All Geek's Eve

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
4 weeks ago#101
Also, I recently saw the first episode of the Ducktales reboot which was far better than I could have imagined. (Just saying far better than I expected wouldn't mean much, given that my expectations for reboots have been dismally low.)

In general, Disney's animation wing *has* been surprising me. I stumbled onto "I'm the Bad Guy," a song from Wander Over Yonder while deliberating on my favorite Disney song which caused me to to catch a few episodes of the show which -- despite starring Jack McBrayer who I absolutely despised in 30 Rock right down to his voice and having some "moral" themed episodes -- has generally been pretty good. A lot of it might just be the villains, since the episodes without them have felt a lot weaker.

Also, I started to catch up on this season's Rick & Morty (by which I mean I've almost caught up, because the seasons are f***ing short). The one episode I was iffiest on was Pickle Rick but it turned out to probably be my favorite episode of the season thus far... well, toss-up between it and Vindicators 3. The opening scene from Pickle Rick was one of my favorite moments from the show, with the family therapy scene with the "show of hands" exchange adding to the hilarity of it
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
4 weeks ago#102
I also enjoyed that first episode of the reboot and want to see where the series goes from here. It looks like a show I actually would have enjoyed as a kid rather than something to watch because it was on and held my attention for more than five minutes at the time. <_<
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
4 weeks ago#103
How do we get people to pay $120 for a mediocre RPG?

Split it into 3 parts, 20 hours each! Give them one new ability each time they'll use twice in each "game".

BRILLIANT!

--.hack in a nutshell.
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
4 weeks ago#104
WhiskeyDisk posted...
How do we get people to pay $120 for a mediocre RPG?

Split it into 3 parts, 20 hours each! Give them one new ability each time they'll use twice in each "game".

BRILLIANT!

--.hack in a nutshell.

https://i.imgur.com/eBE21mm.jpg
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
4 weeks ago#105
This happened while I was asleep.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8ndhidEmUbI

It looks serviceable. I don't have high expectations. Feels like something I would watch on Netflix one bored Sunday afternoon.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
4 weeks ago#106
Alicia Vikander gives it credibility. I find it cheeky an almost flat chested gal got cast in the role, though.
PotD's resident Film Expert. Steelers: 1-0. Next up: Vikings.

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
4 weeks ago#107
I've been in Pharos (in XII) for a little over half an hour, and I already want to set the place on fire, as well knock it off the top of the waterfall from which it sits. This place, and the story dungeon before it, epitomize so much of what's wrong with XII. Just... ugh!
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg
Raganork posted...
Now if only we can get a Shadow Hearts compilation so I can finally play those games without dropping over a hundred bucks.

The first one is a fun game, and the second is great, but the third one is kind of meh. It's not a series I'd say has necessarily aged all that well, though.

Entity13 posted...
If they include and updated version of Koudelka and leave out that one game that came after Covenant, I'd be down for that.

Ehh, Koudelka wasn't terrible in its own time, but it felt dated even during the PS2 era. I can't imagine it being all that worthwhile now, especially for someone who has played better RPGs in the meantime, and doesn't have the nostalgia factor to excuse the flaws.

And honestly, it's barely tied into the series at all, other than Roger Bacon and the Emigre Document being in both, and Koudelka herself sort of being referenced (in an incredibly s***ty way, because it's an extremely depressing franchise overall) in Shadow Hearts.

Though also to be fair, there's an argument to be made for both Koudelka AND From the New World being barely connected and unnecessary bookends to the actual meat of the series, with Shadow Hearts and Covenant being the only really strong entries in the franchise.

Raganork posted...
I tried my best to learn Tetra Master on three separate playthroughs of the game, and I still can't remember how it's played. The simplicity of Triple Triad is its greatest strength.

To be fair, I can't remember how either game is played at this point.

But at the time, I absolutely remember Tetra Master being easier to play than Triple Triad, at least for me. I didn't find the rules all that complicated at all, and once you get into the rhythm of playing, it's not all that hard to win fairly regularly. It's one of the few reasons I actually stuck with it in spite of my absolute hatred for its predecessor shortly before.

I'd probably argue that Blitzball was much the same - I can see how someone might take one look at it and decide that it's way to complicated, but once you know a couple of tricks, it becomes pathetically easy (which is good, because you're going to need to play a LOT of it if you want to level up certain ultimate weapons).

Raganork posted...
Yeah, rule spreading sucks, but it's completely manageable and even preventable.

Manageable, yes, to some degree. Preventable? Not really. Especially not once you start really getting into the game, and trying to get specific cards that are only available in specific regions, at least not without a fair amount of save scumming and wasted time.

Again, I don't remember most of the specifics as much as I remember my own outrage ABOUT the specifics, but I do remember it being a huge pain in the ass at the time. Especially when the Queen of Cards was involved. If there was an easy way to bypass or screw the game over, I'm assuming I absolutely would have found a way to do it (especially since I was already active on the Internet at that point and reading FAQs and the like).

Zeus posted...
Rule spreading generally wasn't a huge issue *except* for one or two of the rules (random was s***, everything else was less annoying).

Random is the rule that more or less made me stop playing entirely, and is probably about 80% of where my visceral hate comes from.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
Zeus posted...
And I liked how it could be used to acquire certain items.

My memory of it was that you had to play a fair amount to get specific cards to upgrade specific things that couldn't be upgraded in other ways, and that you had to destroy your own cards in the process, which annoys the piss out of me.

I also seem to remember there were a number of unique cards that you could basically only get once, which you then had to effectively give up in order to acquire OTHER unique cards that you could basically only get once, which is like a massive middle finger pointed directly at the completionist part of my personality, which is the only part of me that would ever want to play the game in the first place.

Zeus posted...
While you have to play it a few times to get through the campaign, it's honestly not that bad compared to *other* minigame obstacles, such as the f***ing Goron dance which kept me from finishing Oracle of Ages.

"This thing that is s*** is slightly less s***ty than this other thing which is also s***" is never a valid defense, though. The optimal scenario is to not have s***ty things in the first place.

It's part of why my philosophy about optional minigames is that they should ALWAYS be completely optimal, and that it's straight up bad game design to make them mandatory in any way (even if only for a single mission, main OR sidequest), even in cases where "mandatory" translates to "only mandatory if you want the best weapon" (FFX was the king of this, where every character's ultimate weapon required you to play DIFFERENT minigames, most of which were kind of s***). Your sole reward for playing a minigame should be playing the minigame. Full stop.

Which, in a way, probably makes the secret sliding tile puzzle in the original Final Fantasy my idea of the perfect minigame.

(Then again, I'm a HUGE proponent that game design should always be additive/positive rather than subtractive/negative, where rewards absolutely shouldn't be presented in ways that they could be seen as punishments to players who refuse to participate, so minigames are hardly the only way in which developers have pissed me off in that fashion over the years. Basically, side activities shouldn't force players into behavior they would otherwise avoid solely to gain advantage in the main game, they should stand alone and be a value in and of themselves.)

Raganork posted...
At least FFVIII has rules to trip you up, and the threat of losing your cards is always there. Gwent is a static experience all the way through, with no such threat.

That's one of the things that makes me hate a game, though, not something I would ever see as a plus under any circumstances.

The problem is that most of those sorts of mechanics mostly stem from the bulls*** ante rules for Magic: the Gathering, but there's also a reason why almost no one ever plays ante rules.

It also doesn't help that it's essentially a "The rich get richer, the poor get poorer" sort of mechanic - the worse you do, the worse your deck becomes, and thus, you do even worse. It's not really good game design, or a recipe for enjoyable play.

Granted, it's the perfect mechanic for a developer to introduce if they're selling the card game (Magic does it because it encourages you to BUY MORE CARDS), or if you're a video game developer trying to push microtransactions, but there are far better ways to add replayability to a game.

Zeus posted...
To be fair, otaku/weeabos are often whiny b**** boys so it could be considered an insert =p

Yeah, but that's part of what I was referencing when I mentioned it being a cultural thing. The Japanese have a thing for young protagonists, so Squall being an emo-teen appeals more to them than it would to a Western audience. The Japanese also tend to have a strong preference for pathetically dithering males who are absolutely incapable of making forceful decisions or being active protagonists, which is why it shows up as an archetype in so much manga and anime.

In a similar vein, the concept of hikikomori is a more accepted (or at least more familiar) thing in Japan, which makes it easier for them to accept those sorts of characters in a story, whereas it comes across less sympathetic to Western audiences who have been culturally socialized over generations to idealize a more proactive, dynamic, active protagonist who kicks ass, takes names, and rarely looks back to question their own choices.

Which is not to say that I want every video game character ever to be Duke Nukem, but when you spend most of a game screaming at your TV because the character whose role you're being forced into is constantly making the most frustrating or stupid decisions imaginable, after a certain point you find yourself questioning why you're playing that game at all.

Especially in a world where far more flexible games exist.

1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.