All Geek's Eve

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
1 month ago#281
EA just put a bullet in Visceral Games. Then EA took a big ole dump and a leak on the still smoldering remains.

I wish I could say I was shocked and disappointed, but I'm not in either regard. EA has crushed and destroyed so many small wonderful studios that it's just part of their morning routine.

(Wake up, brush teeth, shower, get dressed, eat breakfast, destroy hopes and dreams, take morning constitutional, flush hopes and dreams down the toilet.)

Unless you're making a Star Wars Battlefront multiplayer game with loot boxes and micro transactions to rob stupid players blind, then the hope of a solid single player story based Star Wars game is probably never going to happen again. There will probably never be a KOTOR 3, or any Star Wars RPG. Those things make me a sad panda.

I just don't want all games to be PUBG. There is nothing wrong with that game, except the obvious, but if thats what you like then that's fine. However, variety is the spice of life, and I firmly believe that not every game needs garbage DLC, Loot Boxes, Micro transactions, stickers, emblems, pixie dust, and other worthless **** that adds no inherent value to the game.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but these current trends can go kick rocks.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
1 month ago#282
Did you see the Gamespot article discussing the company's losses on Dead Space 2? I found the scope kinda surprising although I've always considered things like the graphics race a race to the bottom, given it helps to balloon budgets making it harder to return a profit.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
1 month ago#283
We're at a point where doubling the polygon count or framerate does nothing to fool the eye. From a technical standpoint, sound can't really get much better either.

What that leaves us with is pushing half finished games out the door so we can be charged twice over retail just to get a complete game. There's a reason I haven't bought a console since the PS2 and my last handheld was a 3ds.

I just can't bring myself to encourage the state of modern gaming as a whole.

I'm more excited by developments with PS2 emulation than I am with any microtransaction riddled bulls*** the industry pushes at this point. At least 10 years ago when I paid $60 for a title, I got an entire game, not the privilege of being a beta tester for a half baked turd I'd have to pay another $60 for down the line just to get the whole experience.

I refuse to be forced into buying a new console every 6 years at this point just to justify a new means of being screwed by the gaming industry with zero tangible benefit. There are still plenty of gems from previous generations for me to explore that I'm not essentially renting for full retail x2+.

Day one dlc and on-disc dlc was where I had to draw the line. f*** that s***.
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

Zeus
1 month ago#284
WhiskeyDisk posted...
There's a reason I haven't bought a console since the PS2 and my last handheld was a 3ds.

I still intend to someday get a N3DS if they ever offer a standard model cheaply again. I don't want an XL.

However, I somewhat suspect that the ps3 and 360 might be my last home consoles from those companies. The ps4 has a few games I'm interested in, but it just doesn't seem worth the investment since the consoles themselves seem to get more expensive and I seem to use them less.
(\/)(\/)|-|
(edited 1 month ago)

WhiskeyDisk
1 month ago#285
Zeus posted...
WhiskeyDisk posted...
There's a reason I haven't bought a console since the PS2 and my last handheld was a 3ds.

I still intend to someday get a N3DS if they ever offer a standard model cheaply again. I don't want an XL.

However, I somewhat suspect that the ps3 and 360 might be my last home consoles from those companies. The ps4 has a few games I'm interested in, but it just doesn't seem worth the investment since the consoles themselves seem to get more expensive and I seem to use them less.

As much as I would like to play n3ds titles, f*** Nintendo for bifurcating their own handheld scene for no reason. Creating haves and have nots within a single generation is inexcusable to me, especially if half of your online store at this point is either ports from previous consoles or kemco titles ported from Android at twice the price.

Zeus
1 month ago#286
WhiskeyDisk posted...
Zeus posted...
WhiskeyDisk posted...

As much as I would like to play n3ds titles, f*** Nintendo for bifurcating their own handheld scene for no reason. Creating haves and have nots within a single generation is inexcusable to me, especially if half of your online store at this point is either ports from previous consoles or kemco titles ported from Android at twice the price.

To be fair, this is the *second* time they've done it (or the third if you view the gbc as a variant of the gb which, to some extent, it arguably was) so it's a bit less shocking. However, it's more just for having a second system within the generation for games with trading functions, etc, so I don't have to track down others who own the system and borrow theirs (and, of course, as a general backup)
(\/)(\/)|-|
(edited 1 month ago)

WhiskeyDisk
1 month ago#287
And for the record, I'm not actually knocking kemco RPGS. for the price, their library is actually quite good for mobile titles, but damned if I'm paying 10 or 20 bucks for a 7 year old mobile title on my 3ds when I can pay 5 for it on my phone.

I have a soft spot for many kemco titles actually, but what does it say for modern gaming that I have more respect for semigeneric mobile RPGs than I do for console gaming at this point?

The Wave Master
1 month ago#288
I use to love Gran Turismo. Use to because I'm not sure what Sony and Polyphony Digital are doing.

First, it shouldn't take 5 years to make a copy and paste HD version of your last game. Especially since Gran Turismo Sport isn't even the finished game of Gran Turismo 7.

Secondly, why in the hell is a racing simulation game online only? By that I mean why do you need persistent online for a console ralcing game. A console racing game that you can't even save your progress unless the server is up? This isn't a pc game that does this to prevent cheating and theft. This is a racing game about tuning up cats to perfection, and turning piles of junk into gold. Also, it's about realistic driving. It just doesn't make any sense.

Between this and Burnout being gone. Criterion I miss you making Burnout games instead of Need for Speed yearly Crap. I guess racing games are over for me.
(edited 1 month ago)

The Wave Master
1 month ago#289
In small but interesting wrestling news.

Neville quit. Left Raw and asked for his release. My wife loves him because she thinks he could play Link in a live action Legend of Zelda movie. "He doesn't even need a prosthetic for his ears." She yells.

Anyway, he left mainly because Enzo is a Piece of trash, and he had to drop the belt to that idiot. However, Neville had the cruiserweight belt for the better part of a year. Now he's salty after not having the belt for less than a month? I know Enzo is a pill, and I don't know the real behind the scenes dynamic, but but seems a but dramatic right?

And WWE begrudgingly made the right decision in giving Enzo the belt. Sure he can't wrestle, but he can cut a promo, he's really over right now, even as a heel, and he's going to bring attention to the division, and hopefully more eyes. More than Neville has or ever will in that role.

Also, rumor is Nia Jax quit too. Now she has a reason to be pissed at management. She should have won the belt at Summerslam in that garbage fatal 5 way match. She's being buried under Alexa Bliss. Which is a shame because she has worked really hard since her NXT Days. Granted so has Bliss, but if you're not going to give her a run during al big 4 pay per view then when will they? Plus Bliss has the charisma of a wet diaper.

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
1 month ago#290
The Wave Master posted...
I use to love Gran Turismo. Use to because I'm not sure what Sony and Polyphony Digital are doing.

First, it shouldn't take 5 years to make a copy and paste HD version of your last game. Especially since Gran Turismo Sport isn't even the finished game of Gran Turismo 7.

Wave, do you know what Gran Turismo Concept is? It was essentially a paid sampling of GT3 (released after the game came out) that was never released in the States, and it was split into three separate releases. That was when Sony and Polyphony started their bulls***, and that was 15 years ago - back in 2002.

Then they made GT4 Prologue and GT5 Prologue to tease the full games, except GT4 came out a year after GT4P, while GT5 took three years after its prologue released. What about Gran Turismo PSP? That was supposed to launch within a year of the PSP, but wound up releasing long after people stopped caring about the PSP.

Polyphony is nothing but delays and cash-grabs these days. Forza is a much better series, though it happens to be on Xbox instead of Playstation, so it doesn't get nearly as much attention as Gran Turismo. Shame, since Gran Turismo is basically the only real racing series we've got on Playstation, and we're twiddling our thumbs so very long between each entry, only to be spat in the face with s*** like GTSport.

I used to adore racing games. Nowadays, I barely give them a passing glance.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.