All Geek's Eve

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve
Entity13 posted...
Ugh... I've been trying on and off to push through FF XII just to say I can, but the game's so bad.

That's more or less how I felt about FFVIII. By the time of FFXII, it was more just so painfully dull that I couldn't even use indignation and disgust as a fuel to fight back against it.

If FFVIII was the end boss whose teeth I wanted to smash in, FFXII was the optional joke miniboss I avoided out of apathy.

The Wave Master posted...
However, how do we all feel about Final Fantasy IX?

I think it was a fine game, and definitely a refreshing balm after the burning abortion that was FFVIII, but I also tend to think that it's vastly overrated by online fans.

FFIX was built on the nostalgia bones of earlier games in the franchise, and because of that it benefits from the rosy-tinted gleam of nostalgia goggles way more than it actually stands on its own merits.

Basically, people who hated FFVIII over-praised it for not being FFVIII, and people who were like "Man, this reminds me of FFI/FFIV/FFVI!" over-praised it for having lots of references and having the same feel that later games didn't, and in the end a lot of people remember it being way better than it actually was.

Again, it's not a BAD game, per se. But I'd be hard-pressed to rank it as highly as most people do.

I ask because it's out on ps4 today after an announcement at the Tokyo game show. It's not a remaster, but just a port of the enhanced pc port from a few years ago. We just get to play it on ps4 now.

I still own my PS1 and my copy of FFIX, so if I'd wanted to play it at any point, I easily could.

The fact that I haven't played it since 2002 or so probably speaks volumes.

And considering how Squeenix handles re-releases and ports (ie, incredibly poorly), I wouldn't WANT to play a newer version of the game anyway - Squeenix's current policy seems to be to murder nostalgia wherever it dares rear its head while simultaneously trying to exploit it.

On a separate note I went to Wal-Mart for the first time since my surgery, and they had two Nintendo Switch consoles in stock. It was weird to see then in the wild.

Are any of you seeing them in the wild with any frequency?

I've never actually bothered to look, because I am so absolutely apathetic about the existence of that as a concept or technology that it might as well not exist at all in my world.

"Wall of Text'D!" --- oldskoolplayr76
"POwned again." --- blight family

User Info: WhiskeyDisk

WhiskeyDisk
2 months ago#92
Supposedly the switch has a copy on NES golf embedded in it's firmware but nobody has yet figured out how to access it yet. Can't seem to find the article I saw on it right now though.

Not that the original NES Golf would sway anyone to buy the system or anything, but it is an interesting bit of trivia.
http://i.imgur.com/4fmtLFt.gif
http://s1.zetaboards.com/sba/ ~there's always free cheese in a mousetrap.

User Info: Entity13

Entity13
2 months ago#93
However, how do we all feel about Final Fantasy IX?

It's fine, but isn't for me. I enjoyed X more, despite how gruesome the endgame grind is if you want to complete the forsaken Sphere Grid and fight the optional bosses, especially in the extended Japanese version that was the basis for the HD remake, without the aide of Yojimbo's Zanmato ability.

Raganork posted...
Woah woah woah, hold on. I never agreed to that. I enjoy the game quite a bit. Enough to replay it several times, including Zodiac Age. Yeah, the second half drags on when compared to the strong first half, but I still managed to enjoy the game all the way through.

The first half is slow, and too much of it has you out in the middle of a damn desert. 90% of the time I tend not to give a damn about desert zones; Rabanastre and its surrounding region is no exception. Also, turning on the built-in speed modifier on the ps4 version only makes the game that much more tolerable since I don't feel like I'm pulling teeth every time I fight pretty much anything (aside from those fights that spam status ailments).

I'll be so glad when I have Ribbons on my main group and I'm able to ignore that obnoxious point in an already horrendous battle system.

ParanoidObsessive posted...
That's more or less how I felt about FFVIII. By the time of FFXII, it was more just so painfully dull that I couldn't even use indignation and disgust as a fuel to fight back against it.

If FFVIII was the end boss whose teeth I wanted to smash in, FFXII was the optional joke miniboss I avoided out of apathy.

VIII was another game I played just so I could say I did and have my opinion actually matter when I tell people, wait for it, that the game is s***. Even if it turns out that we Americans got the worse version where Squall hardly says anything--apparently he's a little smarter and way wordy in the Japanese version--the game is bad for all too many reasons.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/EntityXIII/entityfn7.jpg

Entity13
2 months ago#94
Also, I finally made a couple purchases that were a time coming:

Nier Automata. I like what I've seen and heard, and wish to play the game for myself. It's presently due here a week from tomorrow.

.hack//G.U. Last Recode - preorder. I happen to have a Prime membership this year--as much as Amazon irritates me sometimes and I dislike how Prime is handled--so I'll be happy to get that on release day for, supposedly, a few dollars less than retail. So basically, it'll be like paying for the fourth volume if it had come out with the rest of the trilogy all those years ago.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
2 months ago#95
I didn't really like FFVIII or IX. However, at least 8 had Triple Triad, which was a lot of fun... unlike that lousy Tetra Master intro'd in 9. Triple Triad had a pretty okay fan following, though, including fan-made versions where you could play against other people (although that was largely ruined thanks to people having overpowered decks and mostly wanting to stick to more vanilla rules benefiting those decks)
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
Entity13 posted...
Even if it turns out that we Americans got the worse version where Squall hardly says anything--apparently he's a little smarter and way wordy in the Japanese version

Based on the things he DOES say in the American version, I can only assume that a version where he actually had more to say would be far, far worse than what we actually got.

And what we got was an infected root canal without anesthesia.

I see zero evidence that the problems with his personality stem entirely from translation or localization issues - if anything, I'd say it's one of the earliest examples in the franchise of Japan's different cultural expectations and interests clashing with the Western perception of what a main character should actually be (see also, a large part of what makes Shinji so repugnantly annoying in Neon Genesis Evangelion - the Japanese seem to LOVE ineffectual whiny b**** pretty boy main characters). The same personality traits that make me want to leapt into my TV and repeatedly bludgeon his face and the same things Japanese audiences LIKE about him. And I will never stop hating them for it.

(About the only evidence I've ever seen that Squall is even remotely capable of being a more worthwhile character is in Kingdom Hearts, but that's also a game that has no problem tweaking characterization to suit the needs of the story it wants to tell, so I'd argue that doesn't reflect on the officially canon original version of the character anyway.)

Entity13 posted...
.hack//G.U. Last Recode

So basically, it'll be like paying for the fourth volume if it had come out with the rest of the trilogy all those years ago.

Not really. It's more like buying the tacked-on fourth part of a trilogy that was never even remotely meant to have a fourth part in the first place. And which will most likely have a far weaker story because of it, which will only make the preceding games less enjoyable by proxy (also known as "Mass Effect Syndrome").

As much as I love/loved .hack (and I definitely loved GU more than the original recipe), I have zero interest in this. And I am saying this as someone who has probably spent upwards of a thousand dollars on all the games, all of the anime, most of the manga, and most of the OSTs (including the harder to find import only) from both the anime and games.

The s***tier quality of things like Link, Quantum, and the movies have left me with very little faith that they're even remotely capable of creating a story 10 years after the fact that has the same narrative weight and characterization of the original games. Especially since the story is going to feel forced, because it was originally unplanned and thus not really integrated into the plot of the original games.

Wanting it to play the original games again on a newer console is understandable (though statements like "We tweaked so much it will feel like a new game" always make me nervous, because that defeats the entire point of banking on nostalgia in the first place *cough*f*** your FFVII remaster Squeenix*cough*), but buying it because you want to play volume 4 sort of feels like the Monkey's Paw wish that was the Star Wars Prequel movies all over again.

Zeus posted...
I didn't really like FFVIII or IX. However, at least 8 had Triple Triad, which was a lot of fun... unlike that lousy Tetra Master intro'd in 9.

Tetra Master didn't have bulls*** rule spreading, though, which makes it infinitely better than Triple Triad as far as I'm concerned.

FFIX also didn't force you to play its s*** card game in order to acquire rare items unavailable in any other way which you need to unlock certain upgrades, so that's another way in which FFVIII can go f*** itself with a rusty pitchfork.

My absolute loathing distaste for Triple Triad is a large part of why my reaction to Gwent in The Witcher 3 was pretty much "Hah hah, go f*** yourself." Triple Triad left such a sour taste in my mouth that it has pretty much tainted the entire concept of card game minigames for me for the next thousand plus years.

User Info: Raganork

Raganork
2 months ago#98
Entity13 posted...
The first half is slow, and too much of it has you out in the middle of a damn desert. 90% of the time I tend not to give a damn about desert zones; Rabanastre and its surrounding region is no exception.

The first half also has a story, and isn't just "let's go to Archades," which is a ten hour trip. Then "let's give chase to Cid," which is another 5 hour trek. Then "he's at Pharos; one last time guys," and Pharos is the longest, most tedious dungeon in the game.

Also, I don't know if living in this hell hole of a desert for a decade has softened my opinion on deserts, but the ester/westersand and sandseas are some of my favorite locations in the game, and I know that sounds unbelievable, but it's true. Phon Coast is probably my favorite.

Entity13 posted...
Nier Automata. I like what I've seen and heard, and wish to play the game for myself. It's presently due here a week from tomorrow.

Still the best game I played all year. Incredible game. I still listen to the soundtrack almost every week.

Entity13 posted...
.hack//G.U. Last Recode - preorder

Never played these games, so this rerelease somewhat interests me. Now if only we can get a Shadow Hearts compilation so I can finally play those games without dropping over a hundred bucks.

Tetra Master didn't have bulls*** rule spreading, though, which makes it infinitely better than Triple Triad as far as I'm concerned.

I tried my best to learn Tetra Master on three separate playthroughs of the game, and I still can't remember how it's played. The simplicity of Triple Triad is its greatest strength. Yeah, rule spreading sucks, but it's completely manageable and even preventable. Even then, I intentionally allow rules to spread on more recent playthroughs so I can squeeze some ounce of challenge out of the minigame.

Gwent is also great fun, but it too suffers from the same issue that Triple Triad suffers from: the quality of cards in your collection increases too quickly, and the ai isn't difficult enough to keep the minigame entertaining throughout the entire journey. At least FFVIII has rules to trip you up, and the threat of losing your cards is always there. Gwent is a static experience all the way through, with no such threat.

Entity13
2 months ago#99
Raganork posted...
Still the best game I played all year. Incredible game. I still listen to the soundtrack almost every week.

I'm familiar enough with the game's story and gameplay at least that I made an Automata reference in pvp the other day in FFXIV. No one acknowledged the joke.

Also, when reviewers do their usual favorite games countdowns for the end of the year, I would hope that Nier Automata either tops those lists or comes damn close. Also, we'll know who's in a developers pocket, or wishes they were, by whether or not they list FFXV over Automata. "Breath of the Wild," however... that might come down to preferences, but I would hope they present good arguments without sounding like they're trying to sell the game; we don't need that. Nier Automata, is the one with the real impact this year, which is part of why I'm making sure to get a copy before it becomes a collectible item like the .hack// game,s or the PS versiosn of Valkyrie Profile or Star Ocean 2.

Raganork posted...
Never played these games, so this rerelease somewhat interests me. Now if only we can get a Shadow Hearts compilation so I can finally play those games without dropping over a hundred bucks.

If they include and updated version of Koudelka and leave out that one game that came after Covenant, I'd be down for that.

User Info: Zeus

Zeus
2 months ago#100
(see also, a large part of what makes Shinji so repugnantly annoying in Neon Genesis Evangelion - the Japanese seem to LOVE ineffectual whiny b**** pretty boy main characters).

To be fair, otaku/weeabos are often whiny b**** boys so it could be considered an insert =p

(About the only evidence I've ever seen that Squall is even remotely capable of being a more worthwhile character is in Kingdom Hearts, but that's also a game that has no problem tweaking characterization to suit the needs of the story it wants to tell, so I'd argue that doesn't reflect on the officially canon original version of the character anyway.)

His brooding was a lot cooler, unlike the wussy emo brooding from 8.

Zeus posted...
I didn't really like FFVIII or IX. However, at least 8 had Triple Triad, which was a lot of fun... unlike that lousy Tetra Master intro'd in 9.

FFIX also didn't force you to play its s*** card game in order to acquire rare items unavailable in any other way which you need to unlock certain upgrades, so that's another way in which FFVIII can go f*** itself with a rusty pitchfork.

My absolute loathing distaste for Triple Triad is a large part of why my reaction to Gwent in The Witcher 3 was pretty much "Hah hah, go f*** yourself." Triple Triad left such a sour taste in my mouth that it has pretty much tainted the entire concept of card game minigames for me for the next thousand plus years.

Rule spreading generally wasn't a huge issue *except* for one or two of the rules (random was s***, everything else was less annoying). And I liked how it could be used to acquire certain items. While you have to play it a few times to get through the campaign, it's honestly not that bad compared to *other* minigame obstacles, such as the f***ing Goron dance which kept me from finishing Oracle of Ages.

Also, I somewhat regret not picking up some of the Gwent cards when I saw them on clearance at Gamestop. (I think it might have been in a box set?)

Granted, in general I've always enjoyed CCGs so that could factor into my preference. I did wind up importing a lot of the physical Triple Triad cards off either Yahoo Auctions (Remember that? That was a thing) or Ebay, which were among some of my earliest purchases.

Raganork posted...
I tried my best to learn Tetra Master on three separate playthroughs of the game, and I still can't remember how it's played. The simplicity of Triple Triad is its greatest strength. Yeah, rule spreading sucks, but it's completely manageable and even preventable. Even then, I intentionally allow rules to spread on more recent playthroughs so I can squeeze some ounce of challenge out of the minigame.

Same. Tetra was needlessly confusing which kept it from being fun.
(\/)(\/)|-|
In Zeus We Trust: All Others Pay Cash
  1. Boards
  2. Poll of the Day
  3. All Geek's Eve

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.