This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand how people think their religion is the correct religion.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I don't understand how people think their religion is the correct religion.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
2 months ago#71
OrangeWizard posted...
dhalsimrocks posted...

But even then, before using it as evidence to show that Christianity is more probably true, we have to consider the probability that a high selling book is true...

But we've redefined the terms, haven't we? We went from #1 worldwide best-seller to top 3. Isn't that slightly different?

It seems like the outcomes can very easily manipulated by getting more vague or specific with the terms until you achieve your desired response.

Not at all, unless I'm wrong about the claim.

If the claim is "Christianity is more probably true because the Bible is the world's #1 best seller", then it is perfectly legitimate to ask if there is evidence to show that logic works. Otherwise it's just cherry picking a piece of evidence we like and using it to support our hypothesis.

The idea would be to show that there is strong evidence that people are more likely to buy books if they are true. Or to put it another way, to show that the most likely explanation that the Bible is #1 is because it's true, and that no other hypothesis explains that fact better.

So it is valid to examine other highly successful books to see if there is a pattern of people being more likely to purchase books that are true.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: Sokolov

Sokolov
1 month ago#72
Then what's the point of this board...?
scenariocampaign.ytmnd.com
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. I don't understand how people think their religion is the correct religion.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived