This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do you see the bias in secular news/science?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do you see the bias in secular news/science?

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#1
https://www.yahoo.com/news/study-disproves-bible-apos-claim-044956848.html

DISCLAIMER: I know and understand that "Christian" media and "science" often misrepresents data in order to make proof points, but this isn't about that.

How many believers can immediately spot the error in such articles (this is the latest of MANY)?

Answer:

Matthew 15:21-28 (Jesus speaks with a Canaanite woman from the region of Tire/Sidon)
Judges 1:31 (Israel does not obey God's orders to wipe out the Canaanites in the region of Sidon)

Conclusion: This article/archaeology actually - in trying to refute a misreading of scripture - proves a specific historical point - namely that the Canaanites actually did survive in number in one of the areas that the scriptures tells us should be the case!!!
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Moorish_Idol

Moorish_Idol
4 months ago#2
I don't think media is only biased against Christianity. It's biased in everything.

And they will always write whatever gets the most clicks, even if it means completely misrepresenting the data. If they had written Canaanite DNA found which is to be expected and not significant at all, nobody would care. :P

Whenever there's an interesting headline (usually science-related for me), I skim the article for a source then read the source if possible, because there's been way too many times where I've read the actual research and the conclusions are the complete opposite of what the news idiots say. I just don't trust mainstream media to actually be honest anymore or even hire people who know what they're talking about.
Not everything has to be about something.
Camofrog, Caroline, Chadder, Diana, Ketchup, Lyman, Olivia, Ruby, Shari

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#3
Moorish_Idol posted...
I don't think media is only biased against Christianity. It's biased in everything.

And they will always write whatever gets the most clicks, even if it means completely misrepresenting the data. If they had written Canaanite DNA found which is to be expected and not significant at all, nobody would care. :P

Whenever there's an interesting headline (usually science-related for me), I skim the article for a source then read the source if possible, because there's been way too many times where I've read the actual research and the conclusions are the complete opposite of what the news idiots say. I just don't trust mainstream media to actually be honest anymore or even hire people who know what they're talking about.

Good point. You're right. I don't want to turn this into, "They're persecuting us Christians, y'all hear?!?"

I try to remain unaffected, but then I think about the minority who will be shaken in their faith, or maybe prevented from entering, because they're unable to discern things for themselves.

But then I begin to think that we're all responsible for the level of self-study we engage in, and that if one believes something on the basis of implied authority, it really is their own problem to contend with, no?

This actually does bother me beyond consideration of my faith. Why can't people be smarter?

(I realize that some would think this applies to me)
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: OzymandiasIV

OzymandiasIV
4 months ago#4
Sure, I recognize bias in secular science. I prefer to call it skepticism, and that's kind of science's thing, you know.
Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sort of good at something.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
4 months ago#5
What Moorish said. Check for the source and read the source if there is one.

I saw this article myself and immediately recognized the flaws. The Bible never says that the Canaanites were entirely wiped out, only that God commanded them to be.

There's bias in religious media too. Somebody will make an archaeological discovery related to something in the Bible and now it proves the whole Bible is true.

I also like those fabricated news articles like the Egyptian chariots and army discovered at the bottom of the Red Sea, or the skeletons of the Nephilim or that scientists can't account for a missing three hours and some guys at NASA concluded it must have been when the sun stood still for Joshua. Those get spread around very easily.
May all your disgraces be private

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#6
OzymandiasIV posted...
Sure, I recognize bias in secular science. I prefer to call it skepticism, and that's kind of science's thing, you know.

Does it bother you in the same way as, say, I would be bothered if I heard someone preaching in favor of gun violence and nukes?

I don't mind skepticism; heck, 90% of the reason why I hold to unpopular beliefs is because I am highly skeptical of the intent behind modern Christianity. However, what about the blatant disregard for "facts?"

For example, the article posted above actually sort of confirms the biblical narrative, but because of the ignorance of the author of the scripture he/she's claiming to "disprove," it is positioned in such a way as to beckon doubt.

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#7
Here's the thing:

Despite whatever you might feel about our current administration or government..."Fake News" most certainly IS a real thing.

A few months ago, Reuters ran an article saying that Pope Francis claimed "It is better to be atheist than a hypocritical Catholic." REUTERS, of all people, ran with that. Except Pope Francis didn't say that - he was quoting what OTHER people might say when they see hypocritical Catholics.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-atheists-idUSKBN1621I3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/02/23/pope-francis-praises-the-torah-and-suggests-its-better-to-be-an-atheist-than-a-bad-catholic/?utm_term=.1d0d8c447f2b

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-better-atheist-hypocritical-catholic-vatican-holy-father-doctrine-roman-church-a7595841.html

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2017/02/23/pope-francis-suggests-better-to-be-atheist-than-hypocritical-catholic/21720539/

And since Reuters' articles basically go everywhere, it was shared by multiple news sites. Even though it's a blatant misquoting of what the Pope actually said. And oh by the way? Has there been a retraction, a clarification, or anything of the sort? Absolutely not, because they don't seem to actually care about that anymore.

This *seems* to be exactly the same nonsense going on again. Media outlets are desperate for ratings and thus they focus on clickbait headlines that hit on hot-button social issues. I'm sure this has always been a thing in some way, shape, or form, but it seems to be getting worse in the age of social media, which helps clickbait nonsense get more traction than it used to. What used to be an all-caps spam headline in your inbox is now becoming actual articles on actual news sites. Formerly prominent news organizations, rather than establishing a standard for journalistic integrity, are instead buying into this nonsense.

Nowadays if something isn't from the AP I don't even bother reading it, to be honest, and even then, I question its value
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
4 months ago#8
SSj4Wingzero posted...
"Fake News" most certainly IS a real thing.

I don't think anyone denies this. It was almost entirely responsible for the travesty of an election.

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
4 months ago#9
SSj4Wingzero posted...
Despite whatever you might feel about our current administration or government..."Fake News" most certainly IS a real thing.

Such as the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/science/ancient-canaanites-bible-lebanon.html
I steal your sock.

YHWH_Saves
4 months ago#10
Wow. Talk about crazy!

http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/eric-metaxas/fake-news-takes-aim-bibles-reliability-archaeology-reinforces-biblical

Justice!
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do you see the bias in secular news/science?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived