This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What do you do when a hymn/song starts playing at church?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What do you do when a hymn/song starts playing at church?

User Info: TriforceBun

TriforceBun
2 months ago#1
"Please open your missals to number 649..." - Results (22 votes)
Sing along, even if it's a new song
54.55% (12 votes)
Sing along, but only if I already know it
9.09% (2 votes)
Sneak glances at my neighbors to see if they're singing, then sing if they are
9.09% (2 votes)
Shuffle uncomfortably, avoid eye contact
27.27% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
My job is actually a church pianist/choir leader, so I'm always interested in hearing from the rest of the congregation! Are songs during the service something you look forward to, or something that makes you feel uncomfortable?

Naturally, the poll choices are only for those who have songs at their service. The rest of ya's can vote elsewhere! :p
www.bitfinitygames.com

User Info: Moorish_Idol

Moorish_Idol
2 months ago#2
I don't go to church anymore, but back when I did, I never really enjoyed worship. My mom would make me stand and hold the hymnal open but I'd just read along; I wouldn't sing. :P
Not everything has to be about something.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
2 months ago#3
Although I don't attend church any more, when I did the music was one of the parts I was most enthusiastic about. I sang bass and "church tenor" in the choir and could read music well enough to sing new songs. Actually, the church I grew up in had an unusually talented congregation (though small, at no more than 40 or so on an average Sunday). So the hymns sounded pretty good, especially the well known ones.

I got into contemporary music during the last several years of my Christian life, but I don't really miss it. But I do miss some of the traditional/classic music and hymns.

And you have my respect as a pianist and director, TC. I know the work that goes into that.
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#4
Eh, I just stand and listen. My voice isn't very good, so I'm not adding anything, and I don't get anything myself out of it, so I just don't do it. I'm not skittish or ashamed of that though, I don't feel the need to hide the fact that I'm not singing.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

User Info: enigma777

enigma777
2 months ago#5
I always sing a long but, if I don't know it and since I can read music pretty well, I try to go through and quickly figure out the tune before it starts.
Proverbs 26:4

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
2 months ago#6
Sing. I'm in the band, so I usually know it beforehand.
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.
Option 5: Rock Out.
"Shut your filthy whore mouth."- AB
"But if I shut my filthy whore mouth, I can't use it to be a filthy whore. Does not compute." - TashaMK

User Info: the_hedonist

the_hedonist
1 month ago#8
Sing along! Communal worship is very important to me. It saddens me that so many of my fellow believers do not join in. My voice is awful, but I just try to keep it soft enough to not disturb my fellow pewgoers.
Resurgam.

User Info: TriforceBun

TriforceBun
1 month ago#9
dhalsimrocks posted...
And you have my respect as a pianist and director, TC. I know the work that goes into that.

Thanks, I appreciate it!
www.bitfinitygames.com

User Info: omnichaos

omnichaos
1 month ago#10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rCnLFamb0c
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. What do you do when a hymn/song starts playing at church?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived