All Geek's Eve

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve
Entity13 posted...
ParanoidObsessive posted...
The average human can walk 2 miles in about 15-20 minutes.

uhh... I'm fairly certain the average human is less than half as fast as that.

I started to write a pithy, borderline abusive retort to that, but you're actually right.

Normal human walking pace (for the average healthy adult, not the overall average including crawling infants or infirm elderly) is scientifically clocked at 3-4 miles per hour. That translates into a 15 minute mile (for people walking 4 miles per hour) or a 20 minute mile (for people walking 3 miles per hour).

I'm not actually sure why I wrote "2 miles" there. I meant 1 mile. I actually had to do a double-take back to my own post to make sure you didn't change what I'd typed in my quote, because I was like "I wouldn't have written 2 miles there. That makes no sense."

I was actually pretty sure of that info as well. Because track was my sport back in high school, and even recently I'd looked it up again because I was planning a 26-mile hike and I was wondering what sort of time it would take at a general walking pace.

I blame the mods. Clearly one of them secretly edited my post to sabotage me.

Raganork posted...
I think in high school my gym teacher timed one of the students that walked the entirety of our mile run. Took her 13 and a half minutes just walking at a casual pace.

Sounds about right. When I was in high school, the Presidential Fitness test required a mile run/jog around 7:30 for full points (it was a "run" for most people, it was a "jog" for most of the track team, especially the distance runners). In actual track practice, we were occasionally expected to run 6-minute miles as part of training (and I was a sprinter, not a distance runner, so it was solely for conditioning). And the fastest distance runner in the school at the time (who also held the overall school record time in the mile and who was the 5th fastest runner in the state at the time) would generally clock in around 4:10 or so.

13 1/2 minutes is actually slightly faster than a 4 mph pace, which would make it an above-average time.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
2 weeks ago#432
For a mediocre talent, I'm always impressed by the range of things Seth MacFarlane is able to get to do. Case in point would be him singing "Ya Got Trouble" for some BBC program. He's not bad, but he's not very good either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfoTmiWsfD0

Granted, I guess when you have success in one arena, it opens up other doors and you can keep getting to try stuff out for even greater celebrity status.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash

User Info: Korruptor

Korruptor
2 weeks ago#433
Maybe they let Seth do all kinds of stuff b/c they're afraid that he might joke about their dirty secrets.

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
2 weeks ago#434
Funny that this just happened to pop up in my recommended vids today...

https://youtu.be/yCDXMMGWJd0
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
2 weeks ago#435
I was able to get all the video games I wanted for pretty damn cheap on Black Friday without having to stand in line for hours in the cold, or beat the mess out of some random stranger for the last 30 dollar tablet. I even got a good night's sleep and had a nice dinner last night. See you don't have to deal with the lines and people of you don't want to.

I got the following games:

South Park: The Fractured But Whole
Persona 5 *Finally*
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Overwatch
Resident Evil 7
Tekken 7

Not a bad haul.

I also picked up a Google Home Mini for my racist brother on law.

What did all of you get if anything?
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: knivesX2004

knivesX2004
2 weeks ago#436
The Wave Master posted...
Persona 5 *Finally*

Yiiiiiiiiis

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
2 weeks ago#437
Persona 5 is really great. You'll enjoy that one.

I went early this morning and found squat. Wanted Nioh, but everyone was sold out. Looking for the SNES Classic - was laughed at. Walked away with Puyo Puyo Tetris and that's all. Now I'm at work :V

Not actually that bad, considering I bought mostly everything I wanted when they released this year.

Now if I can just get my grubby mits on that f***ing SNES Classic already...

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
2 weeks ago#438
ParanoidObsessive posted...
And the fastest distance runner in the school at the time (who also held the overall school record time in the mile and who was the 5th fastest runner in the state at the time) would generally clock in around 4:10 or so.

I think 5:05 was my best mile time in HS, when I last did track. I was a short-sprinter, though-I actually had various 100M records and stuff at 2 of my HS. So longer distances weren't really my jam.

I'm building a new computer this year (this current rig is about 8 years old), and I'm pretty damn excited for it. All the parts should be in by Wednesday.

Also, go watch Godless on Netflix. I worked on it, if you recall, and it's getting great receptions and reviews.
PotD's resident Film Expert. Steelers: 5-2. Next up: Lions.

User Info: The Wave Master

The Wave Master
2 weeks ago#439
Watching the new Hey Arnold movie. It's cute. Reminds me of teenager years, but in high definition.

I could use a new Doug movie too, but only of Billy Wear came back to do Roger and Doug's voices.
We are who we choose to be.

User Info: CyborgSage00x0

CyborgSage00x0
2 weeks ago#440
^I don't have cable, wonder if someone has it..online...yet...
PotD's resident Film Expert. Steelers: 5-2. Next up: Lions.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.