This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you bother?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why do you bother?

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
2 months ago#1
It occurred to me that there might be any number of reasons for the lot of y'all engaging in these sorts of talks. I know that my reasons have evolved over the years, and can only answer for myself.

However, I'm genuinely interested in why you bother to engage in these admittedly head-aching discussions, when you undoubtedly understand that most of what you say will be misunderstood, misrepresented, or altogether ignored.

Do you do it because you like to "win" arguments? Are you open-minded and in search of ultimate truth? Do like to be antagonistic? Do you like to make peace? Do you think that you hold something of value that the population might benefit from?

I'll start.

I believe that Christ is the catalyst in humanity's move towards world peace, love and understanding. I believe that my Lord is the Prince of Peace, that His doctrine can save this world from its current path to hate/destruction. I believe that the world is sick, and that my God's truth is exactly the remedy that we all need. I don't think there is a sensible alternative "resolution" or "answer" to things like depression, murder or envy apart from Christ.

As a secondary reason, I think that the above things have been misunderstood, abused and slandered by those with a voice, and that many are denying these things because they haven't seen/heard an accurate depiction. I feel as though it is my responsibility to represent it accurately, even when it's unpopular or controversial.

Your turn.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
2 months ago#2
I come here because I care about what is true. If I see people making fallacious arguments or misrepresenting facts, I will call them out on it. I similarly enjoy being challenged or having mistakes pointed out on the rare occasions where I will post a topic.

User Info: Moorish_Idol

Moorish_Idol
2 months ago#3
I mainly still post here because I've been around long enough that I've grown to accidentally like most of the regulars. ;P

YHWH_Saves posted...
Do you do it because you like to "win" arguments?

I actually aim for "agree to disagree" these days because I'm not sure it's possible to "win" these sorts of debates anymore. As long as both sides understand the others' argument, I am happy.

Are you open-minded and in search of ultimate truth?

I think so.

Do like to be antagonistic? Do you like to make peace?

I used to try playing peacekeeper here but it just doesn't fit my personality very well. I don't think I'm antagonistic overall unless there's someone being particularly angsty or trollish.

Do you think that you hold something of value that the population might benefit from?

Yes; deism is poorly understood in general. I don't care about converting people but I do care about understanding, and I've studied it enough over the years to offer some of that I think.
Not everything has to be about something.
Camofrog, Caroline, Chadder, Diana, Ketchup, Lyman, Olivia, Ruby, Shari

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
2 months ago#4
I mostly bother because I have discovered and learned many things about the way others believe and even about what I believe. I've changed my mind about a number of things since posting here and I've even made some intellectual discoveries along the way. I understand my own position far more thoroughly and have even revised it.

There are some very intelligent people here on both sides of the fence and they've taught me through example and by argument what arguments work and do not work. They've helped me refine my own skills at discussing religious topics.

I also simply find the topic and the debate interesting in general.

I believe that Christ is the catalyst in humanity's move towards world peace, love and understanding. I believe that my Lord is the Prince of Peace, that His doctrine can save this world from its current path to hate/destruction. I believe that the world is sick, and that my God's truth is exactly the remedy that we all need. I don't think there is a sensible alternative "resolution" or "answer" to things like depression, murder or envy apart from Christ.

My secondary reason is that I believe exactly the opposite of this. I believe Christ is probably a myth and at best was just a human. I believe the world is much better than many Christians say it is and that it's not due to supernatural causes, but natural ones. I think the human condition is a direct result of behaviors that were naturally selected and that compete with each other. I also attribute it to flaws in human cognition, again due to the fact that natural selection does not produce perfection, but that which is effective at gene replication. Both morals and destructive behaviors are evolved traits and we are now at a point in civilization where we can understand the destructive behaviors well enough to allow the moral behavior to overcome them.

I absolutely do not believe that supernatural power is involved in destructive behavior and that believing that another supernatural power will fix it is a vain effort that will not solve anything, especially things like depression.

While I doubt it will be effective for the purpose, if anything I write helps direct people toward more realistic views of the world and solutions to the problems therein, all the better. But as you said, I think I understand people well enough to know that the majority of the time it will be ineffectual, just as preaching Jesus will be, which is why I consider it a secondary reason.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: OzymandiasIV

OzymandiasIV
2 months ago#5
YHWH_Saves posted...
I believe that Christ is the catalyst in humanity's move towards world peace, love and understanding.

Really? It's been 2000 years. Where are the results?

The world is a lot less violent than it used to be. Funny that secularism has also recently been on the rise, but I'll concede that correlation doesn't imply causation. But that doesn't mean it's not the cause, either
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.

User Info: Lord_Ichmael

Lord_Ichmael
2 months ago#6
I originally visited this board thinking there might have been some argument for the supernatural I had overlooked that could change my mind, so I argued a lot. But the effect on my beliefs has been next to non-existent, so I stopped bothering with that a few years ago. Now I'm here out of habit and to ask some fairly neutral questions, only occasionally making a comment in an argument. I also try to play peacekeeper at times. Mostly anti-troll, regardless of what their beliefs are.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#7
Moorish_Idol posted...
I mainly still post here because I've been around long enough that I've grown to accidentally like most of the regulars. ;P

Mostly this. I also just like talking about these things. It's fun for me.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow
2 months ago#8
Why do you bother?

Actually, it's the same reason I get out of bed in the morning or keep doing whatever it is I'm doing long beyond the point of physical or mental exhaustion: spite. And generally just being kind of a jerk.
"What did I ever do to deserve this as my fate? Other than all the sinning." http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1005-warhammer-40k

User Info: HeadEXplode

HeadEXplode
2 months ago#9
It's interesting to see what other people think and compare my ideas with theirs.
I started thinking, "Maybe the two of us should blow up this house." You know, just to get back at them for thinking I might blow up this house.

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
2 months ago#10
Storm Shadow posted...
Why do you bother?

Actually, it's the same reason I get out of bed in the morning or keep doing whatever it is I'm doing long beyond the point of physical or mental exhaustion: spite. And generally just being kind of a jerk.

I would expect nothing else from a Dark Elf.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why do you bother?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived