This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

To the non-religious: Is Islam worse than Christianity?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. To the non-religious: Is Islam worse than Christianity?

User Info: Lord_Ichmael

Lord_Ichmael
4 months ago#1
This topic splits my ultra-left-wing political beliefs and anti-organized religion beliefs apart. On one hand, there's the liberals calling for tolerance for all beliefs and to not consider all Muslims bad because of the actions of a few, which I mostly agree with. On the other, new atheists and other atheists are glad to join in on Islam-bashing and saying it's bad for people, which I also mostly agree with.

I ultimately find myself in the middle: I think Islam is a little bit worse than Christianity on average because it calls for forming governments under Islam and thus makes oppression and discrimination by Muslims more likely. But I also think that Islam itself can't be fully to blame for that, because those countries are developing/3rd world, Muslims living in first world countries are relatively tolerant, and African Christian countries aren't much better than Islamic countries. But my knowledge of Islam is fairly poor so I don't know for sure. What do my fellow non-religious posters believe? I suppose Christians and Muslims could post too, but I'd take those with a grain of salt due to inherent bias.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
4 months ago#2
In a way, yes, but not inherently. Seems to me like religions grow and mature over time kinda like how people do.

I've always thought of Judaism and Hindu as the old guy who minds his own business and doesn't give anybody grief. He's too old and has been through too much to give a s*** any more. It's even part of his philosophy now.

Christianity is the young adult who just got out of college and is learning to deal with the rest of the world and generally getting on well with people who think differently, despite occasional disagreements.

Islam is the kid just getting into college and finding out they really aren't the badass they thought they were a year ago and is coming to terms with the fact that not everyone else is going to live by their ideas.

Though in less tongue-in-cheek tone, I do think it has a lot to do with how developed the countries are that host the religion. Most of the Muslims I've spoken to (from the US and England) speak of their beliefs as happy, peaceful and rewarding as Christians do, and have spoken of radical Islam the same way Christians speak of Westboro Baptists. They live in developed countries, so their lives are good enough that they can focus on the positive aspects of their beliefs and not have to worry about conquering and destroying enemies.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
4 months ago#3
It's worse, unless you are talking about the Assassins or the Janissaries who followed heresies of heresies. Granted they have modern counterparts but they are few in number.

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
4 months ago#4
No.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
4 months ago#5
What HK said.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: Moorish_Idol

Moorish_Idol
4 months ago#6
Yes. By far.

</disqualified because not non-religious>
Not everything has to be about something.
Camofrog, Caroline, Chadder, Diana, Ketchup, Lyman, Olivia, Ruby, Shari

User Info: simondrake

simondrake
4 months ago#7
Yes by a long long way.
The institution of Christianity has a lot to answer for but the two religions just aren't on the same scale.
To strive, to seek, to find. And not to yield.

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
4 months ago#8
What HK said
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow
4 months ago#9
I refuse to have a positive view of any belief that has a problem with pork.
"What did I ever do to deserve this as my fate? Other than all the sinning." http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1005-warhammer-40k

User Info: Lord_Ichmael

Lord_Ichmael
4 months ago#10
Moorish_Idol posted...
Yes. By far.

</disqualified because not non-religious>

I don't think deism counts. That's just theism. I worded it that way for a reason...
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. To the non-religious: Is Islam worse than Christianity?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived