This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question for Christians: Why did God create life?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Question for Christians: Why did God create life?

User Info: iwasapoetonce

iwasapoetonce
1 month ago#1
Not to be combative or anything. This question is of sincere inquiry. Why did God create life? Generally, why did God create the universe, planets, and life.

More specifically, and this is the most important part.
Why did God create humans?

If you're not a christian, but some other religion, feel free to discuss why your specific religion has God (or gods) create humanity. Even if you're a free thinking theist, or an atheist, please feel free to add your two cents. I'm more interested in the God as portrayed in the Bible, but find other ideas interesting as well.
I need a bit of help lads with some rushes ya know like helix rush n tech spam, do you lot know anymore?/v316/samuraifaith/mad.jpg

User Info: kts123

kts123
1 month ago#2
Sure, because God is love. God is love, not in that God likes to love a lot, but in that it is His underlying substance. Hence a Trinity. In the idea of love between people, the community itself, the plurality of personhoods and the harmony between them is what is in God's image. God created us for love, in the most strict meaning-of-life sort of way. Why the sun rises and sets, why there is something rather than nothing, inherently stems from that God's eternal love is inherently selfless and decided to share itself.

A lot of things about Scripture come together rather peacefully in that context:

Only God is good, not in a pretentious sort of way but in the way we understand mutual love in community is what makes life worth living.
roomofpictures.com

User Info: dhalsimrocks

dhalsimrocks
1 month ago#3
kts123 posted...
Sure, because God is love. God is love, not in that God likes to love a lot, but in that it is His underlying substance. Hence a Trinity. In the idea of love between people, the community itself, the plurality of personhoods and the harmony between them is what is in God's image..

Why is that his underlying "substance" and nature? Where did that come from?
May all your disgraces be private

User Info: Dagorha

Dagorha
1 month ago#4
It always was.

Probably In the same way 1+1 always equals 2
Songs that the Hyades shall sing, Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in Dim Carcosa.

User Info: crazygamer999

crazygamer999
1 month ago#5
I take two aspects of it.

Religiously, God wanted to share the love.

Cynically, God wanted followers that would choose to follow him-much more impactful than just making people that were bred to follow the deity from the beginning.
The Asriel of the RPG:EE board. Monika is the only true waifu.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1312-the-ninth-dimension

dhalsimrocks
1 month ago#6
Dagorha posted...
It always was.

The problem with that analogy is that it can be proven that 1 + 1 equals 2. It is a consequence of the natural numbers.

Can "love is the substance/nature of God" be proven? Is God's nature the logical consequence of something?

Dagorha
1 month ago#7
dhalsimrocks posted...
Dagorha posted...
It always was.

The problem with that analogy is that it can be proven that 1 + 1 equals 2. It is a consequence of the natural numbers.

Can "love is the substance/nature of God" be proven? Is God's nature the logical consequence of something?

I suppose the Bible is proof on this front if you ascribe yourself to the Christian understanding of God.

Unless you mean what is the proof of God being love apart from the Bible which would be nigh impossible considering that proving God even exists without the Bible is really difficult.

But you're right. It's more akin to 1 = 1. Why does 1 = 1? It just does.

dhalsimrocks
1 month ago#8
Dagorha posted...

But you're right. It's more akin to 1 = 1. Why does 1 = 1? It just does.

There's still a problem however. 1 = 1 is a property of the natural numbers as we have defined them. For 1 to equal any other natural number defies the logic and principles of the natural numbers.

But you can't say the same for God. One can just as easily claim that "God is hate", or "God is ambivalence". And there's nothing to prove that one is any more correct than the other.

Dagorha
1 month ago#9
f***ing hell, I lost my response because my internet suddenly went out... Ok so here is the quick gist of what I said. Obviously a bit of the nuance was lost

We only know that 1=1 because of logic. How is utilizing the Bible to define God=Love any different.

dhalsimrocks
1 month ago#10
Dagorha posted...
f***ing hell, I lost my response because my internet suddenly went out... Ok so here is the quick gist of what I said. Obviously a bit of the nuance was lost

We only know that 1=1 because of logic. How is utilizing the Bible to define God=Love any different.

Because the Bible is an ancient religious text. That isn't logic. It is the word of an ancient religious person.
  1. Boards
  2. Religion
  3. Question for Christians: Why did God create life?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived