This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What are your thoughts

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your thoughts

User Info: Al-Uzza

Al-Uzza
3 months ago#11
Stuflames posted...
it sounds like an issue between Colbert and his maker.

User Info: LinksLiege

LinksLiege
3 months ago#12
I have to imagine the creator of everything has better things to do than worry itself about some lame comedian's jokes. And if it does, it probably doesn't have paper-thin skin.
This is LinksLiege's signature. It is fantastic.

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
3 months ago#13
Hustle Kong posted...
Seems

Stuflames posted...
Might

zerooo0 posted...
I thought

LinkFanatic posted...
I thought

JosephSmith_JR posted...
I don't see any reason

Al-Uzza posted...
sounds like

LinksLiege posted...
I have to imagine

Anyone else notice a trend in most of those who think it's fine to make fun of God/Jesus?
I steal your sock.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
3 months ago#14
SockThief posted...
Anyone else notice a trend in most of those who think it's fine to make fun of God/Jesus?

Aww, did I get kicked out of the group just because I was ok making a firm statement?

Seriously though, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make there. Can you elaborate some?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: ave1

ave1
3 months ago#15
Well-played, Sock Thief.
I have a new sig and this is it.

User Info: ManLink4321

ManLink4321
3 months ago#16
ave1 posted...
Well-played, Sock Thief.
The Hero of Hyrule.

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
3 months ago#17
The point might be that sock thief appears to be without reason?
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: Moorish_Idol

Moorish_Idol
3 months ago#18
Hustle Kong posted...
might

You did it again!
Not everything has to be about something.
Camofrog, Caroline, Chadder, Diana, Ketchup, Lyman, Olivia, Ruby, Shari

User Info: LinksLiege

LinksLiege
3 months ago#19
SockThief posted...

Anyone else notice your comment is pointless? I did.

My comment was more in God's defense than Colbert's anyway. I can't imagine a being powerful enough to create everything would also be so thin-skinned that some lazy jokes would make it cry.
This is LinksLiege's signature. It is fantastic.

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
3 months ago#20
LinksLiege posted...
Anyone else notice your comment is pointless? I did.

Just because you didn't pick up on it doesn't mean it wasn't there. I thought my point was pretty obvious but perhaps not.

So TC asks if Stephen Colbert- as a Catholic- should be make fun of God. I'm well-aware of Colbert's Catholicism; I've read two of his books, one of which was hilarious and one of my favorite comedic books of all time. That said, I read him for the humor and satire; morally speaking, he's virtually bankrupt. Like, I would question if he's even a believer, but it's more polite to simply say that if he is a Catholic, he's not a very good one.

When it comes specifically to whether it's appropriate for a Catholic to mock God/Jesus, as the TC asks- or if we can appropriate God's name/image to mock something else, however you want to look at it- I'm actually able to answer this using a Catholic's own guide to morality, life and the nature of God: the Bible. And guess what? The Bible itself says you're not supposed to mock God. God is holy and should be treated with respect and honor.

I mean, this isn't even a controversial theological issue for a Catholic. There's not some other verse in the Bible that says "it's cool to mock God" that we have to reconcile this with. It's cut-and-dried. I'm willing to have a conversation about it if somebody has a theological argument for the contrary, but I don't imagine it going very far.

The problem with most of the posts saying that it's fine to mock God is that none of them feature anybody going, "hhmmm, since Stephen is a Catholic, maybe we should consult the Catholic guide to morality, life and the nature of God to figure out whether there's anything immoral about making fun of God." Which is a pretty concrete place to start. Instead, everybody relies on their own reasoning, which I found kind of amusing but didn't make a whole lot of sense.

The problem with your comments specifically is that you're answering for a nameless deity, an "it," when Stephen isn't mocking a nameless deity but the specific God he purportedly believes in as a Catholic. I don't know what a nameless deity feels about being mocked, nor do I care to speculate. It's all imaginary as far as I'm concerned. But Stephen Colbert is a Catholic, apparently reading a Catholic Bible, worshiping the Catholic God described in it, and the TC was asking whether he's following the Catholic rules. Not whether he's following the rules of an "it" you imagined.

Then your second part of your comment about the it-god crying is a straw man. Something can be right or wrong regardless of whether someone is upset about it. And I would imagine that Stephen Colbert's Catholic God is indeed upset about being mocked. You can call that thin-skinned if you want; that's your own opinion. But that's not what TC was even asking about. He asked about Colbert's Catholicism. You can re-read the OP if you missed the point of that as well.
I steal your sock.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What are your thoughts

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived