This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

User Info: Fatestaykitchen

Fatestaykitchen
4 months ago#1
Not spiritualism/non-materialism/meta physics/or like f***ing aliens or the matrix or some s***. I'm talking a theistic religion that has like f***ing canon texts and a nice sized following and s*** and I mean THAT religion specifically not "maybe there is a designer and I'm just assuming it's MY god just because" I also don't mean the f***ing "it's allegory and here is the moral use of it" I'm talking a convincing argument for the truth of the actual story being told here with all the magical creatures and creation myths and everything and that it actually maps onto reality in a credible way.

(Also when I say atheists I mean....well I dunno. If you're a witch or like one of those satanists who don't believe in actual satan etc I'm talking about you too. Former atheists are great too. Maybe. being converted from one religion to another. I definitely don't want to hear about stuff you heard goring up in a religious household. Just not really usefuł to me here. )

I haven't seen or heard a single thing in my entire life that sounded convincing even growing up in a Christian household. Even as a small child it all seemed like empty words and platitudes I never needed convincing an di dint think i have ever used the word atheist to refer to myself. Just unconvinced. . Religious argument videos websites (especially) movies and s*** are also full of boring dishonest/poorly thought out trash barely worth a second thought. I start to wonder how they expect to convince anyone.

But my atheist sister recently....what's the word here? Reconverted? Relapsed? Reverted? Back into the Christianity of her youth with the flawless logic that "when I pray good stuff happens and if that doesn't work for others like child sex slaves and people with cancer that's their problem "(exact quote) needless to say I was bored and a bit dissapaoinfed that was all it took but it did intrigue me s bit since ive never really seen anyone "relapse" like that. So, it got me thinking shout the type of stuff that could actually manage to convince people what it actually takes. What actually works on people.

Shoukd clarify this isn't about me searching for a compelling argument for myself. I want to know what compels other people here.

I guess I should probably expect Buddhism to be in here a lot.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IVn0MQsWA
Just a reminder that we live in a world where "twerk assault" can be said unironically

User Info: Lord_Ichmael

Lord_Ichmael
4 months ago#2
I could have answered until you specified a theistic religion. I'm in the nothing really sounds convincing boat. Personal experiences mean nothing to me and the source material of every religion I've looked at falls flat completely at being what it claims to be.

User Info: Hexagon

Hexagon
4 months ago#3
I saw this on an image board and it really got me thinking.
http://i.imgur.com/WkoR2iV.jpg

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
4 months ago#4
Tide comes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that.
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#5
WelshGamer82 posted...

You should read 1 Enoch 1.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Hexagon

Hexagon
4 months ago#6
YHWH_Saves posted...
WelshGamer82 posted...

You should read 1 Enoch 1.

http://i.imgur.com/nCt9xrG.jpg

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
4 months ago#7
Fatestaykitchen posted...
Back into the Christianity of her youth with the flawless logic that "when I pray good stuff happens and if that doesn't work for others like child sex slaves and people with cancer that's their problem "(exact quote) needless to say I was bored and a bit dissapaoinfed that was all it took but it did intrigue me s bit since ive never really seen anyone "relapse" like that.

I find your reaction kind of interesting. By the numbers she's conducted a repeated experiment there. She prays, and good stuff happens. She knows that first hand, by direct perception. She only knows that other folks pray and bad stuff happens via second or third hand sources. What is she supposed to do with that information, if not use it to inform her opinion on whether or not any gods exist?

I mean, if praying to a particular god is getting useful results for her, then at the very least it's pragmatic of her to keep doing it.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: Moorish_Idol

Moorish_Idol
4 months ago#8
The various cosmological arguments are probably the main reason I'm not an atheist today. Not the only reason, but they are what pushed me into this direction.

I don't find personal experiences, like what your sister said, to be compelling nor do I give much thought to them at all. It's a shame so many religious folk depend on them; even most holy books depend on them.
Not everything has to be about something.
Camofrog, Caroline, Chadder, Diana, Ketchup, Lyman, Olivia, Ruby, Shari

User Info: Dancedreamer

Dancedreamer
4 months ago#9
I have yet to hear a compelling case for any particular religion.

Also your sister sounds like a terrible person.
This isn't funny Dean, the voice says I'm almost out of minutes!
~Alexandra

User Info: Faust_8

Faust_8
4 months ago#10
Same here, nothing at all for a particular religion.

Everything else that's more vague (ie. arguments for some kind of deism or something) are at best a case of "possible but not probable."
"A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic." --Carl Sagan
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived