TRADES THREAD (not so secret Yonic HVAC Chronicles Blog thread)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. TRADES THREAD (not so secret Yonic HVAC Chronicles Blog thread)

User Info: Albtraum13

Albtraum13
1 month ago#31
Yeah, the NATE certificate. I went to a 4 hour class today, and have 3 more, for the next 3 Mondays. Saw an old friend from high school there. Reviewed information, learned some new things, and the teacher just did a slide show of hack job photos of what not-to-do.

User Info: YonicBoom

YonicBoom
1 month ago#32
Day 5:

Tool check day. I have all my tools, so I got 100%. Most of the others were missing at least 1 or 2 things(moslty hard-to-find items). Prof was impressed with the price I paid for a nice set of wire strippers/crimpers ($16.xx) which are literally Klein strippers with Vise Grip branding. Thanks Amazon. He's gonna be buying several pairs at that price because apparently the Klein equivalent goes for $25-35.

Went out and played with the nice meters the professor bought for us to use for the first 8 weeks. Fieldpiece HS36 if that means anything to anyone here. Tested outlets of various sizes, terminals on boards, components, etc. Then we went back into the classroom and discussed electrical theory. It's nothing I hadn't already read about in the class e-textbook, but the prof has some cool ways of explaining stuff.

Of course, safety is #1 when dealing with electrical, so he's done his best to give us respect for the stuff by regaling us with all his personal zap stories as well as deaths he's heard of. Indeed, one of his stories came from just a few weeks ago when he was wiring a fan in his daughter's bedroom and learned painfully that someone grounded an adjacent room's power using the same ground as in his daughter's room. Someone flipped the lights on in the other room, the wires were not energized according to his meter when he tested them before, so he went ahead and got zapped hard.

No wiring done today. Makes sense though, can't have dudes frying themselves right out of the gate. Makes me wonder how the prof is gonna deal with the future classes where we will have to deal with high-voltage 3-phase goodness, but that's for another day.

Tomorrow: more playing with copper tubes, I think he mentioned brazing too. We'll see.

Oh yeah, got a new hat to keep my hair in order while I decide how to get it lopped off.
https://i.imgur.com/Xb2t9JA.jpg
All these boomas like me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVkkHVl8QvE

User Info: r4X0r

r4X0r
1 month ago#33
Don't get it lopped off. Hair should be treated on a "grow it if you got it" basis.
Professionals are predictable- it's the amateurs who are dangerous.

YonicBoom
1 month ago#34
DragonGirlYuki posted...
I am curious about the breakup if you are willing to share.

PDXRoverMech posted...
Focus on your career

It literally all comes down to this. That's as much detail as I'll go into. I've got 2 cold beers in the fridge to attend to, so goodnight all.

Albtraum13
1 month ago#35
Haha those Irwin strippers are my favorite. I have the 6", 7" and 8". And Irwin makes the best "channellock" wrenches. The 8" and 10" are the only useful sizes. Stanley also has the best adjustable wrenches "crescent" or w/e Get the 6,8,10,12", I've needed all 4 sizes, but the 6" and 8" are the most used. Seriously, the Stanley 6" opens WAY wider than the more expensive Crescent brand ones, and are way way better. I have a pair of $30 Klein multi-tool wire strippers as well as $5 Pittsburgh ones. My suggestion is the get SEVERAL cheapy's and all the Irwin sizes as eventually you'll leave them on rooftops and attics.

User Info: r4X0r

r4X0r
1 month ago#36
Albtraum13 posted...
And Irwin makes the best "channellock" wrenches. The 8" and 10" are the only useful sizes

Eight and ten inch are the only useful sizes? Malarkey.

https://imgur.com/7rtHiIm
Professionals are predictable- it's the amateurs who are dangerous.

Albtraum13
1 month ago#37
r4X0r posted...
Albtraum13 posted...
And Irwin makes the best "channellock" wrenches. The 8" and 10" are the only useful sizes

Eight and ten inch are the only useful sizes? Malarkey.

Yeah I have the bigger ones, and when something that big is needed I grab a giant pipe wrench.

Albtraum13
1 month ago#38
gucci wire strippers gucci cars
https://i.imgur.com/pb6Uz8G.jpg

YonicBoom
1 month ago#39
Day 6:

People are finally starting to realize the prof is serious when it comes to his deadlines on assignments/homework/etc. Lots of people felt the sting of zeroes or less-than-stellar grades on things they had to rush. Not a problem for me, as I intend to maintain an A average throughout the program.

More theory today, and catching up on some EPA cert stuff we didn't get to start on last week. Very classroom-heavy day, not much to report. I'm gonna head up to the school an hour early tomorrow to get some more practice in on flaring and swaging since i have nothing better to do.

Signups for next semester's classes open in a few days, so that's a thing.

User Info: coolsurfer800

coolsurfer800
1 month ago#40
I need to get a good set of wire strippers. I don't do electrical often so all I have is a crappy pair of stranded wire strippers that only go up to like 16 gauge.
No, John. You are the demons.
Moms are tough.
  1. Boards
  2. Cars and Trucks
  3. TRADES THREAD (not so secret Yonic HVAC Chronicles Blog thread)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived