This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would it take for you to start worshiping the Greek Pantheon?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What would it take for you to start worshiping the Greek Pantheon?

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
2 months ago#11
Several of the gods would need to appear and demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that they were, in fact, real gods. An explanation of their previous absence on the world scene would also be helpful. I'd be disappointed if ancient Greek religion turned out to be true though---the afterlife benefits are poor.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#12
darkmaian23 posted...
that they were, in fact, real gods.

That's a part of the question that I had kind of a hard time with. What is a 'real god' anyway?

Take Thor, or even Odin from the Marvel movies. Are they real gods? If not, what would be different between then and the 'real' Thor and Odin?

I think the best I can do is that if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Special tests probably aren't required.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: Dyinglegacy

Dyinglegacy
2 months ago#13
Nothing. I already worship them.
PSN: KillingLegacy Gamertag: Killing Legacy

User Info: Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow
2 months ago#14
I'd have to discover some heretofore unknown Greek ancestry before I'd worship their gods.
"What did I ever do to deserve this as my fate? Other than all the sinning." http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1005-warhammer-40k

User Info: JosephSmith_JR

JosephSmith_JR
2 months ago#15
I would have to assume that Heavenly Father has brought them to Earth to test my faith in God.

User Info: Hexagon

Hexagon
2 months ago#16
JosephSmith_JR posted...
I would have to assume that Heavenly Father has brought them to Earth to test my faith in God.

What kind of omnipotent being has the need to "test" a human mortal to make sure they are following through? Like how does that even make any sense?

Also what happened to the whole "god is beyond human comprehension" thing that people go on about? I mean I can't say god is a flawed being and thus incompatible with being a deity for making humans to susceptible to disease and imperfect because I don't know god's design. But you're free to assume you know god's motives, his ambition, his thought process, and his means?

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#17
Hexagon posted...

What kind of omnipotent being has the need to "test" a human mortal to make sure they are following through? Like how does that even make any sense?

God told Abraham to go an sacrifice his own son, so there's a precedent for that sort of thing. I don't see what being omnipotent has to do with it.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ

Hexagon
2 months ago#18
OrangeWizard posted...
Hexagon posted...

God told Abraham to go an sacrifice his own son, so there's a precedent for that sort of thing. I don't see what being omnipotent has to do with it.

I thought the precedent was that in biblical times humans had lifespans that far exceeded that of modern day humans, uneducated people could be inspired through divine intervention to build arks that can survive the combined weight of two of every kind of animal. Was there something about the ocean being parted? Adam and Even and something about ribs?

I figure its a packaged deal. I believe either that this person was really told to sacrifice his son and that Adam and Even "really" existed, or they're all metaphors and never actually happened. Which should I believe?

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#19
Hexagon posted...

I thought the precedent was that in biblical times humans had lifespans that far exceeded that of modern day humans, uneducated people could be inspired through divine intervention to build arks that can survive the combined weight of two of every kind of animal. Was there something about the ocean being parted? Adam and Even and something about ribs?

I figure its a packaged deal. I believe either that this person was really told to sacrifice his son and that Adam and Even "really" existed, or they're all metaphors and never actually happened. Which should I believe?

I don't see what any of this has to do with the question you asked about testing humans, but you should determine for yourself what you should believe.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ

Hexagon
2 months ago#20
OrangeWizard posted...
Hexagon posted...

I don't see what any of this has to do with the question you asked about testing humans, but you should determine for yourself what you should believe.

It has to do me trying to be on the same page as you. Are we assuming that the account actually occurred or we treating it like a metaphor as with all the other disproven or unsubstantiated biblical claims? For example if you tell me it was real, then my next post would probably say how a direct command from god is a silly comparison for a test of faith because the command itself is confirmation of god, while @JosephSmith_JR is saying that an omnipotent being needs to leave a paper trail for him/her to follow like a game rather than being upfront and unambiguous. There is also the question of why does an omnipotent being need to confirm your faith in a way that you are perceiving it? For example an omnipotent being could read your mind and true feelings could it not without you knowing it? Or is the human mind a limit for omnipotence?

If it is metaphorical, I don't know I forgot what I was going to say. It would have probably been related to the second half of my first post though.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What would it take for you to start worshiping the Greek Pantheon?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived