All Geek's Eve

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
2 months ago#141
Zeus posted...
And how exactly are they more sleazy or degenerate than other companies?

Compared to some? Let's see...

- A policy to sell bad/poor copies in their stock well before the good ones, as well as the habit to open a new copy of a game, sometimes playing it a bit, and then continuing to sell it as new.
- The level of practical indoctrination on employees to make them try to sell, sell, sell, without any regard to the costumer's wishes. I've worked for a call center, so I know how much scripting can be pushed by some companies, but Gamestop literally takes that to the nth degree. As a result, there's no care for the customer, only for prying money out of their hands, dignity be damned. Pre-orders? Club Cards? The employees are trained to beat you over the head with these things and other offers. Oh, you're there to pick up a copy of a SMT game? You must be there to pre-order the next Cooking Mama no one's heard about or cared for, no really you must really want it, think again because you do want it... or because you want to hear about and attend the launch party of the next Madden game in less than a week. Nope, Shin Megumi Tensei can't possibly be the real reason you're there.
- The propensity from the company, reflected by the often idiotic clerks, to say over the phone that something is in stock, then you get there to discover that, at best, there's one used copy in bad shape when you asked about a new game, likely they'll actually only have a game ~remotely~ related to what you asked for, and even more likely they actually don't have it but since you made the trip haveyouheardaboutthelatestpreorders?
- Pricing is bad, mmkay?

Those are a few things I can recall off the top of my head, and generally enough that I'd rather do business with Amazon for all of their own faults.

Speaking of Amazon, here's a hilarious (at least to me) scenario that just happened. I finally ordered myself a copy of Nier: Automata, as mentioned before. At first, it was out of stock and due to be ready to fill on the 26th. The next day, I got a message in the email saying they were getting the stock earlier and would ship it out on time for me to get the game by the 27th (so a day earlier, give or take). That was about the time I made my post on this topic about it. Then yesterday I checked the order for s***s and giggles, and also because I figure the order would be preparing to ship either today or Monday; that was when I discovered that it already shipped out and should be here today, in the mail for a Sunday delivery.

Part of me wonders if I lit a big enough fire under the company's collective ass over other orders in the past, but I've no way of proving one way or the other. I do, however, feel this to be a vast improvement over a lot of orders I had filled with Amazon, doubly so since they went with something that isn't OnTrac.

Gods, I loathe OnTrac as a delivery service.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
2 months ago#142
Star Trek: Discovery airs it's only free episode tonight. A very strict embargo from CBS and Paramount are keeping the early reviews under wraps. That's never a good sign. We will follow up with this later.

Fighting games aren't roo big in these geek parts, but is anyone interested in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite?

Capcom claims that they made an easier game for new comers, but after watching a few hours on stream over the last few days it doesn't look any more simplistic than the other versus games in the series.

Haven't actually played the game myself I can only form an opinion from what I have seen and heard so far.

Have any of you played the game and have an opinion?
We are who we choose to be.
The Wave Master posted...
Star Trek: Discovery airs it's only free episode tonight. A very strict embargo from CBS and Paramount are keeping the early reviews under wraps. That's never a good sign.

I wasn't all that interested in the first place (I've always been far more of a Star Wars guy than a Star Trek guy), but everything I've heard about this series implies it's probably going to be a stinker.

And speaking of terrible TV shows, I don't think anyone mentioned it here yet (probably because none of us care), but it's apparently pretty much confirmed that the Inhumans TV show has basically been pre-cancelled by ABC before the first episode even aired.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
2 months ago#144
Pokemon Go's Equinox is going on now and the game is trolling me hard. For starters (and worst of all), the ONLY spawn point immediately near my home isn't working properly; I'll see something pop up on the "nearby" section of my app (often rarer things, but also common ones) only to go out to the usual place and find nothing. Walked all over, can't seem to find where a new spot may be.

Entity13 posted...
- A policy to sell bad/poor copies in their stock well before the good ones,

Sounds like every company ever.

Entity13 posted...
as well as the habit to open a new copy of a game, sometimes playing it a bit, and then continuing to sell it as new.

tbh, that's always bothered me as well, *especially* because the display copies are handled -- getting them dirty -- and then a sticker is applied. Granted, I've just refused to buy open/new versions.

Entity13 posted...
- The level of practical indoctrination on employees to make them try to sell, sell, sell, without any regard to the costumer's wishes. I've worked for a call center, so I know how much scripting can be pushed by some companies, but Gamestop literally takes that to the nth degree. As a result, there's no care for the customer, only for prying money out of their hands, dignity be damned. Pre-orders? Club Cards?

Never had an employee go that hard on me or anybody I've seen. They'll just ask about pre-orders in a roundabout way, even when I'm not buying a game.

Entity13 posted...
- The propensity from the company, reflected by the often idiotic clerks, to say over the phone that something is in stock, then you get there to discover that, at best, there's one used copy in bad shape when you asked about a new game, likely they'll actually only have a game ~remotely~ related to what you asked for, and even more likely they actually don't have it but since you made the trip haveyouheardaboutthelatestpreorders?

A lot of retailers have poor management systems and lazy clerks. I've had more issues with that at other places.

Entity13 posted...
Those are a few things I can recall off the top of my head, and generally enough that I'd rather do business with Amazon for all of their own faults.

And Amazon's faults are many. There are a lot of products I can't buy off it due to shoddy quality control measures. I've been shipped things from Amazon (usually the official, sometimes a reseller for whom Amazon handles fulfillment) with missing visibly missing parts, pretty clear paint defects, etc, which their stock clerks *should* have noticed before shipping and it's forced me to jump through hoops after the fact.

Plus Amazon is the king of arbitrage. They allow scalpers to buy in bulk then turn around and list it on their platform.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

Zeus
2 months ago#145
Star Trek: Discovery airs it's only free episode tonight. A very strict embargo from CBS and Paramount are keeping the early reviews under wraps. That's never a good sign. We will follow up with this later.

Oh, from the way Ducky was talking, I thought everybody had seen it already.

Fighting games aren't roo big in these geek parts, but is anyone interested in Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite?

I still don't have 3, but the roster in MvI basically precludes any interest.

ParanoidObsessive posted...
And speaking of terrible TV shows, I don't think anyone mentioned it here yet (probably because none of us care), but it's apparently pretty much confirmed that the Inhumans TV show has basically been pre-cancelled by ABC before the first episode even aired.

Ha! Well, as long as we get Runaways...
(\/)(\/)|-|

The Wave Master
2 months ago#146
Inhumans was and is a damn train wreck ayway. Having it pre-cancelled is not a surprise or a bad thing at all.

I am also not going to pay five dollars a month to watch a mediocre Star Trek show.

Also, I refer Star wars to Star Trek as well.

Zeus
2 months ago#147
Also, I refer Star wars to Star Trek as well.

Eh?
(\/)(\/)|-|

The Wave Master
2 months ago#148
Prefer.

I still hate my pho ne. I had to cook dinner so I haven't watched Star Trek Discovery yet.

But yes, I Prefer Star Wars to Star Trek.

Zeus
2 months ago#149
That makes a lot more sense than referring to one as the other =p
(\/)(\/)|-|

The Wave Master
2 months ago#150
We were all right about ole Brock Lesnar keeping the belt. Braun Strowman should be the champ, but WWE has decided to run this whole Lesnar "World Beater" angle into the ground.

I'm just not a Lesnar fan. He's a big muscle bound jock that can't really wrestle any longer or cut a promo. He's a glorified MMA fighter that is coasting on his name.

My test of a good wrestler is if you can name at least 3 matches that the performer had that were just great or you can remember off the top of your head. And yes, I put Roman Reigns on that list too. His Royal Rumble performance 5 years ago is the only match I watched of his that I truly enjoyed.

I guess we have to talk about Cena now. He's off to shoot that terrible Bumblebee prequel movie so of course he was going to lose to Roman last night. Still the elephant in the room is that damn bald spot he has going on. Who told him that was a good look?

Come to the bald side Cena. I have been. There for 5 years now. It's great! You spend like 10 seconds in the shower washing your hair. Your comb bidget is zero. All hats fit. Well, most fit unless you have a Professor X dome. Just join the club brother.

Oh.. yeah the match was ass. The bald spot was more entertaining.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.