All Geek's Eve

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
2 months ago#151
The Wave Master posted...
We were all right about ole Brock Lesnar keeping the belt. Braun Strowman should be the champ, but WWE has decided to run this whole Lesnar "World Beater" angle into the ground.

Meh.

I'm just not a Lesnar fan. He's a big muscle bound jock that can't really wrestle any longer or cut a promo. He's a glorified MMA fighter that is coasting on his name.

My test of a good wrestler is if you can name at least 3 matches that the performer had that were just great or you can remember off the top of your head. And yes, I put Roman Reigns on that list too. His Royal Rumble performance 5 years ago is the only match I watched of his that I truly enjoyed.

He has a limited moveset, very little interest in the business, zero prom skills, etc, but he has a great physique, looks great doing his few moves, and has a naturally douchey face that reminds me of Joffrey. I'd probably be okay with him if he actually appeared more often but, as it is, he's one of the reasons I stopped watching again years ago since he just holds the belt while doing nothing with it half the time.

I guess we have to talk about Cena now. He's off to shoot that terrible Bumblebee prequel movie so of course he was going to lose to Roman last night. Still the elephant in the room is that damn bald spot he has going on. Who told him that was a good look?

It's less about the movie than it is about Roman being built up as Cena 2.0. If it'd been a best of 3, Roman would have won all 3.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
2 months ago#152
Hey, Kanagaroo, the Ivalice raids begin in 4.1, which should be next week. *wink*
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
2 months ago#153
We finally watched Star Trek Discovery, and it is very expensive. (To quote Mr. Dink from Doug.) Thats not a bad thing at all, but it brings up or distracts from a huge problem.

Lack of character development.

Aside from Michelle Yeoh's character and Sonequa Green-Martin's character no one else had any character development at all. I know it's the first episode, but what makes Star Trek so great is the variety of the supporting cast. There is no Worf, Jorde, or Data in this group, and the show suffers from that. It looks gorgeous, it's well acted, and the plot is serviceable, but the characters are lacking, and because of that I'm not paying 6 dollars a month to continue to watch.

The Orville on the other hand isn't as bad as the promos look. I'm shocked to be typing that too. The third episode in particular was deep and nuanced, even though it has those Seth MacFarlane tropes.
We are who we choose to be.
Zeus posted...
It's less about the movie than it is about Roman being built up as Cena 2.0. If it'd been a best of 3, Roman would have won all 3.

I was listening to Meltzer talk about how it should have been a best of 3 series, and how having the blow off to the feud after the first match felt wrong, and I was like "Wait, does he not know that Cena is leaving for months to film, so the WWE had absolutely no option to plan anything different in terms of timing?"

Because the way he was talking he sounded like he had no idea, while from my perspective it seems like literally every fan who is even slightly in the loop was aware that Cena was leaving after the entire time, because the studio being unwilling to have him continue wrestling while filming was a pretty public story.

I don't think I'd ever think "Well, the WWE should have done this" when I already knew that external factors made it pretty much impossible for the WWE to do anything other than what they actually did.

I mean, about the only real difference they could have done was to book Cena to beat Roman, but that wasn't even remotely going to happen in any conceivable universe, unless Roman got caught murdering people or diddling kids the day before the PPV. And even then, there's still a good chance the WWE would have pushed him anyway.

In a similar sense, there was zero chance the Braun/Brock match was going to end in any other way, because no matter how stupid it may be, the WWE is locked into building Brock right up until they feed him to Roman, so neither of them are likely to lose a major feud between now and WrestleMania (and the scuttlebutt is that Roman's next feud is going to involve beating Miz for the US Title so Roman can become a grand slam champ in advance of winning the Universal title from Brock, while they're probably going to feed Balor to Brock for his next feud once he comes back again).

About the only real decision made during the PPV that I felt was still up in the air (and where the WWE made the absolutely worst possible choice for the finish) was the Cruiserweight title, but that's mostly because I f***ing loathe Enzo.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
2 months ago#155
Entity13 posted...
Hey, Kanagaroo, the Ivalice raids begin in 4.1, which should be next week. *wink*

Matsuno's talent is being put to waste.

To be honest, I'd like to play it, but is it worth redownloading the game, buying Stormblood, paying for a one month sub, then playing through the entire campaign just to be able to play this one raid? Hell no. I'll just replay Tactics Ogre and get my Matsuno fix. Or I could watch a video of the raid on youtube.

Zeus
2 months ago#156
ParanoidObsessive posted...
I was listening to Meltzer talk about how it should have been a best of 3 series, and how having the blow off to the feud after the first match felt wrong, and I was like "Wait, does he not know that Cena is leaving for months to film, so the WWE had absolutely no option to plan anything different in terms of timing?"

Because the way he was talking he sounded like he had no idea, while from my perspective it seems like literally every fan who is even slightly in the loop was aware that Cena was leaving after the entire time, because the studio being unwilling to have him continue wrestling while filming was a pretty public story.

I don't think I'd ever think "Well, the WWE should have done this" when I already knew that external factors made it pretty much impossible for the WWE to do anything other than what they actually did.

Here's the thing, though -- and probably what Meltzer was getting at -- WWE *knew* beforehand how long they'd have Cena. There was no specific reason to just start a random feud now. They COULD have had a best of 3 had they scheduled things for a different time.

It's not a matter of external factors making it impossible, but internal stupidity giving us weird booking. However, given that everybody is just going to be fed to Roman anyway, it doesn't much matter.

About the only real decision made during the PPV that I felt was still up in the air (and where the WWE made the absolutely worst possible choice for the finish) was the Cruiserweight title, but that's mostly because I f***ing loathe Enzo.

I love Enzo the entertainer, but the guy has *never* had even passable in-ring and it's stupid to book him in a division that's pushing high-flying, nonsensical high-precision in-ring work.

Granted, Enzo has always been popular for his mic work and personality so... idk, maybe it can help the division somehow?
(\/)(\/)|-|
Zeus posted...
Here's the thing, though -- and probably what Meltzer was getting at -- WWE *knew* beforehand how long they'd have Cena. There was no specific reason to just start a random feud now. They COULD have had a best of 3 had they scheduled things for a different time.

I'll grant that, though I think the problem there is that they're desperate to pop ratings and Cena seems to be the only one capable of actually doing that (which is why he's a "free agent" now, so they can use him on either show when they need to).

(It's the similar reason why Vince showed up on SmackDown - because there's a perception (which is mostly accurate, honestly) that McMahons pop ratings. And they are absolutely DESPERATE to boost ratings, because ticket sales are abysmal and renegotiation time for the TV deal is coming up again soon.)

And that was one of the problems with the lead-up to the Cena/Roman feud. Every time they had a back-and-forth, nearly everything Cena said was absolutely true, while almost everything Roman said was wrong. Ratings ARE down. PPV/Network buys are down. Live show attendance is down. Merch is down. The WWE does need Cena to keep coming back, even if only part-time (because he always pops ratings), while Roman is in no way capable of carrying the show on his own without better draws to help him.

As for why they pushed the Cena/Roman feud a bit prematurely, it seems like the common assumption in WWE creative is that Cena isn't going to be an active wrestler all that much longer (see also, the trajectory of The Rock), since he IS actually succeeding in Hollywood to some degree. So they have to get as many "Old guy jobs to put the new guy over" matches out of the way as they can before he leaves for good. And since they're not sure how many more feuds they can get out of him (or even potentially how long they're going to have him for even after he comes back from the Bumblebee movie), they felt it was better to get the Roman feud out of the way now rather than put it off (and potentially lose it entirely, or have to put it off until after Roman/Brock).

WWE logic actually makes perfect sense, IF you look at the world they way they see it (ie, that Roman is absolutely going to be "the guy", and that the audience will eventually accept him if they just keep pushing him hard enough and give him enough "moments". It also makes it easy to predict every booking decision they make (for instance, I ABSOLUTELY KNEW going in the Cena match was going to end with the "put the guy over handshake of respect" spot - and I also knew it was going to fail spectacularly because I understand the audience better than WWE does).

I'm not saying they're RIGHT (they absolutely aren't), but I do understand how they see the world, and it explains so many of their terrible decisions (like putting Jinder over to pander to India, even if that absolutely failed as well).

Zeus posted...
I love Enzo the entertainer, but the guy has *never* had even passable in-ring and it's stupid to book him in a division that's pushing high-flying, nonsensical high-precision in-ring work.

That's the real problem I have with him, honestly - Enzo "the entertainer" is the ONLY part of him that's over at all, and I absolutely loathe Enzo "the entertainer". I find very little of what he says entertaining in any way, nor does it help that it usually seems to take him 5 minutes to say what anyone else could get across in about 30 seconds. Almost all of his crowd appeal comes from the "sing along" part of his act, and even that is waning (fans aren't as hot on him as they used to be). I find him awkward at best and stupid and annoying at worst.

I deliberately get up and leave the room when he's talking at this point, because his monologues are pretty much nails-on-chalkboard for me, and even in "dueling" promos he still tends to come across like an idiot.

I could probably overlook the fact that he's a repugnant little s*** if he was at least a strong ring worker (though workrate has never gotten over with me as much as it does a lot of the smarks), but in the ring his only real strength is ridiculously overselling when he's getting a beatdown, which really isn't a recipe for being an over face wrestler.

I get that he's still strongly over with at least some of the audience (though again, that's waning, especially since the WWE keeps punishing him for being a dick backstage, and constantly getting s*** on tends to be a heat killer). But I hate him so, so much.

Zeus posted...
Granted, Enzo has always been popular for his mic work and personality so... idk, maybe it can help the division somehow?

That's the general presumption behind the booking, in most people's eyes - the division isn't over, so put the belt on someone who IS over, and it will help the division get over.

The problem is, the division isn't over because of how they book it, and how they treat it like a completely unimportant afterthought in the context of the main product (because Vince doesn't give a s*** about it), and that has absolutely nothing to do with who's wearing the title. Worse, because Enzo basically went from being an absolute 110% jobber in the main show to becoming the champ in 205 Live almost instantly, it just makes the entire Cruiserweight product come across as being even more meaningless and subpar than it already was.

Rather than elevate the division, putting Enzo on top just sort of buries it even more.

Again, it's a case of being able to UNDERSTAND why the WWE makes the decisions it does, but also being able to see just how wrong those decisions are because I apparently understand the audience way more than the WWE itself does anymore (which might be because things are still being run by a delusional old man who refuses to let fresher minds steer the ship).

Zeus
2 months ago#159
because there's a perception (which is mostly accurate, honestly) that McMahons pop ratings.

Not sure Steph does any more =p

The WWE does need Cena to keep coming back, even if only part-time (because he always pops ratings), while Roman is in no way capable of carrying the show on his own without better draws to help him.

Well, they more need to develop actual talent who can sell tickets instead of sinking more time, money, and resources into a failed investment, but that's not going to happen.

WWE logic actually makes perfect sense, IF you look at the world they way they see it (ie, that Roman is absolutely going to be "the guy", and that the audience will eventually accept him if they just keep pushing him hard enough and give him enough "moments". It also makes it easy to predict every booking decision they make (for instance, I ABSOLUTELY KNEW going in the Cena match was going to end with the "put the guy over handshake of respect" spot - and I also knew it was going to fail spectacularly because I understand the audience better than WWE does).

Understanding an insane logic doesn't mean it makes sense, it just means going a little crazy yourself =p However, in general, face-feuds *have* to end with a sign of respect. It's part of the gimmick

I deliberately get up and leave the room when he's talking at this point, because his monologues are pretty much nails-on-chalkboard for me, and even in "dueling" promos he still tends to come across like an idiot.

Well, part of his gimmick is that he's an idiot... He's one of the few guys who can credibly sell whatever the writers put down on paper because their stupid and goofy won't hurt a deliberately stupid and goofy character.

Worse, because Enzo basically went from being an absolute 110% jobber in the main show to becoming the champ in 205 Live almost instantly, it just makes the entire Cruiserweight product come across as being even more meaningless and subpar than it already was.

I know, it makes me giggle. Plus supposedly his match against the Miz was among the worst in recent memory. I'm half-tempted to track that one down just to see if it's really as awful as commentators have claimed.
(\/)(\/)|-|
Zeus posted...
because there's a perception (which is mostly accurate, honestly) that McMahons pop ratings.

Not sure Steph does any more =p

To be fair, that's a two-fold problem.

First, the effectiveness is muted by appearing on TV constantly. Vince got his recent pop (and upsurge of ratings) because he hasn't been on TV for a while. And Shane popped the crowd when he came back because he'd been gone for years at that point. But Steph was on TV every single week for an extended period of time, so people started getting sick of her.

And second, the real problem with Steph is that about 90% of the storylines she's involved in are basically her s***ting on or putting herself over the wrestlers with absolutely no payback or comeuppance whatsoever, ever. Pretty much every time you see her she's being a grade-A turbo c***, yet almost no one ever really wins against her or s***s on her effectively in promos, and she never gets the piss smacked out of her or gets thrown through a table or anything (and the one time she DID take a bump recently, it only happened "by accident", and when her husband was involved, so it had zero impact).

She doesn't actually seem to understand that even when he was at the height of his douchebaggery Vince was still getting Stone Cold Stunnered every other week, or having the s*** kicked out of him with him blading after getting thrown off a cell or whatever (and Shane tends to benefit from similar suicidal tendencies). She's the only McMahon who gets presented as the untouchable golden girl who can't really be defeated. And since she's in charge of creative and her husband is the main wrestling guy, the fans are fully aware that she's responsible for her own Mary Sue presentation, and react more negatively because of it (ie, she might take less flack for it if it was at least someone else writing the script for her, and she had little say in how she was being presented).

But even Steph will likely pop a reaction when she inevitably comes back after being gone for a while. It's the end result of the WWE basically spending the last 20 years booking storylines that repeatedly tell us the McMahons are more important than any individual wrestler.

Zeus posted...
Well, they more need to develop actual talent who can sell tickets instead of sinking more time, money, and resources into a failed investment, but that's not going to happen.

I agree, but you can't really spin stars out of nothing in the short-term, so they still have to rely on established stars to carry the product until they can put new talent over enough to be strong draws, even if they started doing everything right tomorrow.

But because they've done such a s*** job of MAKING new stars, they're running out of people to turn to as the older guys leave. With Undertaker being mostly retired, Angle apparently unable to wrestle, and guys like Jericho and Cena becoming more of occasional part-time acts, they're basically being forced to rely on guys who haven't actually managed to become significant draws (even the Internet darlings, let alone people like Roman).

1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.