This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do you bother?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why do you bother?

User Info: Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow
4 months ago#11
Al-Uzza posted...
Storm Shadow posted...
Why do you bother?

Actually, it's the same reason I get out of bed in the morning or keep doing whatever it is I'm doing long beyond the point of physical or mental exhaustion: spite. And generally just being kind of a jerk.

I would expect nothing else from a Dark Elf.

Heyheyhey, that's Drukhari to you, mon'keigh! It has nothing to do with licensing issues and everything to do with...uh, elf stuff. You wouldn't und...

Oh, goddammit.
"What did I ever do to deserve this as my fate? Other than all the sinning." http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1005-warhammer-40k

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
4 months ago#12
Befuddled by your own shenanigans? Just as planned.

User Info: Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow
4 months ago#13
TZEEEEEEEENTCH!!

*shakes fist at the sky*
"What did I ever do to deserve this as my fate? Other than all the sinning." http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1005-warhammer-40k

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#14
It's a way for me to refine my own beliefs. Also, contrary to popular belief, people are capable of changing their minds via argument and reason. I've seen it happen, and I do it all the time.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

User Info: Faust_8

Faust_8
4 months ago#15
YHWH_Saves posted...
Do you do it because you like to "win" arguments? Are you open-minded and in search of ultimate truth? Do like to be antagonistic? Do you like to make peace? Do you think that you hold something of value that the population might benefit from?

Yes.
"A book is proof that humans are capable of working magic." --Carl Sagan

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#16
Faust_8 posted...
YHWH_Saves posted...
Do you do it because you like to "win" arguments? Are you open-minded and in search of ultimate truth? Do like to be antagonistic? Do you like to make peace? Do you think that you hold something of value that the population might benefit from?

Yes.

Good answer.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Musa-

Musa-
4 months ago#17
dhalsimrocks posted...
My secondary reason is that I believe exactly the opposite of this. I believe Christ is probably a myth and at best was just a human. I believe the world is much better than many Christians say it is and that it's not due to supernatural causes, but natural ones. I think the human condition is a direct result of behaviors that were naturally selected and that compete with each other. I also attribute it to flaws in human cognition, again due to the fact that natural selection does not produce perfection, but that which is effective at gene replication. Both morals and destructive behaviors are evolved traits and we are now at a point in civilization where we can understand the destructive behaviors well enough to allow the moral behavior to overcome them.

How do you explain Unit 731 and whatever else the Japanese to the Chinese (the rape of Nanking for example) did during WW2. Religion wasn't really involved. Clearly depending on human evolution is not good enough to find peace. And before you say we have learned our lesson, if like you to look at North Korea and see that no they haven't really learned anything.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
4 months ago#18
Musa- posted...

How do you explain Unit 731 and whatever else the Japanese to the Chinese (the rape of Nanking for example) did during WW2. Religion wasn't really involved. Clearly depending on human evolution is not good enough to find peace. And before you say we have learned our lesson, if like you to look at North Korea and see that no they haven't really learned anything.

I'm not saying that humans will always overcome their evolutionary baggage. That much is clear. Only that it's possible and I think understanding our behaviors scientifically is very important to do so. I also think attributing it to supernatural forces is a vain effort and could possibly result in not overcoming our evolutionary baggage. Furthermore, I think belief in the supernatural is itself a result of evolutionary psychology.

So maybe peace will one day be achieved by allowing our better behaviors overcome our destructive ones. Maybe you're right and we will not and will destroy ourselves. Neither possibility means supernatural forces are at work.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: Musa-

Musa-
4 months ago#19
dhalsimrocks posted...
Only that it's possible and I think understanding our behaviors scientifically is very important to do so

This part concerns me because Unit 731 was more or less a scientific research facility. By what you stated, you would permit something like that to happen again? If not, what moral compass are you using to prevent it, because one could argue that that research is necessary to understand human biology and behavior. But if you use a moral compass outside of science, then you go against what you're supporting in the first place

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#20
dhalsimrocks posted...
I also think attributing it to supernatural forces is a vain effort

What about the relevant, real world consequences of adhering to the moral code of Christ? "Let Your Kingdom come upon the earth just as it is in Heaven," is a call to action that places the utmost level of accountability and responsibility upon those claiming to do God's work to make it a better place.

The supernatural element is a referral beyond our "evolutionary baggage," towards which we can strive. It is a way of putting aside the man and working towards the betterment of mankind.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Why do you bother?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived