This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has there ever been a time where you came close to changing your beliefs?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Has there ever been a time where you came close to changing your beliefs?

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
2 months ago#11
DigitalFury_ posted...
I've always been interested in the lore but I've put a bit more effort recently to learn more so I could support my newly reborn best friend

:)

Not many people would do this.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

User Info: BetaSquadron

BetaSquadron
2 months ago#12
After becoming an atheist, nope. There hasn't been anything remotely convincing about theism.

But I've become less dismissive of religion because religious people are often doing real work improving the lives of those in need where there are no comparable secular institutions. For example, in Latin America in the latter half of the last century, the prominent Christian gospel was liberation theology and Catholic priests took direct political action to improve the lot of the poor. On the other hand, a secular institution, the United States government, was on the opposite side arming and training death squads. So yeah, I'm gonna have to side with the Catholics on that one.

User Info: ManLink4321

ManLink4321
2 months ago#13
BetaSquadron posted...
After becoming an atheist, nope. There hasn't been anything remotely convincing about theism.

But I've become less dismissive of religion because religious people are often doing real work improving the lives of those in need where there are no comparable secular institutions. For example, in Latin America in the latter half of the last century, the prominent Christian gospel was liberation theology and Catholic priests took direct political action to improve the lot of the poor. On the other hand, a secular institution, the United States government, was on the opposite side arming and training death squads. So yeah, I'm gonna have to side with the Catholics on that one.

How is there "nothing even remotely convincing about theism?" Is your ignorance of theism supposed to be an argument?
The Hero of Hyrule.

User Info: DigitalFury_

DigitalFury_
2 months ago#14
LinkFanatic posted...
DigitalFury_ posted...
I've always been interested in the lore but I've put a bit more effort recently to learn more so I could support my newly reborn best friend

:)

Not many people would do this.

It's important to me to put effort into maintaining the relationships with people closest to me. If that means I read more passages of bibles so that we can continue to have new and interesting things to talk about then I'm cool with that. It doesn't hurt that I was already interested in the history, it also doesn't hurt that neither of us go into the conversations with the intention of converting the other, only to provide different view points.
Currently Playing: Stories of Bethem: Full Moon and Blue Dragon
Currently Reading: The Quran and and Tao Te Ching
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Has there ever been a time where you came close to changing your beliefs?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived