All Geek's Eve

• Topic Closed
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
3 months ago#41
And damn, Jerry Pournelle, co author of Lucifer's Hammer with Larry Niven just died on my birthday...
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
3 months ago#42
On geekier notes It (The Movie) has made a metric ton of money this weekend. And I heard that the movie is actually pretty good too.

From what I've seen in the trailers, it looks like another dime a dozen horror flick that injects loud sound effects to startle the viewer in place of actually scaring them, and that is without a doubt my absolute least favorite type of movie. So I think the film looks like utter s***, and the fact that modern horror fans enjoyed it, when modern horror fans have some of the s***tiest taste on the entire planet, only serves to fortify my belief that it's terrible.

I also just watched the RLM review, where they basically said "if you cut out the stupid horror bulls***, it'd be a pretty good movie."

Also also, I've been playing Splatoon 2 all weekend, and it's probably the most fun I've had with a video game in the past few years. I've been itching for a good competitive game for so very long, and I finally found one that I absolutely adore.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
3 months ago#43
Watched Odd Thomas tonight (after it sat on my NFI queue for years), which was complete crap. However, I'm somewhat impressed by the sheer volume of work Dean Koontz has done. Sure, a LOT of it is probably crap -- although I did enjoy the adaptation of Phantoms enough to pick up the novel -- but it's crazy to think about some authors churning out that much stuff, especially because, after a certain point, they clearly don't need the money. Guys like Dean Koontz and Stephen King have to be set for life but, instead of just sticking on a pile of gold like some authors who got lucky, they're still keeping to it.

Raganork posted...
So I think the film looks like utter s***, and the fact that modern horror fans enjoyed it, when modern horror fans have some of the s***tiest taste on the entire planet, only serves to fortify my belief that it's terrible.

I also just watched the RLM review, where they basically said "if you cut out the stupid horror bulls***, it'd be a pretty good movie."

It's funny to hear people criticize taste then cite RLM. XD XD XD

But yeah, the trailers didn't really wow me (partly since I saw the miniseries)
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
3 months ago#44
I'm just going to leave this video right here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NowW-_8ExkM

Also, Metroid Samus Returns drops on Friday. I'm broke but I want the game, and Nintendo games never really drop in price. Therefore, playing the waiting game and hoping for a price drop isn't a viable iption.

Are any of you geeks playing Destiny 2? If so is it better than Destiny vanilla? I'm thinking it's just marginally better than the first. Which means it's not woeth owning or investing hundreds of hours into the game.
We are who we choose to be.

Raganork
3 months ago#45
Zeus posted...
It's funny to hear people criticize taste then cite RLM. XD XD XD

*shrugs*

In addition to them being entertainers, their tastes tend to align with mine. No different than watching/reading other critics' reviews.
Zeus posted...
But yeah, the trailers didn't really wow me (partly since I saw the miniseries)

I think most people have nostalgia for the miniseries because "ooh, I watched a scary movie when I was little," but I actually rewatched it with my brother a few years back, and it hasn't held up. In fact, I'd say it was probably never great to begin with. Yeah, Tim Curry is great and all, and I guess John Ritter is there too, but I think the issue stems from the story itself being so long and convoluted that it doesn't really translate well to film. Or I don't know; I guess I just don't get Stephen King. He's way too weird for my tastes.

The Wave Master posted...
Also, Metroid Samus Returns drops on Friday. I'm broke but I want the game, and Nintendo games never really drop in price. Therefore, playing the waiting game and hoping for a price drop isn't a viable iption.

Speaking of bad taste <_<

But seriously, I saw the words "MercurySteam" and immediately lost every ounce of hope for the game. I imagine this will be very similar to Mirror of Fate, which was one of the worst Metroidvania's I'd ever played. For that reason, I can't put blind faith in these guys and expect this remake to be competent.

Maybe it'll wind up being fantastic, but honestly, even if that's the case, I'd much rather hunt down AM2R and play that, as it caters to my tastes much more than Samus Returns does.

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
3 months ago#46
I want to believe that "Samus Returns" is anything more than a cheap cash-in to try to bring back the fans that enjoyed AM2R, as in try too hard rather than simply make a good remake for the sake of being a good remake, but I haven't seen enough to make a final opinion on the matter. I will say that the graphics aren't that appeasing from the trailer, not to mention its style and some of the combat abilities bring back flashbacks from "Other M."
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

Raganork
3 months ago#47
I never played Metroid 2, so I'm not sure how faithful this remake is, but I will say that a number of the abilities they gave Samus have me scratching my head, though I'm not sure if they were present in the original (and I'm gonna go with no, they weren't).

I'm not at all a fan of being able to reveal hidden passageways on your map, as that completely kills your sense of exploration, and the satisfaction you feel when you stumble upon these secret rooms. SotN and Super Metroid both give the player access to broad maps of the various locations, but they don't reveal the hidden paths. I guess people will say "just don't use the power then," so all right, I can give this one a pass and say it's great for those that hate secrets, and I can just ignore it.

Giving Samus a melee parry feels oddly out of place. I don't hate its inclusion, but I am wondering why they felt the need to include it. When I played Super Metroid, I never once went "man, if only this combat had more depth to it; a parry move would work wonders to keep things exciting." Metroid has always been about exploration; not combat. This is the sort of the same reason why Mirror of Fate failed so catastrophically. They're focusing on combat instead of exploration, and not even doing a great job with the subject they're focusing on.

Then there's stuff like super armor, increasing the rate of fire of your gun, and slowing down time, all of which I'm not against, but there's a major problem here: the hardest difficulty of the game (one where you'd be forced to make clever use out of all of these powers) is locked behind a f***in' amiibo that's been sold out for a while now. So on easier difficulties, all of this just trivializes the game, and unless you plop down $30 for that new 2-pack of Metroid amiibos, you're s*** outta luck.

Lastly, the 2.5D aesthetic doesn't look appealing whatsoever here. I've seen games do 2.5D well (the Trine games come to mind, and they're gorgeous). This is just more of that same sloppy art style used in Mirror of Fate. Seriously, f*** MercurySteam.

So I guess if I just ignore all of the additions they've made and play this like a classic Metroid game, I'll get that classic Metroid experience. For $40. Or, I can just grab AM2R for free and get a prettier-looking Metroid that's more in-line with what I like about Metroidvanias.

I don't want to jump the gun and say this game will be terrible, but from everything I've seen, read, and heard, there's no way I can be even the slightest bit optimistic.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
3 months ago#48
The Wave Master posted...
Also, Metroid Samus Returns drops on Friday. I'm broke but I want the game, and Nintendo games never really drop in price. Therefore, playing the waiting game and hoping for a price drop isn't a viable iption

Amazon sometimes lists it for less and there are digital sales at times. idk, I imagine I might buy it at some point.

Raganork posted...
I think most people have nostalgia for the miniseries because "ooh, I watched a scary movie when I was little," but I actually rewatched it with my brother a few years back, and it hasn't held up. In fact, I'd say it was probably never great to begin with. Yeah, Tim Curry is great and all, and I guess John Ritter is there too, but I think the issue stems from the story itself being so long and convoluted that it doesn't really translate well to film. Or I don't know; I guess I just don't get Stephen King. He's way too weird for my tastes.

Given that I didn't catch it until around college or later, it's certainly not nostalgia. And, when I saw it, I thought it was a terrific series and I've seen it at least once since then. Granted, I've never read the novel -- although seeing the series inspired to me to pick it up.

Entity13 posted...
AM2R

I don't know this abbreviation?

Raganork posted...
I never played Metroid 2, so I'm not sure how faithful this remake is, but I will say that a number of the abilities they gave Samus have me scratching my head, though I'm not sure if they were present in the original (and I'm gonna go with no, they weren't).

I played the original and wasn't really that fond of it. However, Zero Mission greatly improved the original Metroid so this remake may appeal to me.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
3 months ago#49
Zeus posted...
Entity13 posted...
AM2R

I don't know this abbreviation?

That's literally the title of the fanmade game. It stands for "Another Metroid 2 Remake." It was developed over the course of about ten years for no money with a small group, and it was released August of last year for free.

There was praise, takedowns were issued, there were moderations, there was fist shaking and heavens screaming from BTB, and there were threats from Nintendo to many reviewers not to even acknowledge AM2R or Nintendo would take some action or another.

Then Nintendo's version of a remake was announced this past E3 with a trailer.

So if I do end up getting the game, it would be after the market for it dwindles a fair deal so Nintendo might still get money, but not so much of it or even during peak times when they might measure a game's success. If only for HOW they chose to handle the whole situation, I say they paved the bridge with kerosene and have the match in hand. The actual quality of this remake may or may not be the striking of that match. I'm hoping the game turns out well enough, but we'll see (as no one really wants that bridge to burn).
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
3 months ago#50
Nintendo says to not pay more than 80 bucks for the SNES Classic Edition. (Which is the retail price.)

My suggestion to that is to make more consoles so there isn't a shortage, and to directly control the preorder process instead of farming it out to retailers to mess up spectacularly.

All I know is that my handicapped butt is going to be at Best Buy on the 24th very very early. That way the wife and I can get tickets to actually get a copy. I suggest you do the same if you want a copy of the retro console.

http://gizmodo.com/nintendo-urges-public-don-t-pay-more-than-80-for-snes-1803138702
We are who we choose to be.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Closed