All Geek's Eve

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#11
I blame Faramir for closing the last topic preemptively =x

At any rate:

The Wave Master posted...
Also, in wrestling news JBL is gone from WWE. Thank goodness because he was an ass.

I know, but that's what made him such an effective heel. It's easier to despise somebody when you know they're an awful person irl too.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
Zeus posted...
Also, in wrestling news JBL is gone from WWE. Thank goodness because he was an ass.

I know, but that's what made him such an effective heel. It's easier to despise somebody when you know they're an awful person irl too.

From what I've been hearing, he wasn't even the person most responsible for driving Mauro away, and basically got made the scapegoat by the company because they already knew he was going to be leaving at that point, so it took some of the heat off the actual culprits who probably aren't going anywhere.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
1 month ago#13
JBL was still a problem for the overall environment, but him quitting versus getting fired really doesn't do anything for the environment and culture of bullying at WWE.

Nevertheless, he was just okay on commentary and I'm not saying Corey Graves is a better choice as a heel commentator, but maybe things will just get a little bit better behind the scenes. Like a half rainbow after a bad thunderstorm.

I miss CM Punk. He was great in the ring and on commentary and he was awesome at cutting promos.
We are who we choose to be.

Zeus
1 month ago#14
Nevertheless, he was just okay on commentary and I'm not saying Corey Graves is a better choice as a heel commentator, but maybe things will just get a little bit better behind the scenes. Like a half rainbow after a bad thunderstorm.

I've gradually soured on Corey Graves, even before they kept trying to insert him into every story ("I found a videotape!")

I miss CM Punk. He was great in the ring and on commentary and he was awesome at cutting promos.

He's probably the only person who could get me watching WWE on a regular basis again. However, Shelton Benjamin coming back rekindled my interest so I might try tracking down new matches and segments involving him.
(\/)(\/)|-|
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
1 month ago#15
The whole Corey Graves "Finding" a video tape of Enzo and Cass was just terrible. So damn terrible that I just asked my wife if she remembered that happening and she went, "Huh... No...!"

The only thing she remembers about Corey Graves isn't his stint in NXT, but the fact that he's never not given money to a tatoo parlor. Look at him, he's a walking back alley tatoo parlor billboard. Or he's helping one particular tatoo artist put his kod's through college.

Either way he's what we got on commentary and he's better than The King verbally sexually harrasing all the female wrestlers every single match.

The commentary choices are slim over at WWE.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: EvilMegas

EvilMegas
1 month ago#16
My one post of the topic. Still don't like the name. See ya!
Official King of Black People
http://i.imgur.com/Zk3VS3o.jpg http://imgur.com/a/UeQiE

Zeus
1 month ago#17
Also forgot to give props to JBL for keeping kayfabe alive by making appearances on Fox News and maintaining the persona (if not the reality) of being a successful businessman.

Terrible wrestler, though. As much as I liked his ability to cut a promo and his heel stables, the guy couldn't work a match for crap and he had one of the worst finishers (I think I only rank Big Show's "Knockout Punch" as a lazier finish although, in terms of just outright bad finishing moves, I've always hated the hokiness of Rey Mysterio's 619 despite admiring the athleticism involved)

The only thing she remembers about Corey Graves isn't his stint in NXT, but the fact that he's never not given money to a tatoo parlor. Look at him, he's a walking back alley tatoo parlor billboard. Or he's helping one particular tatoo artist put his kod's through college.

I kinda regret not getting into NXT early enough to see his wrestling run since I'm somewhat curious about that.

Either way he's what we got on commentary and he's better than The King verbally sexually harrasing all the female wrestlers every single match.

"Puppies!"

Supposedly a lot of that behavior was at Vince's requests although Lawler portrays himself as a massive pervert on social media.

The commentary choices are slim over at WWE.

Eh, the play-by-play guys are usually ok (when they're actually calling play-by-play...). It's just the color commentators that need work.
(\/)(\/)|-|

Zeus
1 month ago#18
TDIL that the legendary dogs are region/continental exclusives in Pokemon Go... and Suicune isn't for my region. Wtf, Niantic...?
(\/)(\/)|-|
and I'm not saying Corey Graves is a better choice as a heel commentator

I'd be willing to say that Corey Graves is a better heel commentator than JBL, though.

Honestly, at this point, he's probably the best active commentator they have main roster, which is why I'm not too bothered by the fact that he's the one they chose to straddle both Raw and Smackdown. Most of the other options would have been way, way worse.

The flip-side of that is, it's sort of acknowledged that certain announcers have Vince in their ear the entire show (and JBL was his go-to guy for a while), so sometimes it's hard to tell if an announcer is being awkward/terrible on their own, because they're just regurgitating things Vince has told them to say, or because they're getting distracted trying to pay attention to the ring, the other announcers, AND Vince and production/Kevin Dunn at the same time. So it's possible that, for all that JBL has kind of sucked lately (and Booker definitely does), it might not be their own fault.

Which implies if Corey is getting moved up to "announcer prime" position, his performance might start suffering in the same way.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

Zeus
1 month ago#20
ParanoidObsessive posted...
(and Booker definitely does)

At least Booker was hilarious on commentary at times, especially when it came to his overreactions about the impact of wrestling moves ("Feels like your whole body is going numb!").
(\/)(\/)|-|
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.