This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

... but the decision I had made is where I am stuck

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. ... but the decision I had made is where I am stuck
the final bahamut 2 months ago#61
Dyinglegacy posted...
Faust_8 posted...
If you're correct, then the audience for this post is very specific.

So clearly a dying religion board on GameFAQs will reach SO many of those people, right?

Eh, you never know. Maybe he knew it was a long shot. Idk.

We both know that this isn't true though. In all likelihood, the fool thinks most atheists are really just hiding from God. And why did every Tom, Dick and Fanny think it was addressed to them? Because it was. That's how message boards work.
"The US military is not an effective proxy for humanity" ~ Folding Ideas
Faciendere id pro RAVz

User Info: Faust_8

Faust_8
2 months ago#62
The only reason I responded is because I want to dispel this myth about "choice" when it comes to religion and beliefs.

Nobody chooses to leave religion. It happens because the faith they had evaporated over time because of the evidence and introspection and analysis, or no faith ever truly took hold. Neither of those involves conscious choice.

In fact, for many leaving their religion involves a lot of emotional turmoil. They didn't WANT to do it. It's exactly the opposite of choice.

If you go to see a new movie, it's not a choice if you like the movie or not. You even go into the movie wanting to like it, to enjoy yourself and get your money's worth. But if it's not up to your standards, you don't like it. It is not all that different when it comes to evaluating truth.

So yeah to me the post is petty drivel, a plea with no substance. I just wanted others to not make the same mistake of thinking choice is a big factor here, because it's not. What your brain determines to be truth is not a matter of your conscious mind.
"A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic." --Carl Sagan

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
2 months ago#63
^i think we do have some ability to decide whether we'll allow ourselves to view or read or even think about some challenges to our beliefs because we're comfortable with our present worldview. I think we do carry some agency in that.
I steal your sock.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#64
Storm Shadow has some opinions about this topic
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
2 months ago#65
ave1 posted...
Dagorha posted...
So TC, what are you trying to accomplish now?

What do you want me to accomplish? Are you a prodigal?

Something? Anything.

No
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: Faust_8

Faust_8
2 months ago#66
SockThief posted...
^i think we do have some ability to decide whether we'll allow ourselves to view or read or even think about some challenges to our beliefs because we're comfortable with our present worldview. I think we do carry some agency in that.

Yes, but that's not really what I'm talking about.

The decision to view or read something is about one's actions, and not one's beliefs.

The tendency to ignore or explain away conflicting evidence that troubles you...well, a lot of that is an automatic defense mechanism. Our brains can respond to 'threats' to our worldview the same way it would respond to a physical threat. So it blocks out those things to preserve your mental state, that nice little equilibrium you have there in your ego. Your brain hates sudden upheaval, no matter who you are.

So it's less "that's troubling to my worldview, I'll ignore it to save face" and more "no way that's true! It's not even worth entertaining the idea!" You essentially fool yourself into not questioning yourself.
"A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic." --Carl Sagan

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
2 months ago#67
Faust_8 posted...
The decision to view or read something is about one's actions, and not one's beliefs.

Then I think that shows there is an element of choice when it comes to beliefs, and therefore there's some moral culpability if you hold to what you believe without having given the counterarguments a fair shake.
I steal your sock.

User Info: ave1

ave1
2 months ago#68
Hexagon posted...
ave1 posted...
Hexagon posted...
brb let me head to the library to look up that ancient book because you have provided no quotes or context. But let's play this game a little longer, in what way do you define language such that DNA is a language and not a medium for the storage of information?

Lol at that link sounds like you were trying to find a legitimate source that states that DNA is a language, but couldn't and settled for a blog. God forbid a blog doesn't use literary devices like metaphors to compare the genetic code to a language right?....

I'm intrigued by the phrase you used: "a medium for the storage of information"... hmmm

If you don't like the blog write-up that I provided as evidence that the DNA code is analogous to language, then maybe you might like this better: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/dnacodes/

Read the part that has the subtitle "DNA as a Sentence."

*raises eyebrow*

"Like words in a sentence, the DNA sequence of a gene determines the" are you referring to this simile? You're right, this figurative phrasing is certainly not a metaphor.

... where or who are you getting this line of thinking from? From my perspective, you are taking a position that somehow a simile is not making DNA something that's analogous to language, while a metaphor would be doing that....

I'd say a simile would actually be doing that, and that makes your point moot.
I have a new sig and this is it.

User Info: ave1

ave1
2 months ago#69
Faust_8: If you have been a person of faith who turned away from your faith due to Bible-related and miracle-related issues that seem to fly in the face of what is deemed to be completely true science, then it may not be your choice. (in that instance, you may be right.) Evolution and the interpretation of the purported geological column scientific evidence of fossils that backs it can be rather convincing to some, and so can certain genetic evidence. I recently read "Finding God in the Waves" which was a biography of a Christian who became an atheist after realizing science and the people who have certain scientific ideas conflicted with his faith too much, but then had a "God experience" that brought him back to Christianity- well, a very liberal version of Christianity. It was a very good read. He described how he pretty much had no choice but to leave his faith when he encountered things in the Bible that he thought just couldn't be reconciled with the purported "science" he was believing.

But what if the fall-away has nothing to do with a struggle to reconcile the truth of the Bible with the so-called "truth" of man? Maybe someone falls away because they had something unfortunate happen to them and they blamed God. Or maybe they pursued pleasures of this world and became convinced of those things being more truthful than the restrictive sin-busting religion they had been a part of at one time in their life. Or maybe they just felt abandoned by God. These people have a choice... they can still be brought back into the fold by the Good Shepherd who leaves the 99 sheep to go and look for the lost one. What I am saying is that there is hope. And the hope isn't just for these individuals, but even for the people like the author of "Finding God in the Waves" who at one time really had no choice in their leaving of their faith.

"With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." - words of Jesus Christ
I have a new sig and this is it.

User Info: Hexagon

Hexagon
2 months ago#70
ave1 posted...
Hexagon posted...
ave1 posted...
Hexagon posted...
brb let me head to the library to look up that ancient book because you have provided no quotes or context. But let's play this game a little longer, in what way do you define language such that DNA is a language and not a medium for the storage of information?

Lol at that link sounds like you were trying to find a legitimate source that states that DNA is a language, but couldn't and settled for a blog. God forbid a blog doesn't use literary devices like metaphors to compare the genetic code to a language right?....

I'm intrigued by the phrase you used: "a medium for the storage of information"... hmmm

If you don't like the blog write-up that I provided as evidence that the DNA code is analogous to language, then maybe you might like this better: http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/dnacodes/

Read the part that has the subtitle "DNA as a Sentence."

*raises eyebrow*

"Like words in a sentence, the DNA sequence of a gene determines the" are you referring to this simile? You're right, this figurative phrasing is certainly not a metaphor.

... where or who are you getting this line of thinking from? From my perspective, you are taking a position that somehow a simile is not making DNA something that's analogous to language, while a metaphor would be doing that....

I'd say a simile would actually be doing that, and that makes your point moot.

I don't know who I am. Maybe I'm someone privileged enough with the intelligence to understand the extent of an analogy and the subtleties of figurative language? Earlier you said: "DNA is a language" ,which is so ridiculous. Worst case it was a poor metaphor, but you didn't stop you went on about how it's a form of communication from a sentient being. Now you're linking to webpages on molecular biology that use the word language and think you made your point. You're wrong.
Those webpages are using direct comparisons to show that the concatenation of triplets are similar to how words are read in a language, but that in no way supports what you are saying. Not only that, but concatenation is not unique to words. You could scribble lines on a piece of paper and cut out jigsaw pieces and say its a form of communication because someone might try to restore the pieces of paper together. Or even more dangerously, someone might see a paper torn by the weather and think it was meant to be put back to together. Much like you see a soup of chemicals with a random assortment of reactions occurring simultaneously and thinking you see a message in your soup. But then you try to back-peddle "But its analogous to language!". So is the structure of DNA to the shape of rotini pasta, but DNA ain't no pasta.

I'm not surprised that you take issue with this though. I understand you; you're the type of person to create a salad of words with no consideration for the literal interpretation of words and their boundaries as long as the words have a meaning that fits with your message. I take it "with God all things are possible" doesn't mean God will write my master's thesis for me does it? No I didn't think so.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. ... but the decision I had made is where I am stuck

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived