This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does the bible say that the Earth is flat?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Does the bible say that the Earth is flat?

User Info: BraveSoul

BraveSoul
3 weeks ago#1
I've been reading my bible and it says the earth is stationary and that the sky is a dome. Does that mean that the earth is flat? Or is the bible not to be taken literally.
http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/mq52eff9e5.png
Deflated football, 4th, 5th, and 6th ring. Patriots will win SB52

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#2
People always say that the sun rises and that it sets. They don't literally mean that the sun is moving when they say this. Nobody but the most pedantic takes issue with these figures of speech

So why treat the Bible differently?

These are also figures of speech. The Bible does not say that the Earth is flat or stationary
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ
And yet they just had a Flat Earth meeting in North Carolina.
"Shut your filthy whore mouth."- AB
"But if I shut my filthy whore mouth, I can't use it to be a filthy whore. Does not compute." - TashaMK

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
3 weeks ago#4
I can never tell whether or not, or to what extent those flat earth societies are satire.

I mean, it's kind of a fun game to play, and it's super good trolling material, but if one actually had any interest in determining the shape of the earth for oneself there's like a dozen easy ways to do it that are available to anyone.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

BraveSoul
3 weeks ago#5
kozlo100 posted...
I can never tell whether or not, or to what extent those flat earth societies are satire.

I mean, it's kind of a fun game to play, and it's super good trolling material, but if one actually had any interest in determining the shape of the earth for oneself there's like a dozen easy ways to do it that are available to anyone.

Really, what methods?

User Info: kozlo100

kozlo100
3 weeks ago#6
BraveSoul posted...
Really, what methods?

If you're near a coast, you can watch a ship sail over the horizon. That provides a pretty clear indication of curvature. Looking at the shadow the Earth casts on the moon also provides good evidence that both the moon and the Earth are spherical. The fact that you can see farther from a higher point of view works as well.

One of the really fun ones is studying the shadows of two sticks you've placed on different parts of the ground. On a flat earth the shadows would be the same, but since the Earth is round they are not. The bonus part of this one is that if you're handy at measuring and math, you and your two sticks can work out the circumference of the Earth to a pretty high degree of accuracy.
Time flies like the wind,
and fruit flies like a banana.

BraveSoul
3 weeks ago#7
kozlo100 posted...
BraveSoul posted...
Really, what methods?

If you're near a coast, you can watch a ship sail over the horizon. That provides a pretty clear indication of curvature. Looking at the shadow the Earth casts on the moon also provides good evidence that both the moon and the Earth are spherical. The fact that you can see farther from a higher point of view works as well.

One of the really fun ones is studying the shadows of two sticks you've placed on different parts of the ground. On a flat earth the shadows would be the same, but since the Earth is round they are not. The bonus part of this one is that if you're handy at measuring and math, you and your two sticks can work out the circumference of the Earth to a pretty high degree of accuracy.

The boat over the horizon is law of perspective. Take out a telescope and you will see the boat again, indicating it did not go over the supposed curve.

The higher you go up just extends the vanishing point of perspective further. Also, the higher you go up, the more "curved" the horizon should be at its sides, but it actually remains flat no matter your elevation.

The moon's phases are actually caused by it being self-luminescent. You can actually take two thermometers out at night, put one behind a piece of cardboard and expose the other to the moon's light, and you will see that it the one exposed to the moon's light drops in tempature compared to the hidden one, proving the moon gives off its own light.

As for the sticks, where is "different" parts of the ground? 5 feet? No difference. Obviously you probably are insinuating longer distances, but actually the shadows are different on the flat earth if you look at the way the sun travels the earth in the geocentric model.

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
3 weeks ago#8
The prevailing view among modern scholars is that the Genesis account and much of the Old Testament is that of a flat earth cosmology. I think you could say that writings after the Hellenistic era usually fit better with a geocentric cosmology, but I'm less sure about that.

The idea of a flat earth covered by a dome, shielding it from the surrounding primordial waters not only fits the text better, but it fits with the cosmologies of other Ancient Near Eastern cultures of the time, such as Egypt and Mesopotamia.

The author of Genesis 1 is thought to have written either during the Exile or shortly after, so it could be his way of rewriting the Babylonian creation account according to how YHWH would have done it, rather than that fictional Marduk guy. The same author, in the Flood narrative, speaks of the windows of heaven and the fountains of the great deep flooding the earth, which is consistent with the idea of the earth and dome being surrounded by those primordial waters that were allowed in to flood the earth.

This is also how Jews interpreted the text for hundreds of years even after geocentrism caught on. The Talmud and other Jewish writings go into detail about where the sun goes at night (above the firmament or below the earth?), how thick the firmament is, what it's made of, how high it is above the earth, why the sun gets lower in the sky in winter, etc. So even if the Hebrew Bible does describe an accurate cosmology, nobody seemed to understand it that way until long after Galileo.
May all your disgraces be private

BraveSoul
3 weeks ago#9
I think most people don't understand that it wasn't Galileo who officially made people believe the Earth went around the Sun. It was actually the Church. The Church and Galileo "argued" and then the Church later "admitted" they were wrong and Galileo was right. After that happened, everyone suddenly believed in heliocentricity.

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#10
BraveSoul posted...

The boat over the horizon is law of perspective. Take out a telescope and you will see the boat again, indicating it did not go over the supposed curve.

Oh no
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Does the bible say that the Earth is flat?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived