This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#41
Hustle Kong posted...
kozlo100 posted...
So I think most of the atheists around have checked in by this point.

Not me. Tc’s Attitude in the original post (and throughout the topic) is the exact sort of nonsense I feel like I’m too old to put up with anymore.

Ah man, in my head that sentence had a 'who are likely to' in it. I hate when stuff gets lost between brain and page. I did suspect this was the kind of thing up with which you would not put.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: HeadEXplode

HeadEXplode
2 months ago#42
There's nothing I've seen, heard, or experienced that points to a particular religion.

Stuflames posted...
I find evidence of medical miracles post-prayer interesting/compelling.

Post-prayer medical miracles would be compelling if not for the fact that you only hear about the small number of times it worked and not all the times it didn't. Not only that, but pretty much every religion that claims prayer works can point to similar miracles.
I started thinking, "Maybe the two of us should blow up this house." You know, just to get back at them for thinking I might blow up this house.

User Info: Nine_Breaker

Nine_Breaker
2 months ago#43
Hexagon posted...
Is there an example of a sound argument that's not evidence based?

A statement cannot be both true and false.
P is a true statement.
Therefore, P cannot be false.

User Info: Stuflames

Stuflames
2 months ago#44
HeadEXplode posted...
There's nothing I've seen, heard, or experienced that points to a particular religion.

Stuflames posted...

Post-prayer medical miracles would be compelling if not for the fact that you only hear about the small number of times it worked and not all the times it didn't. Not only that, but pretty much every religion that claims prayer works can point to similar miracles.

Agreed, but you asked for the 'most compelling' argument and that's one that has stuck with me as 'there might be something interesting going on here'.

That's as close as I've gotten, personally. *shrugs*
PSN: GolemSix

User Info: Stuflames

Stuflames
2 months ago#45
Sorry. Not you.

TC asked for the most compelling argument.
PSN: GolemSix

User Info: HeadEXplode

HeadEXplode
2 months ago#46
Stuflames posted...
HeadEXplode posted...

Stuflames posted...

Agreed, but you asked for the 'most compelling' argument and that's one that has stuck with me as 'there might be something interesting going on here'.

That's as close as I've gotten, personally. *shrugs*

Fair enough.
I started thinking, "Maybe the two of us should blow up this house." You know, just to get back at them for thinking I might blow up this house.

User Info: Hexagon

Hexagon
2 months ago#47
@Nine_Breaker posted...
Hexagon posted...

P is a true statement.

Well, for one the statement P is a true statement. is not necessarily a true premise. A statement that asserts something is true does not make it true. (If only the world worked like that). So I have to assume that premise is true in order for it to be true. But even if we assume it is true, clearly P is just a template for something. Earlier, you were talking about the ways to reason with knowledge for these "certain truths" that you called them that is not evidenced based. Clearly this example is just an exercise. Do you have an actual sound argument that is not evidence based?

User Info: OzymandiasIV

OzymandiasIV
2 months ago#48
kozlo100 posted...
Fatestaykitchen posted...
Back into the Christianity of her youth with the flawless logic that "when I pray good stuff happens and if that doesn't work for others like child sex slaves and people with cancer that's their problem "(exact quote) needless to say I was bored and a bit dissapaoinfed that was all it took but it did intrigue me s bit since ive never really seen anyone "relapse" like that.

I find your reaction kind of interesting. By the numbers she's conducted a repeated experiment there. She prays, and good stuff happens. She knows that first hand, by direct perception. She only knows that other folks pray and bad stuff happens via second or third hand sources. What is she supposed to do with that information, if not use it to inform her opinion on whether or not any gods exist?

I mean, if praying to a particular god is getting useful results for her, then at the very least it's pragmatic of her to keep doing it.

Without knowing more about her or her situation, we can't know if she made actual rigorous experiments or if this is just a case of confirmation bias. I'd ask her to consider and compare her privileges and to consider that correlation =/= causation.

It shouldn't be difficult for someone to consider that maybe their quality of life might have more to do with circumstance than it does religion.
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.

User Info: Nine_Breaker

Nine_Breaker
2 months ago#49
Hexagon posted...
@Nine_Breaker posted...
Hexagon posted...

P is a true statement.

Well, for one the statement P is a true statement. is not necessarily a true premise. A statement that asserts something is true does not make it true. (If only the world worked like that). So I have to assume that premise is true in order for it to be true. But even if we assume it is true, clearly P is just a template for something. Earlier, you were talking about the ways to reason with knowledge for these "certain truths" that you called them that is not evidenced based. Clearly this example is just an exercise. Do you have an actual sound argument that is not evidence based?

It's true because I defined it to be true. You don't need to assume anything.

User Info: Hexagon

Hexagon
2 months ago#50
@Nine_Breaker posted...
Hexagon posted...
@Nine_Breaker posted...
Hexagon posted...

P is a true statement.

It's true because I defined it to be true. You don't need to assume anything.

A premise is a claim not a definition...
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived