This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Any movies with similar themes to "God's Not Dead," but actually good?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Any movies with similar themes to "God's Not Dead," but actually good?

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
2 months ago#11
ManLink4321 posted...
keybladesrus posted...
ManLink4321 posted...
How are the "God's Not Dead" movies awful?

They're awful in pretty much every way, honestly. I watched the first one because I like debates between atheism and theism, but I honestly can't think of a single thing the movie did well. The characters were bad, the acting was bad, the music was bad, the writing was bad, the directing was bad, the portrayal of every single non-Christian character was bad. I seriously can't think of a single redeeming quality in that movie. And from everything I've heard, the second one is worse.

How is everything you just mentioned bad in the movies? God's Not Dead movies contain too much truth for you to handle, right?

This is a very low level of effort even from you
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: Dancedreamer

Dancedreamer
2 months ago#12
ManLink4321 posted...
How is everything you just mentioned bad in the movies? God's Not Dead movies contain too much truth for you to handle, right?

The movie has bad writing.

Apparently that truth is too much for you to handle.
This isn't funny Dean, the voice says I'm almost out of minutes!
~Alexandra

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
2 months ago#13
Silence by Martin Scorsese was a pretty thought-provoking film and I've heard it lauded for not taking a side in the central debate of the film.

It's mainly about how much persecution would it take to get a Christian to renounce his faith.

I've heard some decry the film for taking a stance of the reality of the Christian religion because one character hear's God's voice toward the end of the film. I don't see it that way, though; my interpretation is that the character was just imagining what God would say to him in that moment.

So it's debatable how much the film takes a position but I thought it did a fine job of stepping back and letting the viewer decide how he wanted to think about each side.
I steal your sock.

User Info: ManLink4321

ManLink4321
2 months ago#14
Dancedreamer posted...
ManLink4321 posted...

The movie was based on real events. you also have no truth.
The Hero of Hyrule.

Dagorha
2 months ago#15
ManLink4321 posted...
Dancedreamer posted...
ManLink4321 posted...

It's sort of based on real events. Not that it matters, bad writing is still bad writing

User Info: rockoperajon

rockoperajon
2 months ago#16
ManLink4321 posted...
Dancedreamer posted...
ManLink4321 posted...

Uh, what real events were these? If the movie is based on any kind of actual event, I have a feeling they took A LOT of creative liberties when writing the script. Could you please give give us a link, or name a book or article that describes these "real events?"
"We few... We happy few..." -William Shakespeare
"We band of buggered." -William the Bloody

User Info: ManLink4321

ManLink4321
2 months ago#17
rockoperajon posted...
ManLink4321 posted...
Dancedreamer posted...
ManLink4321 posted...

Uh, what real events were these? If the movie is based on any kind of actual event, I have a feeling they took A LOT of creative liberties when writing the script. Could you please give give us a link, or name a book or article that describes these "real events?"

If you took the time to read the movie's booklet that came with it, Shane Harper says that he experienced everything in God's Not Dead to something that happened to him in college as he recalls it. Nothing that happened in the first God's Not Dead movie is made-up or even exaggerated.
The Hero of Hyrule.

Dagorha
2 months ago#18
rockoperajon posted...
ManLink4321 posted...
Dancedreamer posted...
ManLink4321 posted...

The Producer said he based it on some event he witnessed when a college student got in some kind of trouble when they refused to do something they thought went against their faith. So yeah, not real in the strictest sense at all. It's on Wikipedia with a notation if you want to go find it.

Dagorha
2 months ago#19
ManLink4321 posted...
rockoperajon posted...
ManLink4321 posted...
Dancedreamer posted...
ManLink4321 posted...

If you took the time to read the movie's booklet that came with it, Shane Harper says that he experienced everything in God's Not Dead to something that happened to him in college as he recalls it. Nothing that happened in the first God's Not Dead movie is made-up or even exaggerated.

Not to call you a liar but... got any proof? I'm pretty sure most people here never got a booklet with however they saw it.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#20
This might be the longest conversation anyone has ever had with ManLink
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Any movies with similar themes to "God's Not Dead," but actually good?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived