This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

User Info: TheRealJiraiya

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#21
Dagorha posted...
TheRealJiraiya posted...
Dagorha posted...
So uh... Jesus cursed a tree simply because it wasn't a viable tree in order to make a point about people themselves? Seems a little conveluted.

Its his tree, if he wants to kill it to make a point I certainly dont have a problem with that.

It is an extremely childish action.

Why?
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#22
Didn't you know? Children are often known for teaching profound symbolic lessons about the nature of pretending Christians, and the destruction that awaits them
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops
the final bahamut 6 years ago#23
Why?

Because he's going "I is disappoint! You die!", instead of doing the mature thing and feeling Sorry for the fig tree. After all, from his perspective it would be as easy to make the tree bear fruit (thus helping not just himself but also the fig tree) as it would be to curse it.
E ys Bahamut! oui risyhc puna sa! Oui uvvaht sa cahcac!!!
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#24
the final bahamut posted...
Why?

Because he's going "I is disappoint! You die!", instead of doing the mature thing and feeling Sorry for the fig tree. After all, from his perspective it would be as easy to make the tree bear fruit (thus helping not just himself but also the fig tree) as it would be to curse it.

Yeah but if it was intended as a message then it wasnt about the tree - the tree was used to convey an important message, right?

Perhaps the tree was created solely for that purpose.
"An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup." -H.L. Mencken
the final bahamut 6 years ago#25
Yeah but if it was intended as a message then it wasnt about the tree - the tree was used to convey an important message, right?

I wasn't talking about the tree either </obvious>

I actually like that you say this. Not because it makes a good point, or because it was nice to point out or anything, but because it gives me something to bat you around with. See, now you're actively advocating the God who makes Judas so that he can damn him. The God who creates Evil simply to curse it. You're claiming that God would create a tree with the express intent of cursing and harming it, creating it merely so it may suffer.
DISCLAIMER: I'm not accountable for this post. I don't know English I just hit keys at random.

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#26

I wasn't talking about the tree either

So what about his message was childish?

"Those who profess to be something that they're not will be punished" is childish?
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""

User Info: CIA911

CIA911
6 years ago#27
There is a reason God curses the fig tree beyond his "disappointment" that it didn't have any figs. I can't even say that's the best word there since he already knew it wasn't going to have any figs. The fig tree represents the Nation of Israel. In about 70 AD, Israel ceased to be a nation. It had no homeland, but in 1948, it became a nation again. That's the fig tree being "in leaf", and we are to know that summer is nigh, which in turn makes the year 1948 very significant as well. Summer in the Bible identifies with harvest time. This lines up with the prophecy in Isaiah 66:7-8

Before she travailed, she brought forth; before her pain came, she was delivered of a man child. Who hath heard such a thing? who hath seen such things? Shall the earth be made to bring forth in one day? or shall a nation be born at once? for as soon as Zion travailed, she brought forth her children."

Written long before Israel stopped being a nation, the nation miraculously being "born at once here" in these verses is Israel becoming a nation again.
Job 38:4 - Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#28
Where does the fruit fit in with that interpretation, CIA?

Also, the tree was bearing leaves out of season so how would we know that summer was nigh?

TheRealJiraiya
6 years ago#29
the final bahamut posted...

I actually like that you say this. Not because it makes a good point, or because it was nice to point out or anything, but because it gives me something to bat you around with. See, now you're actively advocating the God who makes Judas so that he can damn him. The God who creates Evil simply to curse it. You're claiming that God would create a tree with the express intent of cursing and harming it, creating it merely so it may suffer.

I believe God may have created that tree for that purpose. That doesnt mean I believe that about everything in the universe. This isnt an all or nothing situation. I dont believe Judas was created to do what Judas did, I think God planned around it.

I also dont believe a tree suffers when it dies. I dont think its really comparable to a human being at all, tbh.
the final bahamut 6 years ago#30
I believe God may have created that tree for that purpose. That doesnt mean I believe that about everything in the universe. This isnt an all or nothing situation. I dont believe Judas was created to do what Judas did, I think God planned around it.

Yet you've opened the door for it. You've let your God has this method of operation in at least one aspect of the world. What is fundamentally different between this fig tree and an animal in the eyes of an Almighty and Eternal God? What is the difference between this fig tree and a man. If your God was all good, if your God by design to cause no harm, then we would have to say "Of Course He could not create Judas with the express intent of damning him", but now? Now you cannot say that you know. Now your God has made something with the express intent of having it wither and die.

I also dont believe a tree suffers when it dies. I dont think its really comparable to a human being at all, tbh.

It is alive, and it was cursed. By a God, no less.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived