This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

User Info: omnichaos

omnichaos
4 months ago#1
I have a Christian family member who is a recovering alcoholic and hard drug addict. I wouldn't put doubt into his mind about his religion because that might cause him to relapse. I just avoid those conversations with him. But that doesn't mean I should go around everywhere else pretending that his religion is harmless. That would be selfish and idiotic.

I see so many people bringing up their Muslim friend at school who doesn't have a problem with gay people, and therefore come to the conclusion that Muslims don't have a problem with gay people. This is either amazingly myopic or incredibly dishonest. The intention is to bring people together, but it ironically drives people apart.

User Info: darkmaian23

darkmaian23
4 months ago#2
I don't know if I've seen more than a handful of real life situations where the opportunity to be critical arose without coming at the cost of either being a huge ass or alienating people. Like politics, religion is a safe topic only if you are fairly certain the people around you agree with you.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#3
Depends on the situation. If I was in a situation similar to the one you described, then I would refrain. Otherwise, I might not.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#4
darkmaian23 posted...
I don't know if I've seen more than a handful of real life situations where the opportunity to be critical arose without coming at the cost of either being a huge ass or alienating people. Like politics, religion is a safe topic only if you are fairly certain the people around you agree with you.

Pretty much. It doesn't help that the overwhelming majority of people who insist upon their "right" to "criticize religion" are generally asses that nobody likes and like to use that as a shield to hide their bigotry behind

Like when someone insists they have the "right to criticize Islam", they usually follow that up with making an extremely ignorant statement that's pretty offensive

99 times out of 100, there's no good reason in your typical interpersonal communications to bother bringing up things you don't like about somebody's religion or any aspect of their culture, to be honest. It does nothing of value. Ironically, it seems to be a new-age "White Man's Burden" type of thing to want to go around and "educate" people about how they should act or think, and it's almost always counter-productive.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: Villain_S_Fiend

Villain_S_Fiend
4 months ago#5
Nothing keeps me from being critical of religion in a broad sense, but I try to use some common sense and tact when it comes to individuals.

Like the OP example, I'm not going to try and tear down the faith of someone who's found a personal strength in it to help steer them from a tragic end. At most I'd say something along the lines of "I'm not a believer, myself." I can have my personal thoughts that what they believe in doesn't exist; I don't have to be an ass and say it. I'll save that stuff for arguing with someone who uses their beliefs as justification for words and actions I find unethical.
The food here is awful. My steak was so tough, halfway through my meal it got up and attacked my coffee and the coffee was too weak to defend itself.

User Info: Moorish_Idol

Moorish_Idol
4 months ago#6
I rarely find myself in situations where religion comes up at all with my family. It used to be worse back when I was a teen because my parents were sure Jesus was my only hope but they've since lightened up significantly.

My whole family is Christian. Like everyone. Yet when we have family reunions there will be a dinner prayer and that's about it, fortunately.

As for friends, I'll engage them critically whenever I feel they are using their religion to justify hate. I've lost a couple friends this way but also strengthened friendships this way. But again it doesn't seem to come up very often.
Not everything has to be about something.
Camofrog, Caroline, Chadder, Diana, Ketchup, Lyman, Olivia, Ruby, Shari

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#7
Frankly, unless someone is actually using their religion as an excuse or motivation to harm you, it doesn't seem as if there's ever any actual benefit to criticizing someone's religion other than to put yourself in a place of moral superiority.

Some self-perceived "intellectuals" think that they're affecting some sort of change by randomly calling out people's religious beliefs and claiming that they "have the right" to criticize those religions, but usually those people are jackasses and are better off being ignored
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: Dathrowed1

Dathrowed1
4 months ago#8
Nope, but I also care more about keeping the peace than being right.
sig

User Info: omnichaos

omnichaos
4 months ago#9
Many of you don't seem to realize the cover that religious moderates provide for fundamentalists.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#10
SSj4Wingzero posted...
Frankly, unless someone is actually using their religion as an excuse or motivation to harm you, it doesn't seem as if there's ever any actual benefit to criticizing someone's religion other than to put yourself in a place of moral superiority.

People can also walk away with a mutual understanding, appreciation, and/or entirely different perspectives from engaging in these kinds of conversations. You're simplifying it a lot.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived