TRADES THREAD (not so secret Yonic HVAC Chronicles Blog thread)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. TRADES THREAD (not so secret Yonic HVAC Chronicles Blog thread)

User Info: ChokeStan

ChokeStan
1 month ago#11
Why didn't you just buy a pipe and a box fan and learn that way?

/tupa logic

(Sorry tupa, couldn't resist)
But I didn't put my hair in a pony tail for nothing so if I'm going home alone I'm not going at all.

User Info: YonicBoom

YonicBoom
1 month ago#12
Day 2 - hacking up copper tube and flaring it

Prof kind of just chucked us into the shop and asked us to chop 8 inches of tube off a long coiled piece. Cutting is easy even to do quickly so I don't get why people are having trouble with it. Anyhow... Flaring. Prof bought some nice flaring tools like so.
https://i.imgur.com/rlu6KUu.jpg

What he failed to tell us was anything beyond "flare some tube, here's some fittings to test it against." Once the tube was flared, we were supposed to cut off just the flare end and do it again and again and again until we ran out of tube.

What I learned:

- Don't look at what anyone else is doing, assume they're doing it wrong (even if they already work in the industry)
- I need to get a better reamer, the one built into my tube cutters sucks ass and takes like 5x as long as a good pencil reamer
- the "height gauge" built into the tube holder thing is dumb because in order to flare the tube enough for the fittings you'd have to go like a half inch above it

Some guys took a very long time to reach the end of their tubes. One guy managed to break a flaring tool so the Prof made him use a crappy old school one to show him why he shouldn't jack up awesome tools. Several others got their tools cranked down so tight that they had to stick it in a vice to undo it. This also resulted in some pretty f***ed up flares.

Online class stuff is pretty boring but I'm gonna stay one "unit" ahead of the class at all times (no restriction on how much you can do). I've been watching youtube videos of a lot of stuff we'll be doing in the future so I have some idea what to do when that time comes.

Tonight: we start wiring up control boards.
All these boomas like me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVkkHVl8QvE

User Info: Albtraum13

Albtraum13
1 month ago#13
Dang they have you guys getting right to it. First semester was just the science and physics of it all

User Info: r4X0r

r4X0r
1 month ago#14
The only certification I have is OSHA 10, which basically means that I know electricity can electrocute you and toxic chemicals are toxic.
Professionals are predictable- it's the amateurs who are dangerous.

User Info: nickels

nickels
1 month ago#15
r4X0r posted...
The only certification I have is OSHA 10, which basically means that I know electricity can electrocute you and toxic chemicals are toxic.

I’d be lying if I said my asbestos cert was much more than
“Seal yourself up, work under negative pressure, seal the asbestos up”
just a few miles from where the lesbian truck was
Albtraum13

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
1 month ago#16
My pesticides/cehmical license is basically: "Read the label and water fixes most everything".

In fact the instructor for the course said that if you pick the answer that says use water or read the label that you'll pass.
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana

User Info: Albtraum13

Albtraum13
1 month ago#17
Ive gotten CPR certs numerous times. Each class has slightly different counts and presses... In the event of someone passed out, i wouldnt know what the hell to do, as far as the precise pumps and pauses inbetween giving breaths. But someone makes a ton of money on the classes.

User Info: DragonGirlYuki

DragonGirlYuki
1 month ago#18
From what I heard about CPR, if you are not breaking ribs you are doing it wrong. It has been over 10 years since I took a CPR course in high school.
~Yuki~

User Info: r4X0r

r4X0r
1 month ago#19
When I worked for my borough the pesticide license was apparently hard to get.
Professionals are predictable- it's the amateurs who are dangerous.

User Info: Unsugarized_Foo

Unsugarized_Foo
1 month ago#20
The commercial license for pesticides is something you have to actually try for. If you work under a commercial licensed person it's just a matter of being alive to pass.

There's a couple other categories that are harder as well, but they're not awful. If I wasn't elbow deep in a grad Cyber Security program, I'd probably go that route. Good money in it; probably just as much or more than Cyber Security.
"All I have is my balls and my word, and I don't break them for anyone!"-Tony Montana
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. TRADES THREAD (not so secret Yonic HVAC Chronicles Blog thread)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived