DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.
I_Abibde posted...
Reminds me of my love of doppelgangers (and of giving them extra levels to keep them up as a real threat to the party, since they are otherwise relatively low-grade monsters).

Could always go The Witcher route, and rejigger them to take on the skills, memories, and relative morality of whoever's form they assume, meaning they pretty much become one of the worst threats PCs will ever encounter at any level.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: shadowsword87

shadowsword87
1 month ago#192
I_Abibde posted...
Reminds me of my love of doppelgangers (and of giving them extra levels to keep them up as a real threat to the party, since they are otherwise relatively low-grade monsters).

Well, to be fair, they are mechanically very similar.

Also my secondary love: blink dogs.
They're dogs that blink and out of existence! What's not to love.

User Info: Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt
1 month ago#193
I prefer the blink cats. Or dweomercats rather.
Any time they're targeted by a magic effect--say you shoot a fireball in their direction--they can teleport right next your face mid-pounce and full attack you.
Just any time you cast, boom! There's a tiger already mauling you!

Take that, casties! Play a real class!
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
(edited 1 month ago)
Quick question apropos of nothing:

Can anyone think of a good fantasy/magical flavor term for the concept of "uplift" (which is generally a science/science fiction premise)?

I've been mulling the idea of a setting in my head in which a superior long-dead progenitor race uses magic to "uplift" multiple primitive races for slave labor (more specifically, I'm pondering the idea that they created humans - and maybe dwarves - by tinkering with halflings, and managed to create elves by experimenting on gnomes), but it feels like the actual term "uplift" is too science-y in a setting which is 100% magic fantasy.

(While I was typing this post it occurred to me that they might refer to the idea as variations on the term "to exalt", but then it also occurred to me that while calling the process "Exaltation" would sound really neat in an ancient occulty magic sense, that would technically make the subjects of the process "Exalted", which leaves a sour taste in my mouth because another system has already called dibs on that name.)

shadowsword87
1 month ago#195
I guess the question is how it's done.
Druids already have that spell, it's called Awaken. They can do it as a level 5 spell.
Using science-magic you can call it efluvium, or whatever other mcguffin you want that is the progenitor for sentience.
Straight magic, the term could just be whatever weird ass ritual they have to go through, and then they wake up, and whatever their situation is, that's what it's called.

shadowsword87
1 month ago#196
I could use some help btw for writing and chosing specific word choices.
So I am working on re-writing all of the DnD stats to emotional stats.
Like Strength turns into Fury, Constitution turns into Stuborness, and I'm splitting Wisdom into Faith and some sort of emotional-feeling sort of name.
I'm just struggling to find good names for Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma, and said half of Wisdom for reading people/animals plus nature stuff.

I want to have a more emotional base for DnD characters, and then shove them in a generic dungeon to see how they do. Do the players roleplay more/differently? Do they have stronger emotions now that they have numbers to them? Do they fight monsters differently?

Any help for this would be appreciated.

User Info: Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt
1 month ago#197
Intelligence is Focus.

Wisdom is Calmness (or like serenity or whatever). Technically, Wisdom is "Grab bag of brain things we couldn't fit elsewhere" but that's none of my business.

Charisma is very happy to be described as "force of will". Based on that, I'd go with Dominance or similar. Keeps it from feeling like a dump stat, eh?

Dex I have no clue.
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
1 month ago#198
ParanoidObsessive posted...
Quick question apropos of nothing:

Perhaps a term like "Dedicated"? As in "The walls cannot build themselves. Dedicate that lot of aboriginals and send them to the quarries."
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.
shadowsword87 posted...
I could use some help btw for writing and chosing specific word choices.
So I am working on re-writing all of the DnD stats to emotional stats.
Like Strength turns into Fury, Constitution turns into Stuborness, and I'm splitting Wisdom into Faith and some sort of emotional-feeling sort of name.
I'm just struggling to find good names for Dexterity, Intelligence, Charisma, and said half of Wisdom for reading people/animals plus nature stuff.

Your real problem is that most of them don't really equate well to emotions, because half of them are blatantly physical, two of them are mostly mental, and one of them is less about your own state of mind and more about how other people tend to see you. At best, you could potentially find analogous "mental states", but "emotion" is an awkward label for most of them.

Also, I'd probably drop "Stubbornness" and "Faith", since neither really works well for what they actually are (and "Stubbornness" doesn't really sound suitably fancy/impressive).

I'd probably go with something like "Determination" for Constitution, if we're assuming it's more of a mental gritting of your teeth and pushing on rather than actual physical endurance. "Willpower" might also be a good fit, though if you combine that with using anger for Strength, you might start looking like a Green Lantern/War of Light pastiche (unless you want to straight up embrace that, in which case you should refer to Strength as Rage instead). Though Willpower could also work for Charisma, in the sense that most Charisma saving throws are more like pitting your force of personality and will against that of someone else, and at least part of the social presence you project to others is rooted in your own sense of will. On the other hand, Charisma could also be something like Bravado or Charm (though then you risk getting confused with charm-type spells and effects). You could also go look up synonyms for "chutzpah" or "pizzazz" in a thesaurus.

For Wisdom I'd probably go with something like Enlightenment or Awareness, because are the two sort of states that go with its usual functions (and either can sort of straddle both supernatural and physical knowledge of the world around you).

The problem with Intelligence is that it's more or less the opposite of emotion - it's the clarity of thought you get when emotions are stilled and logic becomes your prime mental state. And on that note, "Clarity" might be a good term for it. "Rationality" or "Intellect" might be other words that imply a mental state.

(And I'll be honest at this point, I'm trying really, really hard not to suggest Arete and Gnosis for Int and Wis. :-P )

Dex is hard because it's the most blatantly physical IMO, but I might steal "Focus" from Lightning Bolt and use it for Dex instead, because it could describe that mindset of pure focus and concentration when you're sort of "in the groove" and everything seems to flow, which is the kind of mindset that would definitely apply when dodging things, shooting bows, or just working on really intricate craft projects.

shadowsword87 posted...
I guess the question is how it's done.
Druids already have that spell, it's called Awaken. They can do it as a level 5 spell.

Awake only works on plants and lower-level animals, though.

Granted, one could assume power enough magic users might develop a higher-level/ritual version of the spell that also reshapes the physical and mental traits of sapient beings, but that would still need a new name, so we're right back in the original boat.

My idea was mostly that a powerful heavy-magic race/culture (I was thinking about a Githyanki/Githzerai-esque sort of race) that could replicate most "technological" feats with pure magic would eventually decide that it would sure be swell to breed their own slave races to do all of their work for them (in sort of the same way humans are currently developing robotics). So they'd basically send recovery teams out into the wild, scoop up mostly primitive (or even feral) "lesser races" (in this case, gnomes and halflings), magically tinker with them for a bit, and then breed them over time like dogs, preserving strains they consider useful in some way, sterilizing out ones they view as negative traits.

In this specific case, the idea was that this race bred humans and dwarves out of halflings (with humans being the halflings who were bred for height and versatility while dwarves were bred for hardiness and compact strength), while elves and orcs were bred out of gnomes. Then each servitor race gets assigned its own specialized tasks (ie, you don't send an elf to go dig in the mines, you don't ask dwarves to hand you things off of high shelves).

Eventually, there was either a slave revolt that killed all the masters and destroyed their empire, and the slave races all sort of spread out on their own and started establishing their own cultures and kingdoms (and "Common" is probably a pidgin form of the empire's original language, since it's the one they all have in common to begin with, vis-a-vis Latin in Europe), or you go the "killed by decadence" route where the masters became so reliant on their slaves and so averse to personal effort that they eventually die out (like the Spacers in Asimov's Robot novels).

Either way, most of the surviving races would never admit to their own shameful beginnings, so whenever someone discovers an ancient magitech ruin somewhere they all just assume it was their own ancestors who built it "before the fall" or some other false scenario that cast their origins in a far better light (like, say, being the chosen race of the progenitors specifically blessed with their mandate, and thus inherently better than everyone else).

1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.