to follow the good parts of The Bible. Many Christians seem to skip those parts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. 1 John 3:17 - Helping the poor - how much is enough?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived