This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#81
@LinkFanatic I’m not angry or upset st anything. Just the tone of the TC came across as the sort of stuff I don’t feel like engaging with.

And of course I’d not expect you to be able to pick up on what is “off” with it. ;)
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: Fatestaykitchen

Fatestaykitchen
2 months ago#82
Hustle Kong posted...
@LinkFanatic I’m not angry or upset st anything. Just the tone of the TC came across as the sort of stuff I don’t feel like engaging with.

And of course I’d not expect you to be able to pick up on what is “off” with it. ;)

If we're being fair here your tone comes across as the sort of passive aggressive cowardly dishonest bulls*** that I find utterly worthless as well.

So it's probably win-win that you came in to participate in my topic just to announce that you wouldn't be parlicioatinin the topic even though you participated in the topic anyway and you're displaying red flags of a massive attention seeker and uh what was I saying again?

Oh yeah good riddance.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IVn0MQsWA
Just a reminder that we live in a world where "twerk assault" can be said unironically

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#83
Lol. I was replying to kozlo’s post. Otherwise I definitely would not have wasted my time.

Thank you though, for confirming my instincts.

Hopefully you feel better now after your little outburst.
Shooting Game never die.

User Info: Fatestaykitchen

Fatestaykitchen
2 months ago#84
Have to love how you'll sit here and talk about how much you want to do with me but when I return the feeling it's an "outburst". Not only that but despite being "too old" you engage anyway. Thanks for "confirming my instincts" almost to an exact science.

Now how about you finally get around to that whole "not participating in my topic" thing you've been saying in my topic for a long time now.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IVn0MQsWA
Just a reminder that we live in a world where "twerk assault" can be said unironically

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
2 months ago#85
Hustle Kong posted...

rip

I love you HK. I really do. But I stand by what I said earlier: the guy is under no obligation to respect religion. If he finds it silly, it is okay to express that, even in vitriolic ways like he did. It's not like he was dismissing all the followers of religion as stupid, just their beliefs.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#86
LinkFanatic posted...
But I stand by what I said earlier: the guy is under no obligation to respect religion.

Speaking only for myself, it's not that he doesn't respect religion that's grating. It's not even really the vitriol. There's just something about the overall tone and demeanor that foreshadows how conversations are going to go, and how exhausting they might end up being. There are definitely posts that are disrespectful of religion in vitriolic ways that look like they'd be stimulating to engage with. That was just not the case here.

And, it's not like he didn't stay true to form. Can't fault a guy for seeing that early and giving the whole thing a pass.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
2 months ago#87
I see what you mean, yeah, but I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes even vitriolic people turn out to be legitimate, just like you said.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#88
LinkFanatic posted...
I see what you mean, yeah, but I believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes even vitriolic people turn out to be legitimate, just like you said.

Yea, I do too a lot of the time. Like I said though, much as I'm not a fan of vitriol it's not the vitriol that's the problem, and I also can't fault anyone for not wanting to put in the effort.

Like, I can drive 90 miles to get a really good burger if that's what I want, but I can't really say anyone's in the wrong for looking at that burger and deciding they don't want to take the 90 mile drive it's gonna take to get it.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#89
That’s a pretty apt metaphor, Kozlo.

Now how about you finally get around to that whole "not participating in my topic" thing you've been saying in my topic for a long time now.

I wasn’t interested in participating in the original topic. I was interested in responding to Kozlo’s post, which is why I did precisely that.
Shooting Game never die.

User Info: darklao

darklao
2 months ago#90
Religion isn't about truth in the same way science is. Religion can be just a tool or a toy or an art.

A religious belief doesn't have to be true, only useful or in some way rewarding. In fact it can be demonstrably false and still be useful or in some way rewarding.

Because of this, "convincing" for most people isn't going to mean scientific rigor, it's just going to mean "not clearly false in a way I can be forced to recognize and care about."

I mean, people who talk about and compare religions might find possible truth or falsity, evidentiary backing, etc. as a kind of aesthetic way to differentiate good religious beliefs from bad ones, but they have different goals in mind than the person who is using a religious belief to get through the evil of the day, or woo a woman, or feel good about themself.

If a smashy rock gets the nut open, who gives a s*** if it's not a precision instrument, machined to exacting specifications?
[agitprop]
just words and so much skin
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So atheists what's the most compelling thing youve heard in favor of a religion

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived