This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#21
SSj4Wingzero posted...
And yeah, you could get fired for it, but that's not even the only reason to not do it. People go to a place of business because they need a service or product. They go there looking for that and have things to do. If you overhear a random lady make a comment to her friend about going to church next week and you decide to accost her about how Jesus isn't real, that following conversation would be:

1. Rude and disrespectful assuming the lady was nice enough otherwise
2. Counter-productive, as the only possible outcome would be for her to think that all non-believers are sanctimonious jackasses like Bill Maher

Hence why you should, you know, not do it

Accost isn't quite what I had in mind. I'm referring to a more casual discourse, one that both parties can benefit from. I'm actually on your side in that scenario.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

User Info: SSj4Wingzero

SSj4Wingzero
4 months ago#22
I don't. It depends on *how* the topic comes up

If a random stranger mentions at a restaurant that he has to rush to a church event to meet somebody, that certainly does not give you carte blanche to start criticizing religion, because he:

1. Meant no ill will
2. Was not directing his comment towards you
3. Obviously was not inviting a conversation with you about the topic and you have no business discussing it with him
4. Will not be swayed by some rude jackass who suddenly decides out of nowhere to start talking trash to him
Edit: In other words, if a guy at a store you work at mentions that he has to run to church really quickly before coming back to pick up some more items, the only proper response would be to ignore it. Initiating a conversation about it, even if friendly, is stupid. No guy at a store wants to have a conversation about theology with the checkout guy.

Now if a random stranger walks in talking about how we should deport people who believe in religions other than his own, then that's an *entirely* different situation. Even then, I wouldn't start a conversation with him because I've no interest in it, but in that case you'd at least be justified in responding, although I'm not sure that'd even be the wisest course of action.

Edit: A "casual discourse" in which you criticize the other person's religion? It's casual to you because you don't agree with them - to them, it's incredibly disrespectful and offensive. Nobody wants to hear about a church sex abuse scandal from the deli guy at Kroger. You think of it as a "casual conversation" because you think religion is nonsense. As such you don't place the same weight on what you're saying as they do. Which is why you shouldn't have these types of conversations.
Not changing this sig until the Knicks win the NBA Championship! Started...4/23/2011? Or was it 2010?

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#23
Yeah, I'd refrain for reason number one alone.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

LinkFanatic
4 months ago#24
Anyway, my point was less about whether we should or shouldn't do it, and more about the fact that knowledge itself doesn't depend on how receptive you are to it. I don't think this would apply to very many actual real-life situations, though. It seems like we don't actually disagree on the main point, though.

User Info: omnichaos

omnichaos
4 months ago#25
SSj4Wingzero posted...
You're being incredibly naive or arrogant in your self-perceived wisdom if you honestly think that people walk around looking to be educated by random strangers who call them out and criticize what they believe

Speak for yourself. I want to know if I'm wrong about something.

User Info: DigitalFury_

DigitalFury_
4 months ago#26
In general, I'm not critical of religion. I'm interested in the history, the lore, the people (of the time) and the geography so I've read the bible and I read other religious texts but I don't believe in God, Heaven, Hell or Satan. My best friend is newly reborn (as of a couple years ago) and our conversations about his beliefs, his religions and my lack of belief are nothing more than that -- conversations. I don't criticize his faith because out of mutual respect for my own beliefs he isn't trying to convert me. We have sincere, blunt discussions on religion, the scriptures and the meaning of individual passages frequently.

There are no hurt feelings because the intent is never anything more than discussion
Currently Playing: Stories of Bethem: Full Moon and Blue Dragon
Currently Reading: The Quran and and Tao Te Ching

User Info: Maverick3000

Maverick3000
4 months ago#27
No, because being critical =/= being always negative or anti-religion. I bring up topics on critical to my families religious views, but I don't paint or present them in a negative way but present it as "Here is some cool research on the Bible!"
we're not all geniuses like you Maverick. >_> - AWrulez

User Info: ManLink4321

ManLink4321
4 months ago#28
DigitalFury_ posted...
In general, I'm not critical of religion. I'm interested in the history, the lore, the people (of the time) and the geography so I've read the bible and I read other religious texts but I don't believe in God, Heaven, Hell or Satan. My best friend is newly reborn (as of a couple years ago) and our conversations about his beliefs, his religions and my lack of belief are nothing more than that -- conversations. I don't criticize his faith because out of mutual respect for my own beliefs he isn't trying to convert me. We have sincere, blunt discussions on religion, the scriptures and the meaning of individual passages frequently.

There are no hurt feelings because the intent is never anything more than discussion

So, you are yet another person who is also ignorant of God, Heaven, Hell, and Satan.
The Hero of Hyrule.

User Info: DigitalFury_

DigitalFury_
4 months ago#29
ManLink4321 posted...
DigitalFury_ posted...

So, you are yet another person who is also ignorant of God, Heaven, Hell, and Satan.

Nope, not ignorant, I know the story and have read the books so I have knowledge on the subject. I just don't believe it. We are all lucky enough to be able to make such choices in this life
Currently Playing: Stories of Bethem: Full Moon and Blue Dragon
Currently Reading: The Quran and and Tao Te Ching

User Info: ManLink4321

ManLink4321
4 months ago#30
DigitalFury_ posted...
ManLink4321 posted...
DigitalFury_ posted...

Nope, not ignorant, I know the story and have read the books so I have knowledge on the subject. I just don't believe it. We are all lucky enough to be able to make such choices in this life

Which books have you even read, though? It seems as though you have a beginner's knowledge of the subjects involved, and that you want to brag about being a novice in the subjects for discussion in this topic, and also, on this entire board. Sry.
The Hero of Hyrule.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Do friends/family of a religion keep you from being critical of said religion?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived