DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.

User Info: Mario_VS_DK

Mario_VS_DK
2 months ago#141
I don't really know a whole lot about 5e, so I can't really comment on what I'd do. Since you're not doing classic gestalt though, I'd say that two martial classes would be the best option. At least, that's what I would do knowing what I know about Pathfinder and 3.5.
Stupid signature!

User Info: shadowsword87

shadowsword87
2 months ago#142
Mario_VS_DK posted...
I don't really know a whole lot about 5e, so I can't really comment on what I'd do. Since you're not doing classic gestalt though, I'd say that two martial classes would be the best option. At least, that's what I would do knowing what I know about Pathfinder and 3.5.

Ironically with 5e, with the exception of extra skills, it basically is just gestalt. Base Attack Bonus (and similar things) actually scale up with your overall level not class level.
Mario_VS_DK posted...
I don't really know a whole lot about 5e, so I can't really comment on what I'd do.

It shouldn't really matter, since I'm more asking which two classes seem to go together well for flavor reasons than how well they mesh mechanically.

shadowsword87 posted...
Bard Warlock. I like the idea of someone making some sort of pact with the devil for ultimate power

Nah. You'd clearly have to play them as a 1980s heavy metal vocalist who sold his soul for ROCK.

Also, they obviously travel with a Bard Barbarian who has a guitar made out of a battle-axe, which they can use to cleave people, but which also shoots lightning out of the neck.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt
2 months ago#144
ParanoidObsessive posted...
The DM suggests that they'd LIKE you to choose two classes for story reasons and combine them to make an interesting roleplaying character concept (like, say, making a Fighter/Mage who is a combat battlemage or a Cleric/Paladin who is a militant church-knight for their god), and not just power game and choose two classes that synergize best for optimal combat utility mechanically, but they can't straight up stop you from being a filthy munchkin if that's what you really want to do.

Ugh, so one of those games where I'm not even supposed to try to win? Why even put monsters in if I'm not allowed to try?
Fine! Fine. It's fine! *cough*

In a vacuum my first instinct is a Paladin/Ranger and go all RIGHTEOUS FURY smiter of evil people. (Rangers still get things for tracking and hunting specific targets in 5e right?) I've never gotten to play in a campaign so unsubtle that it would work, but the kid in me just loves the idea.
"Good is that which evil fears, and justice is making those fears a reality!"
>.>

Realistically, I'd assume a more "intelligent" setting and go for something like Druid/Monk and go pretty fierce with it, Rogue/Wizard because nothing is more infuriating than a sly bastard who knows magic, or Cleric/Fighter and just play it as Cleric because Cleric has plenty of versatility for storytelling in its mechanics to make up for the the Fighter's 'none'.
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev

shadowsword87
2 months ago#145
Nah. You'd clearly have to play them as a 1980s heavy metal vocalist who sold his soul for ROCK.

Also, they obviously travel with a Bard Barbarian who has a guitar made out of a battle-axe, which they can use to cleave people, but which also shoots lightning out of the neck

Oh right, that's why people don't play bards, the GM demands singing from the player.

Lightning Bolt
2 months ago#146
I hate singing bards.
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
Lightning Bolt posted...
Rangers still get things for tracking and hunting specific targets in 5e right?

Yes. Both stuff like general "favored enemy" bonuses which give you advantage on all rolls versus your enemy type, as well as more specific stuff like Hunter's Mark, which allows you to track and deal extra damage to targets for a short period of time.

Just a generic "evildoers" might be a bit too broad a category to apply favored enemy to, though.

Lightning Bolt posted...
Rogue/Wizard because nothing is more infuriating than a sly bastard who knows magic

That one is arguably canon - it was more or less the basis of the Arcane Trickster class in older editions.

Same for combining Wizard and Ranger - that's the Arcane Archer (sort of).

shadowsword87 posted...
Oh right, that's why people don't play bards, the GM demands singing from the player.

I'd never demand it, because I always feel like players shouldn't be forced out of their comfort zone. If a player WANTS to speak exclusively in first-person character voice, all the better, but if they're self-conscious and would prefer to say "My character says this, my character does this" or even something like "Bob the Mighty swings into the room and then says that he's there to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and bubblegum hasn't been invented yet", then that's fine, too. Same for singing.

Though I might not entirely welcome singing even if the player WANTED to do it, if only because I have sensitive ears and a string of sour notes and off-key bellowing would probably have me wincing and grinding my teeth the whole time. Though I could probably put up with it better if it was a mostly comedic style of game and the lyrics were funny, if the player was just so bubbling up with musical creativity that they felt like they absolutely HAD to do it.

I've always sort of thought about making a bard who has zero aural component, though (ie, no singing, no storytelling, no musical instruments, etc), and who channels everything through physical motion. Basically like the Dancer class in Final Fantasy Tactics or the Macabre Dancer class in .hack. Where they're basically just a bellydancer (maybe a Vistani?) who moves sinuously and generates the same effects as bard song (with maybe the sole concession towards sound being castanets used to keep rhythm).

I have no idea if that's ever been published as an official version of the class (I'm dead certain there's probably a dozen different web-original homebrews, but I don't really care about any of those sorts of class write-ups), but I know there was no option for it in the old AD&D Bard's Handbook (which I own).

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

Lightning Bolt
2 months ago#148
Just a generic "evildoers" might be a bit too broad a category to apply favored enemy to, though.

Just "humans" works. The anti-evildoers bit comes from the Paladin side. They do have a pile of anti-evil abilities right?
I don't know the 5e mechanics terribly well.
-The Rev

shadowsword87
2 months ago#149
Oh, not sure if I'm just super late to the party or what, but I recently made up some rules for a random stat generation for cities, and holy crap I forget how much fun it is to just roll some dice and see what happens.

User Info: Mario_VS_DK

Mario_VS_DK
2 months ago#150
Yeah man. Sometimes I roll dice just to roll them!
Stupid signature!
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.