This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any moderate Christians here?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Any moderate Christians here?

User Info: kts123

kts123
3 years ago#141
BronyFriendzoni posted...
are you going anywhere with this?

Of course, one of the best ways to get a feel for what someone believes is by asking questions. :)
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS

User Info: BronyFriendzoni

BronyFriendzoni
3 years ago#142
New Advent can explain the process of Communion better than I can if you want to know what it entails:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07402a.htm

User Info: kts123

kts123
3 years ago#143
New Advent can explain the process of Communion better than I can if you want to know what it entails:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07402a.htm

Okay, I think I get your view on the Communion. What else is entailed in your relationship with Christ?
Chess!
http://www.chess.com/members/view/KyleTS

User Info: DG1up

DG1up
3 years ago#144
I guess I can be considered a Moderate Christian. I still use "profanity" (mainly because I believe that it's not the actual word that's wrong, but how you use it in context with what you're saying that makes it wrong), and I dont believe that the LBGT community should be as alienated as they are because according to the Bible none of us are perfect, we should'nt judge people unless we be judged ourselves, and all sin is equal. I dont even have too much of a problem with LBGT people raising kids.

However, I am against Gay Marriage, I dont believe that we should give up our Gun Rights, and the taking away of SNAP benefits from people (and from my experience a lot of elderly Women) is just completely wrong and un-Christian to do IMO.

I can pretty much be as liberal as the Bible allows me to.
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig.

User Info: Julian_Caesar

Julian_Caesar
3 years ago#145
I really just want people to stop pulling stuff out of their ass when trying to debate semantics. I wouldn't mind debating semantics if you had a point. But you don't.

I know what the word "moderate" means and I know what the word "Christian" means (the latter as defined by you, which is fine, and the former as defined by the dictionary, i.e. "in the middle").

And when "liberal/moderate/conservative" are used on their own by Americans (or anyone from other countries who is speaking about political issues, as you are), 99% of the time they refer to generalized categories of political beliefs.

"Liberal"--in favor of changing political structure to reflect forward-progressing values regarding resources and beliefs
"Conservative"--in favor of keeping political structure the same to reflect pre-existing values regarding resources and beliefs
"Moderate"--somewhere in the middle, whether 50-50 on most issues or in favor of both liberal and conservative ideology in different areas

That's an easy definition I just made up, which reflects what most people mean when they use any of those three words. And if those words are used to modify something else, just replace "politics" with "something else" to figure out what those words mean (in MOST cases).

So to get back to the point, you used the phrase "moderate Christian." As Moorish pointed out, you're using "moderate" as an adjective to the noun "Christian." English syntax dictates that when you're using that wording to describe a single "worldview," the noun is the established characteristic and the adjective is the modifier. Thus "moderate Christian," to any English speaker, most accurately means "A person whose Christian theology is best described as moderate." Which is most definitely NOT what you go on to argue about; what you are describing is "A person whose political ideology is moderate and is affected/accompanied by belief in Christianity." Thus, it makes more sense for your worldview to be described by a phrase in which Christianity is the adjective/modifier and political views are the noun/established belief. Or "Christian moderate."

So yeah, I guess you might be trolling? But in the case you aren't, just wanted you to realize that we weren't arguing about your definition of Christianity. We were pointing out that to any English speaker, your topic-title phrase doesn't accurately reflect what you go on to argue.

Also, everything in semantics is made up. That's why it's argued so often. You can use a different definition for "moderate Christian" all you want; that doesn't mean anyone else is going to understand what you say. There is no such thing as "peer-reviewed definitions of conversational phrases."
Every day the rest of your life is changed forever.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Any moderate Christians here?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived