This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#11
LinkFanatic posted...
People can also walk away with a mutual understanding, appreciation, and/or entirely different perspectives from engaging in these kinds of conversations. You're simplifying it a lot.

If that person is a friend that you know well? Sure.

If that person is a random person you've never met? Absolutely not
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#12
SSj4Wingzero posted...
If that person is a friend that you know well? Sure.

If that person is a random person you've never met? Absolutely not

To a point, sure. But ultimately, even people you know well can be close-minded. It depends entirely on how receptive the person is to pursuit of knowledge.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#13
But with a friend there's at least a purpose to it

With a stranger or someone you don't know well it's just stupid
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#14
SSj4Wingzero posted...
With a stranger or someone you don't know well it's just stupid

That seems like a non-sequitur.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#15
Uh, yeah, whatever

If you earnestly and honestly think that having a conversation where you "criticize" the beliefs of another person you don't know is something that is going to end well, then there's no point in continuing this discussion any further. I would figure that would be common sense.

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#16
I would say it's pointless since they don't know your intent (hence why I said "to a point" in my earlier post), so it definitely isn't pragmatic if that's what you're saying. But it's a non-sequitur because knowledge isn't a subjective thing, and therefore doesn't (or shouldn't) depend on the person you're talking to.

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#17
That being said, I wouldn't initiate a conversation in those settings, either, for reasons you already stated prior to your big edit. I'm pretty much just disagreeing based on a theoretical point.

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#18
You're being incredibly naive or arrogant in your self-perceived wisdom if you honestly think that people walk around looking to be educated by random strangers who call them out and criticize what they believe

An average person you don't know has no interest in hearing about how bad their religion is from a random stranger. If you seriously think that "I walked into a supermarket, heard about how bad Jesus was from this lady I bumped into, and that really got me thinking about how the church is evil" is something that might actually happen in real life, then that might finally confirm that it is indeed possible for even irreligious people to be delusional after all.

And yeah, you could get fired for it, but that's not even the only reason to not do it. People go to a place of business because they need a service or product. They go there looking for that and have things to do. If you overhear a random lady make a comment to her friend about going to church next week and you decide to accost her about how Jesus isn't real, that following conversation would be:

1. Rude and disrespectful assuming the lady was nice enough otherwise
2. Counter-productive, as the only possible outcome would be for her to think that all non-believers are sanctimonious jackasses like Bill Maher

Hence why you should, you know, not do it

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#19
There are plenty of instances where conversations like that can initiate with strangers in ways that aren't forced. I've seen it happen. I'm not gonna pretend they're common, but they're not impossible, either.

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#20
For some reason, you seem to be under the impression that I'm advocating actually attempting to start such conversations willy-nilly. I don't do that, but if the topic incidentally comes up, I think it's completely fair.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived