DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.

User Info: KthulhuX

KthulhuX
1 month ago#261
I_Abibde posted...
ParanoidObsessive posted...
That being said, I have no real opinion on the quality of C&C because I've never played it.

In response to your post as a whole: The C&C devs seem to make the bulk of their money from selling modules, which makes sense if you consider the 1st Edition roots of the game. Old school dungeon crawling and adventuring definitely still have their audience (... hence another game called Dungeon Crawl Classics). I do not think I have seen any C&C splatbooks, but there exists a ton of modules.

Honestly, I vastly prefer this style of RPG publishing. Splat upon splat upon splat bore me...I prefer settings and adventures. (Although i will admit to a weakness for monsters...the more monsters, the better).

User Info: shadowsword87

shadowsword87
1 month ago#262
Lightning Bolt posted...
And I still have no freaking idea how to make crafting not suck!

Because it's not interesting in any way shape or form? Also failure isn't interesting, because the timescale is so long that success or failure is just a question of how much money you spend, it's just boring as hell.
What are the players trying to do that requires crafting though? Little do-dads that don't do anything should always be free, because they're flavor and fun. Large scale siege weaponry? You're playing some sort of hell of game and I want in. Crafting magic items? Just spend the gold and move on with it.

User Info: Mario_VS_DK

Mario_VS_DK
1 month ago#263
Welp. Looks like I'm playing a half naked half elf for a few sessions.
Stupid signature!

User Info: GhostGiblet

GhostGiblet
1 month ago#264
Nice... me and some friends played DnD for a few months but half of them got bored of it so we don't play anymore. Sucks because it was super fun and it was something I looked forward to. I really liked how it was more open ended, and you could use magic and attacks in creative ways that you wouldn't be able to in a video game.
The wannabe artist formerly known as Snoopydance

User Info: I_Abibde

I_Abibde
4 weeks ago#265
Had a good time trying out the Shadowrun 5th Edition battle system today. Tons of D6s! We're just making sure we get a handle on that before we start running a real session, since it can get pretty confusing for new people.

Mario_VS_DK posted...
Looks like I'm playing a half naked half elf for a few sessions.

Better carry a torch, mate.
-- I Abibde / Samuraiter
Laughing at Game FAQs since 2002.

User Info: Lightning Bolt

Lightning Bolt
4 weeks ago#266
shadowsword87 posted...
What are the players trying to do that requires crafting though?

Nothing. I just don't like having no good system for something so fundamental. That and travel are just general annoyances I haven't figured out a fix for yet.

GhostGiblet posted...
Nice... me and some friends played DnD for a few months but half of them got bored of it so we don't play anymore. Sucks because it was super fun and it was something I looked forward to. I really liked how it was more open ended, and you could use magic and attacks in creative ways that you wouldn't be able to in a video game.

You could play online! There are a bunch of neat digital tabletops, Fantasy Grounds and roll20.net come to mind as the forerunners.
One day dude, I'm just gonna get off the bus, and I'm gonna run in the woods and never come back, and when I come back I'm gonna be the knife master!
-The Rev
(edited 4 weeks ago)

shadowsword87
4 weeks ago#267
Lightning Bolt posted...
Nothing. I just don't like having no good system for something so fundamental. That and travel are just general annoyances I haven't figured out a fix for yet.

If something is bad and nobody uses it, is it really bad? A question for the ages...

Also, any time someone mentions crafting in any RPG ever, I just remember that anyone with some points in crafting can literally create infinite sticks in no time at all. Soooo, it's all kind of silly.
Lightning Bolt posted...
shadowsword87 posted...
What are the players trying to do that requires crafting though?

Nothing. I just don't like having no good system for something so fundamental.

There's an argument to be made that crafting isn't all that fundamental (or at least SHOULDN'T be), and it's really only the s***tier excesses of modern indie gaming that have led people to think that complicated crafting systems should somehow be mandatory in every game ever.

In D&D terms, characters are adventurers, not artisans. Improvised crafting in the field (or the dungeon, as it were) should mostly be more or less handwaved away to keep the flow of RP moving (ie, you don't need complicated rules to adjudicate simple item creation), and if they're engaging in far more complex crafting (especially of magical items) with the intent to sell them on a major basis they're probably playing the wrong game in the first place.

That being said, I'm not going to pretend that the occasional story of a campaign where the players give up adventuring entirely in favor of becoming entrepreneurial merchant princes by crafting and selling magic items (or renting rooms and offering support services in an inn built directly outside the mouth of a famous local dungeon) isn't occasionally fun and interesting to read, but it's not really playing within the bounds of most existing RPGs. It's like being the crazy person who loads up Skyrim and then spends 100 straight hours avoiding fights entirely and just devoting the entirety of your time to mining, harvesting, crafting, and cooking (and inventing your own rules for paying "rent", eating meals, and sleeping regularly).

shadowsword87 posted...
If something is bad and nobody uses it, is it really bad? A question for the ages.

Not really. If something is bad, and nobody uses it BECAUSE it is bad, then it's still bad.

(See also, the rules for playing FATAL)

Now, if something has a reputation for being bad, and no one uses it because of that reputation, so there is literally no one who has actually played it to know for sure that it IS bad, then yes, it's actual quality becomes a question, but it's not really a "tree falling in a forest" sort of situation here.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

shadowsword87
4 weeks ago#269
ParanoidObsessive posted...
That being said, I'm not going to pretend that the occasional story of a campaign where the players give up adventuring entirely in favor of becoming entrepreneurial merchant princes by crafting and selling magic items (or renting rooms and offering support services in an inn built directly outside the mouth of a famous local dungeon) isn't occasionally fun and interesting to read, but it's not really playing within the bounds of most existing RPGs.

Oh please, the amount of times I've thought about running a game where everyone are villagers in a stereotypical village that adventurers start in is crazy high.
Just seeing what it's like on the other end of the table would be fun for at least a session or two.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
shadowsword87 posted...
Oh please, the amount of times I've thought about running a game where everyone are villagers in a stereotypical village that adventurers start in is crazy high.
Just seeing what it's like on the other end of the table would be fun for at least a session or two.

You can think about running that game all you like, the fact remains that there's very few systems specifically built to run it, and very few players who would be interested in playing it long-term (especially if roped in by expectations of playing a very different sort of game to start with).

Generally speaking, if you're sitting down to play a murder hobo simulator, most people are going to want to play murder hobos, not accountants.

That being said, if you DO want to play a game that mostly revolves around the more mundane aspects of life in a fantasy setting, there are plenty of card games and board games these days that simulate crafting and economy-type playstyles.

But for the most part, players showing up expecting a session of D&D aren't going to be happy if you bait-and-switch them into playing something like Lords of Waterdeep instead.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. DMed my second game of DnD yesterday.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.