This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ok, I choose to be very, very open-minded here; Convince me of christianity...

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Ok, I choose to be very, very open-minded here; Convince me of christianity...

User Info: str8Knowledge

str8Knowledge
3 weeks ago#21
And believing a book?

User Info: OrangeWizard

OrangeWizard
3 weeks ago#22
str8Knowledge posted...
And believing a book?

I don't know what you're trying to ask.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCevfumG9WSyr165n84HfwRQ

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
3 weeks ago#23
SockThief posted...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0941/8320/files/free-download-did-jesus-rise.png?4730113326832147507

Literally every single one of the "known facts" in that infographic is disputed.

There's another hypothesis not on there: the gospels and Acts are not reliable as history.

This is all taking for granted that "the book" is reliable and there are a great many reasons to believe they are not. Not that there's much of a chance for a Christian to ever accept them.

It's like saying, "Of course Osiris was raised from the dead. How can you say he wasn't when it's all over those temple and tomb walls in Egypt?" "Oh, so you don't think Remus and Romulus were nursed by a she-wolf? Well it says so right in that Roman writing. How do you explain that?"
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: SockThief

SockThief
3 weeks ago#24
dhalsimrocks posted...
This is all taking for granted that "the book" is reliable and there are a great many reasons to believe they are not. Not that there's much of a chance for a Christian to ever accept them.

“There are a great many reasons to believe the Bible is reliable. Not that there’s much of a chance for an atheist to accept them.”

We can go ‘round and ‘round, but is this actually productive discussion?
I steal your sock.

User Info: Thelema

Thelema
3 weeks ago#25
SockThief posted...
I would Second this and also say that on the issue of why you might believe Christianity is true, I would start with the historicity of Jesus and his resurrection. There are several historical facts we know to be true- that Jesus was a real man who was killed on a cross, that many people who knew him before claim to have met him afterwards and that he had risen from the dead, that his tomb was found empty, that the Christian movement began immediately after these things, and that the witnesses to his resurrection were repeatedly tortured and executed because they would not recant the story.

So you need to come up with some kind of worldview that takes these facts into account. Christians believe that Jesus was the divine God who inhabited a human body, died for our sins (so that we can go to heaven and are no longer responsible for our sins) and rose again three days later. If you don’t believe that you need a reasonable explanation for those facts. I don’t think there is another credible explanation, personally.

This is wrong, actually. Scriptures mentioning Jesus (other than the Bible) that were written at the time he (supposedly) was alive don’t exist.

Even if there were scriptures (other than the Bible) describing his ressurrection, the chances of them being wrong/lies would be much higher than the chances of them being true, based on our current understanding of reality.
Look into my eyes, you will see who I am. My name is Lucifer, please take my hand ~

User Info: Dyinglegacy

Dyinglegacy
3 weeks ago#26
"Ok, I choose to be very, very open-minded here; Convince me of christianity..."

I'm not sure that anyone can do that.

You can talk to people, and they can give you reasons as why they believe/disbelieve. Sometimes this may sway your inclinations, but it's hardly the final say.
PSN: KillingLegacy Gamertag: Killing Legacy

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
3 weeks ago#27
SockThief posted...

“There are a great many reasons to believe the Bible is reliable. Not that there’s much of a chance for an atheist to accept them.”

We can go ‘round and ‘round, but is this actually productive discussion?

It depends on what you mean by productive. At the very least it would illustrate the difference between what skeptics and Christians consider good evidence and proper methodology. Because that's ultimately what it comes down to.

There's a reason most critical scholars (who haven't signed a statement of faith by their institution) do not believe the Bible to be reliable history or fact. When proper historical and critical methods are applied and the evidence considered, the results aren't in favor of historical reliability. There are even liberal Jews and Christians who have come to terms with that.

This is why apologetics exists. It's essentially the act of trying to show why the conclusions arrived at by normal historical methods are actually wrong. It too often relies on ad-hoc explanations, supernatural explanations, unfounded claims and an appeal to possibility (it's possible, therefore it's probable).
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: thecoolgu

thecoolgu
3 weeks ago#28
Do you want to be a Baptist or a Protestant?

The former is super easy to become, while the latter is quite difficult.
This signature only exists because my post would be eccentric without it.

User Info: LinkFanatic

LinkFanatic
3 weeks ago#29
TC got b7?
The first 2 forms of Cell flaunted his tail, like he's Ron Jeremy. But after he absorbed 18 his tail retracted and only seemed useful for reproducing. -Byron808
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Ok, I choose to be very, very open-minded here; Convince me of christianity...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived