This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

User Info: Oogally

Oogally
6 years ago#1
It seems very odd and out of character, especially since the rest of his miracles are healing and the like. Not to say that Jesus doesn't elsewhere get angry, but the incident at the Temple seemed justified. More justified than exacting revenge on a tree, anyway.

User Info: Diranosaur

Diranosaur
6 years ago#2
He was really hungry and tired, probably. He was human, after all.

User Info: _Falstaff

_Falstaff
6 years ago#3
I had to look this one up. From my Bible:

"Jesus desired to eat of the fruit of the fig tree one more time before He died, but could not. Fig trees do not bear their fruit in the spring, during Passover, but in the fall of the year. However, fig trees do have a small, edible fruit that appears in the spring before the sprouting of the leaves. This tree was full of leaves, but had no fruit. It looked full of promise, but was empty - just like the city of Jerusalem and its beautiful temple. This miracle - the only recorded miracle of Jesus that involved judgment - illustrates God's judgment on the Israelites, who professed adherence to God but produced no fruit or spiritual reality."
9 days to go, and I'm out of here.

User Info: avonT

avonT
6 years ago#4
God hates figs.
Official Priest of the Temples of Syrinx.

User Info: actarus

actarus
6 years ago#5
http://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Library.sr/CT/BQA/k/72/Why-Did-Jesus-Curse-Fig-Tree-Mark-1112-14.htm

The fig curse is connected with the sixth seal in the future(after the abomination of desolation in Jerusalem).
For the people who stay passive( no fruits) instead of doing your Christian job by praying the gospel about kingdom of God over the world .
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mat%2024:7-22&version=KJV

The sixth seal in the future shall be worse than the Lisbon earthquake in 1755 "New England's Dark Day in 1780", and the Leonid Meteor shower of 1833 (Rev. 6:13)"
Even the smallest star twinkles in the dark

User Info: fudrick

fudrick
6 years ago#6
avonT posted...
God hates figs.

This.
Best FCs:
GH1: Decontrol | GH2: Jordan, Hangar 18 | GH80s: Because It's Midnite | GH3: One, Soothsayer | RB2: I Ain't Superstitious

User Info: CapoMafia

CapoMafia
6 years ago#7
Jesus - Larloch's Minor Drain
Fig Tree - Damage Taken (4)
I am a MENACE to your worldwide, mad, deadly Communist Gangster Computer God!
http://www.last.fm/user/Butch_Deadlift

User Info: FlashOfLight

FlashOfLight
6 years ago#8
Christ is emphasizing this teaching of the fig tree, with the other parables he talked about concerning what is expected of servants, but particular of the one about the fig tree ->

Luke 13:6-9

"He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none.

Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground?

And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it:

And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down."
Mattel Electronics presents... B-17 BOMBER

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#9
Those appearing to be fruitful, but are not, put on a false show towards men, but they are exposed towards God.

For a healthy fig tree, if it has leaves, it also has fruit.
This tree had leaves.
But no fruit.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

User Info: YingYang123

YingYang123
6 years ago#10
What if someone already picked the fruit?

Silly Jesus.
http://www.last.fm/user/HetlerSketler
Where are the cartographers of human purpose?
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived