This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

User Info: CIA911

CIA911
6 years ago#31
Where does the fruit fit in with that interpretation, CIA?

Also, the tree was bearing leaves out of season so how would we know that summer was nigh?

It's not about the fruit. It's about the tree itself. Jesus curses the tree to show that he was finished using National Israel to represent the kingdom of God at that time. But, later he then uses the parable and tells us that when the fig tree is in leaf, that summer is nigh. But the parable is used in connection with the great tribulation, like in Matthew 24 or Mark 13. They are directly connected with each other. When the fig tree, (Israel), again becomes a nation (being in leaf), which was in 1948, we know it's one of the signs to look for that the great tribulation is nearing us. God isn't using the word summer in that parable like a season. Summer is the great tribulation. It's as if the verse is saying:

"Once Israel becomes a nation again, the great tribulation is near."

Which became relevant when we came to the next Jubilee year after 1948, when Israel became a Nation.
Job 38:4 - Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#32

Jesus curses the tree to show that he was finished using National Israel to represent the kingdom of God at that time.

Well that seems awfully wrong. If the fruit has no significance, why did he look for fruit in the first place? Why did he notice that it had leaves out of season? Why didn't he use, say, a field of grass, or any other sort of vegetation to use his point across?

"he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season of figs" - Mark 11:13

Since it wasn't the normal season of figs, why would summer be near?

Your interpretation simply does not stand up to scrutiny, and it sounds like you just shoehorned something in, casually tossing aside aspects of the parable you deem to be unimportant.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

CIA911
6 years ago#33
Well that seems awfully wrong. If the fruit has no significance, why did he look for fruit in the first place? Why did he notice that it had leaves out of season? Why didn't he use, say, a field of grass, or any other sort of vegetation to use his point across?

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I didn't say the fruits had no significance, I said to understand the parable...and to realize the fig tree is a picture of Israel and relates to the Great Tribulation...you need to look at the tree, it's not really about the fruit so much as it is the tree itself. The whole tree withers away.

And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots. And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

There being no fruit represents National Israel never turning to God again. But much more significant is the tree again putting forth leaves, which is when it became a nation again.

But then when Jesus speaks again later about the fig tree, He says:

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

There is no mention of fruit here. The fruit will never grow again. Jesus says that. But God allowed Israel to become a nation again (Being in leaf) so we would know that the great tribulation (summer) is near, It's a prophecy and all of God's prophecies will come to pass. Israel will remain in unbelief till the end of time, no more fruit.

"he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season of figs" - Mark 11:13

Since it wasn't the normal season of figs, why would summer be near?

*scratches head. Summer is the great tribulation period. It's not...a season like we follow spring, fall and winter and summer.

Your interpretation simply does not stand up to scrutiny, and it sounds like you just shoehorned something in, casually tossing aside aspects of the parable you deem to be unimportant.

I haven't found any legit scrutiny in anything you've said. You just seem to think I discarded the fruit entirely, but really it just wasn't necessary to put in my post since I wasn't talking about the condition of National Israel on a spiritual level, but rather the Great Tribulation/God allowing Israel to become a Nation again.
Job 38:4 - Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
6 years ago#34

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I didn't say the fruits had no significance, I said to understand the parable...and to realize the fig tree is a picture of Israel and relates to the Great Tribulation...you need to look at the tree, it's not really about the fruit so much as it is the tree itself. The whole tree withers away.

So does the fruit, or lack thereof, have any significance? Because Jesus looked for the fruit. If that wasn't necessary, why would he do that?

There being no fruit represents National Israel never turning to God again. But much more significant is the tree again putting forth leaves, which is when it became a nation again.

Oh, nevermind my question about the fruit. You managed to shoehorn it in there.

And with that, you at least have an interpretation that covers everything.

I still like the one I use better.

But then when Jesus speaks again later about the fig tree, He says:

Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

This is an entirely different lesson that has no relevance to the earlier fig tree.
"this game is about reality. ... when you fire a gun you are not like "what is this am i shooting sausages?""
-General_Dong on Black Ops

CIA911
6 years ago#35
I still like the one I use better.

Color me surprised.

This is an entirely different lesson that has no relevance to the earlier fig tree.

K.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So what's with Jesus cursing the fig tree?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived