All Geek's Eve

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
4 weeks ago#121
I'm not sure we have ever talked the movie Unbreakable.

I know M. Night Shyamalan gets a bad rap for his "Twist" but I do love Unbreakable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGu1sOvxYs

He's finally making a true sequel to Unbreakable, and I'm pretty excited. Even though he should have called the movie "Breakable" then "Broke" but I'm not in charge of marketing yet... Not Yet....

How dobyou all feel about the greatness that is Unbreakable?
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: knivesX2004

knivesX2004
4 weeks ago#122
The Wave Master posted...

I have a love hate relationship with that movie.
I LOVE the movie but I hate that I cried when the young black boy gets knocked around on the amusement park ride.

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
4 weeks ago#123
I never finished it. Fell asleep trying to watch it a few years back. Just because I was mega tired at the time lol
PotD's resident Film Expert. Steelers: 1-0. Next up: Vikings.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
4 weeks ago#124
I'm not sure we have ever talked the movie Unbreakable.

I know M. Night Shyamalan gets a bad rap for his "Twist" but I do love Unbreakable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4LGu1sOvxYs

He's finally making a true sequel to Unbreakable, and I'm pretty excited. Even though he should have called the movie "Breakable" then "Broke" but I'm not in charge of marketing yet... Not Yet....

The problem with Unbreakable wasn't the twist, but how badly the twist was handled and how rushed the conclusion felt. Plus the movie is generally dull.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
4 weeks ago#125
We had a huge big discussion on piracy and the effects on an industry and the individual in the last topic. Nevertheless, the debate still rages on because of articles like this...

http://gizmo.do/sFsCLNa

I suppose that the suppressing of the information is the real problem here, and not necessarily the fact that a study was done on piracy that says that it effects no one.

Since we don't know how much money would have been lost if piracy wasn't committed at all we don't really know the larger impact. The simple truth is that stealing is wrong, and if it was your intellectual property you wouldn't want people to steal it and you get less or none of the profits.

I understand that people don't consider it stealing because it's not tangible, but it is and I wish it would stop, or at least admit that it's wrong and you're doing it to get something for nothing.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
4 weeks ago#126
Wave, we're going to have to disagree on this one because at the end of the day, I believe theft requires one to deprive another of the ownership of the thing in question.

If I could download a car, I would.
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
4 weeks ago#127
We had a huge big discussion on piracy and the effects on an industry and the individual in the last topic. Nevertheless, the debate still rages on because of articles like this...

http://gizmo.do/sFsCLNa

I suppose that the suppressing of the information is the real problem here, and not necessarily the fact that a study was done on piracy that says that it effects no one.

Since we don't know how much money would have been lost if piracy wasn't committed at all we don't really know the larger impact. The simple truth is that stealing is wrong, and if it was your intellectual property you wouldn't want people to steal it and you get less or none of the profits.

I understand that people don't consider it stealing because it's not tangible, but it is and I wish it would stop, or at least admit that it's wrong and you're doing it to get something for nothing.

The debate was never over "is it wrong to pirate?" -- because everybody agreed that it was -- but instead breaking down bad stereotypes when it comes to piracy which equated it to physical theft (ie, physical deprivation of property).

And the report generally supports what I've said all along: Piracy's impact on profit loss is vastly overstated and relies on bad assumptions which don't stand up to the scrutiny of a study. For the most part, piracy is done by people who were never going to pay money for the product in the first place and therefore the theft doesn't necessarily pose a real harm.

(By contrast, bootleggers generally *do* represent a larger harm since they siphon off people willing to pay money, although you could argue that not everybody would be willing to pay full price so it doesn't necessarily relate in one lost sale all of the time. Case-in-point is the fact that I've bought bootlegs of things I may not have otherwise bought, such as variations of Funko's Hikari Skeletor where *maybe* I might have bought a used Mystic Powers version if I found it used, clearanced, or cheap, but I certainly wouldn't have bought any of the colorways.)

(And, submitted for your geekly reference, I present to you the Mystic Powers Hikari Skeletor colorway.)

https://i.imgur.com/0JDzYOZ.jpg

(iirc, I think the MSRP was like $60-80 but I paid $25 shipped for a possibly bootleg one from Amazon.)
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
(edited 4 weeks ago)

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
4 weeks ago#128
Until the day comes when researchers can prove that people would purchase products if the illegal download option wasn't available, it'll be impossible to chart potential lost sales caused by illegal downloads. Someone may download something they'd otherwise never buy, and suddenly become interested in the series and start buying new releases. You can't tell s*** from raw download numbers alone.

I say there's not a chance in hell the average Joe Shmo will ever be able to legally play something like Panzer Dragoon Saga, and since Sega has no plans on rereleasing it, well... it's situations like this that make the shady scene appealing. There are plenty of great games out there, and why should the only legal way of playing them be by paying collectors hundreds of dollars, when the devs won't see a single dime of that sale? Not every developer is like Squeenix, who's willing to release the same s*** a dozen times until every fan owns several copies because nostalgia is an a******.
WhiskeyDisk posted...
because at the end of the day, I believe theft requires one to deprive another of the ownership of the thing in question.

Most legal systems that exist in the world acknowledge that it is, in theory, entirely possible to steal ideas.

Even aside from piracy (which is essentially unauthorized distribution of someone else's product), things like copyright, trademark, and patents come into play where we tacitly accept that people have at least some right to profit from their own work, even if the end product itself is not a unique material object.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
Also, on an entirely unrelated note, I am posting this:

http://www.cbr.com/hilarious-x-men-memes

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.