This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So what 'more evidence' does Christianity have over other world religions?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So what 'more evidence' does Christianity have over other world religions?

User Info: Fatestaykitchen

Fatestaykitchen
2 months ago#1
I've heard a few people say on this board that all religions aren't equal and Christianity has more solid evidence behind than say, Norse mythology or or like Aztec religion or the Olympians etc.

Fairly intriguing. It certainly doesn't seem that way in the slightest in fact it seems like Christianity is probably going to be the least solid of them all. Seems like you first have to provide something that makes Judaism and the Torah more solid than others first and that seems like a tall order.

I'd like to hear some of that solid evidence
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I8IVn0MQsWA
Just a reminder that we live in a world where "twerk assault" can be said unironically

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
2 months ago#2
You're probably just gonna get a bunch of anecdotes, assumptions, and possibly logical fallacies as well.
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808

Fatestaykitchen
2 months ago#3
There are some things I really hope I don't hear in this topic. I'm legitimately intrigued by this and I really hope I do t hear more of the boring bs you'd hear on like s YouTube channel
Just a reminder that we live in a world where "twerk assault" can be said unironically

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
2 months ago#4
Why don’t you enumerate what you don’t want to hear, so that people can filter that out of their explanations beforehand?
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

Fatestaykitchen
2 months ago#5
Because I'm more interested in the answers given than the question itself. I'll be frank I don't expect to hear anything even kind of convincing. It would shake me to my foundations if I did. But I don't expect that and that isn't my intent here. I just hope there is intriguing support for this intriguing claim. or if it was just more blind bias bubbling up.

The original question was in a topic of mine about how religious people justify these beliefs to themselves. That's my primary concern. In contrast to what I said I'm just as interested if it's just the same boring bulls***. It's just....that would be boring. I don't want to be right about that, you could say.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
2 months ago#6
Define "solid evidence".
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ

User Info: SilentStare

SilentStare
2 months ago#7
LinkFanatic posted...
You're probably just gonna get a bunch of anecdotes, assumptions, and possibly logical fallacies as well.

Eh, this, sadly.
Resident Self-Improvement Junkie.

User Info: Magyar15

Magyar15
2 months ago#8
More manuscript evidence exists for it's core documents. Doesn't prove it's true, but it at least offers evidence into what the early church believed, as well as against the claims that it was corrupted/coopted by secular governments.
A good man would prefer to be defeated than to defeat injustice by evil means - Sallust

User Info: 3127

2 months ago#9
From my perspective... religion is about human Nature, and our paths in this world. It is about individual and collective human Nature, and how the God(s) or Weltanschauung of that religion affect our own human Nature and personal (or collective) Weltanschauung, our choices, and our dreams and goals and ambitions. This is why it can be so powerfully utilized or exploited for or against people. Arguments about "proving" fantastical creation myths, compelling afterlife scenarios, connections to the "supernatural" etc in my opinion reveal on both sides of the argument a deep misunderstanding about why religion even exists.

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
2 months ago#10
I'm having a little trouble approaching the general question. Particularly in the case of the specific counterexamples you picked.

There are no practitioners of the old Norse religion, and the modern descendants of the Norse people do not say that Norse mythology is meant to be factual. The Olympians were said to physically live on Mount Olympus, which we know to be untrue. The Aztec religion also has no living practitioners, so it's just kind of hard to evaluate given that nobody knows what the proper interpretation of it is.

We do have living practitioners of Christianity, so we can get what is viewed as the proper interpretation according to whichever denomination we're interested in. That leads into the problem of what you are looking for 'more evidence' of. That the Christian god exists? That Christianity is useful to follow? That the bible reflects objective reality? Those are all different questions with different bodies of evidence that could be used as answers.

And finally, if what you mean by 'more evidence' is 'the thing that was finally compelling and caused a believer to believe', the really difficult bit is that evidence is most often unable to be shared. Sometimes even unable to be communicated. It's almost always some personal experience or internal insight. They could tell you about it, but you'd rightly dismiss it as anecdotal. The kicker is that to you it's an anecdote, the weakest form of evidence, but to them it's a direct first-hand experience, which is the strongest kind of evidence.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. So what 'more evidence' does Christianity have over other world religions?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived