This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Christians, if the Old Testament is not to be used to regulate your life...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Christians, if the Old Testament is not to be used to regulate your life...

User Info: Musa-

Musa-
2 months ago#1
Then why even have it in the Bible? It seems like a bunch of irrelevant information if you just say that "oh this doesn't apply to us, only the Jews of those times"

Is it just for decoration

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#2
I would think for the same reason maps and sometimes the deuterocanon is included.

Also, the NT frequently references the OT, so it seems like a good idea from that standpoint.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#3
We can still learn from history.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#4
Are books of law and regulation the only kind of literature that has value to you? Of course they aren't, and the same is true for Christians.

If nothing else, you should be able to see how the historical aspect alone makes it worth inclusion, yea?
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#5
Also, it seems to me like there is value in learning things even if they aren’t directly applicable to oneself.
Shooting Game never die.

Musa-
2 months ago#6
Okay but why include it in the Bible instead of having its own separate book

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#7
Musa- posted...
Okay but why include it in the Bible instead of having its own separate book

I'm not sure I understand the question. The old testament is its own collection of books within the greater compendium that is the bible.

You can also get it as a stand alone collection if that's your thing.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
2 months ago#8
The Old Testament is more than just law. It's stories of Creation, the history of Yahweh's relationship with mankind, the history of Israel and it's troubles and triumphs and how their relationship with God was affected by it. It's prophecy, poetry and prose that reflected the hopes, dreams, disappointments, sadness, joy and overall experience of God's people. It is also full of God's promises to his people. Most importantly for Christians, these promises and prophecies lead up to Jesus Christ. For Christians, Jesus is revealed all throughout the Old Testament and his life as described in the Gospels confirms the truth of prophecy and God's promises. Jesus, Paul and even others if I recall correctly, also make references to the Old Testament.

So the question should be, how could one not include the Old Testament?
May all your disgraces be private

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#9
I’ve seen and owned books that were just the NT.

I’m not sure I understand your concern super well. It seems super convenient to package both collections together.
Shooting Game never die.

Musa-
2 months ago#10
Okay
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Christians, if the Old Testament is not to be used to regulate your life...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived