If I worked on the set of Arrow, I would never get anything done.

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. If I worked on the set of Arrow, I would never get anything done.

User Info: Conner4REAL

Conner4REAL
1 month ago#61
Also every arrow story that doesn't suck is ripped from batman.

And he shoots a bow. In a world of guns. That's like chopping your arm off and then choosing to fight Muhammad Ali in his prime....

It's like bringing a knife to a gunfight.
"there is a real human centipede situation happening in the men's room" - Hon Ruth bader Ginsberg.

User Info: Zikten

Zikten
1 month ago#62
Conner4REAL posted...

that's cause he's basically the Batman for that universe. They can't use Batman, so they took the next best thing.

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
1 month ago#63
I thought the Superman influence was obvious. Being sent to just before the destruction of his home planet, fighting for good and against others of his kind. (And a possible nod where Superman gets powered up by the sun, and Goku does by the moon.)

There's all kind of influences or references to other series in DBZ. Lots of tech and the Namek/Frieza arc have Star Wars influence, and Androids/Cell had Terminator.
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai

Zikten
1 month ago#64
keyblader1985 posted...
Androids/Cell had Terminator.

Trunks: Come with me if you want to live

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#65
Zikten posted...
Conner4REAL posted...

that's cause he's basically the Batman for that universe. They can't use Batman, so they took the next best thing.

Blue Beetle II?

keyblader1985 posted...
I thought the Superman influence was obvious. Being sent to just before the destruction of his home planet, fighting for good and against others of his kind. (And a possible nod where Superman gets powered up by the sun, and Goku does by the moon.)

So basically it's a fan-theory on your part? And a fairly weak one at that? >_>

There are so many holes in your fan theory that I could dive a planet through them. Overlooking that no "influence" has ever been acknowledged by the creators, you seemingly forgot that Goku was introduced in Dragonballs as an unexplained orphan with an Asian mythology/fantasy influence (Sun Wukong) long, long, long before DBZ gave the franchise a space retcon and, even after DBZ kicked up, many of the fantasy influences remained (ie, the power everybody channels is still "ki," the glaring monkey king nods remain with the sayains, etc)

As for the planet Saiyan being destroyed, it was clearly a plot device to explain why the universe wasn't overrun by Saiyans given how allegedly strong they were. It wasn't designed as a nod to Krypton. In fact, the origin for sending babies to new worlds was so that the babies could conquer them when they grew up. The reasons why the two were destroyed is also very significant to the plot. Krypton's was a natural disaster (well, except in some spin-offs), Saiyan was not.

More importantly, all of the *major* Superman influences are missing from DBZ. Goku has no dual identity where he portrays himself as weak and cowardly to avoid suspicion (although the Great Saiyaman does). He's hardly unique on his world; in fact, even humans can access ki and learn how to most of the same things as him -- he's just stronger at it. His powers aren't derived from anything -- let alone the sun or moon. He lacks most of Superman's abilities, instead just being a basic level of super-strong, durable, and able to fly which is pretty standard stuff.

keyblader1985 posted...
There's all kind of influences or references to other series in DBZ. Lots of tech and the Namek/Frieza arc have Star Wars influence, and Androids/Cell had Terminator.

ffs, having time travel and machines doesn't automatically make it a Terminator reference. You're just messing with me now.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
(edited 1 month ago)

Zikten
1 month ago#66
Zeus posted...
Blue Beetle II?

Blue Beetle isn't in the Arrowverse. I'm talking about the universe the CW shows take place in. in that universe, Green Arrow is their equivalent of Batman.

User Info: Action53

Action53
1 month ago#67
https://pics.wikifeet.com/Emily-Bett-Rickards-Feet-2961004.jpg

Not as nice as I expected
Plsbemeantome.sarahah.com

User Info: DrProfessor

DrProfessor
1 month ago#68
She aight. Nothin special
I have a doctorate in professoring.

User Info: ninjabay

ninjabay
1 month ago#69
You can kind of make the paralels between DB and Superman but i don't think they are particular references. I love DB and really hate Supes so i may be biased

Also why do superheores have to have a secret identity? Ironman and Cap are superheroes and everyone knows who they are. Z fighters are heroes and have superpowers, that makes them superheroes IMO
it rained the day i was born but i was the lightning on that storm

User Info: keyblader1985

keyblader1985
1 month ago#70
Zeus posted...
stuff

To begin with, I specifically said his origin story, as in the part that was explained when Raditz came to Earth. It's common knowledge that Dragon Ball was originally based on Journey to the West, and that has no bearing one way or the other on this. But maybe it would have been more accurate to say the Saiyan arc in general was influenced by Superman.

There's not much point in pointing out all the ways the two are different, because if they were exactly the same, it would just be plagiarism. We know Dragon Ball is inspired by JttW, but it's still different in many ways. The point is that there are several similarities.

You are right that I can't find any direct quote confirming it though. But it's a commonly held fan theory. In any case, I think you're blowing this whole thing out of proportion, from as soon as I mentioned anime.
Official King of PotD
You only need one T-Rex to make the point, though. ~ Samus Sedai
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. If I worked on the set of Arrow, I would never get anything done.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.