This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is the Christian version of Heaven

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What is the Christian version of Heaven

User Info: Musa-

Musa-
2 months ago#1
First, is there a difference between heaven and paradise.

And second what does it (or both) consist of?

Is like similar to Islamic version where you basically have what you want, you'd be like a king, your own kingdom, get whatever you want, perfect health, lots of girls, etc.

Or something along the lines of spiritual peace?

User Info: Wes62

Wes62
2 months ago#2
Musa- posted...
First, is there a difference between heaven and paradise.

And second what does it (or both) consist of?

Is like similar to Islamic version where you basically have what you want, you'd be like a king, your own kingdom, get whatever you want, perfect health, lots of girls, etc.

Or something along the lines of spiritual peace?

The Catholic tradition teaches that there are two judgments. Every individual is judged immediately at death. If the individual is saved from sin, they are cleansed of any remaining attachment to sin and disciplined according to the severity of their sins (Purgatory) and then go to Heaven. This is not a bodily or temporal existence, but the soul experiences the glory of God. The idea of walking around in the clouds playing harps is just a popular image.

At the end of this age, all the dead are bodily resurrected and souls are re-united with their body. There is a general judgment which is public. Those who are saved have their bodies glorified. The saved will not be limited by time or space in the same way we are now. The Earth and all creation is also regenerated and glorified, and Heaven and Earth will be as one. All of the saved will have an eternal vision of God's glory. Not a literal seeing-with-eyes vision, but filled with His presence.

We don't know what all this entails, but it will be a moral existence, detached from sin, filled with the good. The idea that this will be full of literal, material wealth, such as being kings, tons of women (or men), playing X-Box, and all those types of material pleasures is not something I think is really compatible (certainly not the multiple spouses/concubines part).

Catholic teaching is that many of these wants we drive ourselves toward, whether physical pleasure, or mental entertainment, achievement, etc... are driven by a drive for the perfect good. We have a space in us which we're looking to fill with that perfect good, and we try to fill up this space with the lesser, finite goods we find in this life. Those things are not evil in themselves, in fact, good feelings are, in themselves, good. But they can never completely fill up that space. God is that perfect good, and that "vision" of God that one receives in Heaven fills up that space in us perfectly. It's a perfect fit, that internal drive to find the perfect good is satisfied when you find yourself in the presence of God.

I may have explained that poorly. The Catechism of the Catholic Church provides a better summary of Church teaching in Article 12:

Article 12 "I BELIEVE IN LIFE EVERLASTING"
I. The Particular Judgment
II. Heaven
III. The Final Purification, or Purgatory
IV. Hell
V. The Last Judgment
VI. Hope of the New Heaven and the New Earth

Each section is a pretty short read if you're interested. Here's a link to the table of contents: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM (just so you can find the appropriate sections under Article 12).
Sig

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
2 months ago#3
The idea I've always had is that paradise refers to the waiting place for saved souls and heaven was the eternal destination. Saved souls had to wait in paradise/Abraham's bosom until Jesus died on the cross.

I'm not sure if there's an airtight case for that but it's generally made a lot of sense to look at the terms that way as I read the Bible. Another possibility is that they're just two words for the same place.
I steal your sock.

User Info: Wes62

Wes62
2 months ago#4
Just a further thought, the Christian understanding is that God desires to glorify mankind (body and soul) by associating man with Himself and sharing His glory with them. That's really what Heaven from a Christian perspective is about.
Sig

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#5
Miss, if I may ask some questions about your background, i hope it is not taken as offense...

Where are you from? It seems like you might not be from a place where Christianity saturates the culture like it does in the US.

Your English is fluent enough that it hasn’t occurred to me that your cultural background may be that different.

Also, I apologize if I came off as a little crabby about the Bible in your topic. Again I have to point to my possibly foolish assumption that you shared the same cultural background as I do.

Thanks in advance!
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
(message deleted)

User Info: Musa-

Musa-
2 months ago#7
Hustle Kong posted...
Miss, if I may ask some questions about your background, i hope it is not taken as offense...

Where are you from? It seems like you might not be from a place where Christianity saturates the culture like it does in the US.

Your English is fluent enough that it hasn’t occurred to me that your cultural background may be that different.

Also, I apologize if I came off as a little crabby about the Bible in your topic. Again I have to point to my possibly foolish assumption that you shared the same cultural background as I do.

Thanks in advance!

I live in America but I was born in Pakistan. Never really learned Christianity since they don't teach it here in school either. So just wanted to learn a few stuff and compare it

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
2 months ago#8
My two cents:

There are several references to what we call "Heaven."

- "The Heaven" (as opposed to "sky," it is given a definite article) - this the dwelling place of God and where His actions into the world stem from

- "Paradise" - Jesus tells the rebel next to him on the cross that he will partake in "paradise," which is a Persian derivative of the word for "garden." The idea is that world conditions will eventually return to those of Eden, when Adam walked with God. Notice that Mary mistakes Jesus as "the gardener" when she first sees Him in His resurrected glory.

- "The Kingdom of God/Heaven" - used interchangeably to describe the spiritual rule of God that has already come in part, and will arrive in full eventually

- "Eternal life" - actual translation is often "life into the age of the ages" - this alludes to the full arrival of God's rule on the earth, hence why it is called "life of the age of the ages."

- "New Heaven/Earth/Jerusalem" - a reference to the coming of God's Kingdom after the untold mayhem/persecution of Roman during the 1st century.

Of these, I think the only that are relevant to a discussion of the Western interpretation of "Heaven," are the first two. Heaven is strangely enough not a focal point of the scriptures, at least not in the traditional sense of "be good, go to Heaven."
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
2 months ago#9
Also, "Heaven" for Christianity is very different than Islamic conceptions.

For example, Jesus clearly describes a state of being for which marriage/sexual contact are no long needed. We are destined to be "priests and kings" of the Kingdom, but only in the sense of having authority over creation by means of obedience in God's rule.

Our primary goal is spiritual comfort, freedom for the world's institutions of violence and sexual immorality, and fellowship with God.
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: Hustle Kong

Hustle Kong
2 months ago#10
Musa- posted...
I live in America but I was born in Pakistan. Never really learned Christianity since they don't teach it here in school either. So just wanted to learn a few stuff and compare it

Cool, thanks for the background. I met some Chinese Buddhists once who were asking me all sorts of questions about Christianity but was at a complete loss because I didn’t have a super religious upbringing and they were surprised I couldn’t answer their questions.
Shooting Game never die.
It prays that the clover of luck be always in your mind.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What is the Christian version of Heaven

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived