This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

eternal hell makes no sense in Christianity

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. eternal hell makes no sense in Christianity

User Info: Zikten

Zikten
1 month ago#1
if the whole theme is redemption and forgiveness, than you can't have eternal punishment.

User Info: WelshGamer82

WelshGamer82
1 month ago#2
What if the whole theme in this life is redemption and forgiveness?
Amazing Love, How can it be? That you my king would die for me.
Amazing Love, I know it's true. And it's my joy to honour you.

User Info: YHWH_Saves

YHWH_Saves
1 month ago#3
Depends on what you mean by "punishment."

There are multiple theories which are derived from the text itself.

- A waste bin for trash; the wicked ceases to exist
- A foundry that never ceases to burn the flesh of the wicked
- Existing eternally in spirit without the presence of God; forced to wait outside the walls of God's new city for salvation that has already been denied
- Eternal servitude to the saints; "footstool"
- more
"Man will not live off of bread alone, but by every word proceeding through the mouth of God." "You are not able to serve God and wealth.".

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#4
As a Christan, I agree with OP, but there are different understandings of what hell is.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ

User Info: JoeyBowey

JoeyBowey
1 month ago#5
A few things.

Some believe hell is temporary which fits very much in line with Christianity's notion of penance.

Some believe hell is reserved only for non-believers which makes sense because you can obtain the mercy from that which you don't believe. Also, there is an interpretation that hell is simply non-existence "nothingness". So those that believe are rewarded with eternal life, while the rest simply die and cease to exist.

Zikten
1 month ago#6
WelshGamer82 posted...

if that's all God offers than he is evil. he makes people and then only lets them decide for 100 years, their eternal fate

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#7
Zikten posted...
WelshGamer82 posted...

if that's all God offers than he is evil. he makes people and then only lets them decide for 100 years, their eternal fate

Why is 100 years not sufficient?

Zikten
1 month ago#8
OrangeWizard posted...
Zikten posted...
WelshGamer82 posted...

Why is 100 years not sufficient?

you can't deserve eternal torment for something you did in a mortal life. at some point, it becomes overkill. that's how I view Hell. even Hitler doesn't deserve eternal punishment

OrangeWizard
1 month ago#9
Zikten posted...

you can't deserve eternal torment for something you did in a mortal life. at some point, it becomes overkill. that's how I view Hell. even Hitler doesn't deserve eternal punishment

I agree, but if you took "eternal torment" out of the equation, and replaced it with a reward, like heaven, would it be enough time in that case?

Zikten
1 month ago#10
OrangeWizard posted...
Zikten posted...

I agree, but if you took "eternal torment" out of the equation, and replaced it with a reward, like heaven, would it be enough time in that case?

well that's why I also tend to believe in reincarnation. in eastern religions, you have to live many many times for like centuries or more before you reach "heaven"
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. eternal hell makes no sense in Christianity

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived