New Computer

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: clownygrin

clownygrin
2 months ago#1
Hello!

So recently I got a new laptop for school and work. It's not powerful enough to play big stuff, but it should run Diablo 2 just fine. I purchased the box set with the DLC a few years ago and played it on my old computer. I just installed the installer from Blizzards site (was easier than trying to find my old box, but I can if I need to.)

It's asking for a key, I'm not totally sure what to do since I already bought the game and used the key on my old computer. How do I do this, haha? Am I not able to download it and play on my new comp without buying another key again? Because that would really suck.

I don't game on PC really ever and not familiar with a lot of it, so if this is a stupid question, I ask that you would have patience and hopefully answer it anywho.

Thank you!

User Info: clownygrin

clownygrin
2 months ago#2
So actually...I figured that out and have the game registered and installed...but now I've encountered a bigger problem.

When ever I click the game to try and play, I get a little window that pops up saying "Error." And that's it...it doesn't say anything else, just Error.

I tried running as administrator and in compatibility mode and nothing is working.

User Info: funkyfritter

funkyfritter
2 months ago#3
Try running the video test. At the end it will give you two options, the other one might work for you.
And with that...pow! I'm gone!

User Info: STG Deathbot

STG Deathbot
1 month ago#4
If you bought the laptop from a store, it should be powerful enough to play most modern games. Unless you got some extremely cheap one that only has a chipset, but even then it should be able to run games like Titan Quest perfectly fine.

The only thing I can think of would be to run it in compatibility mode.
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 4.5GHz | 16GB Samsung RAM DDR3 1600 (11-11-11-28) | eVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB VRAM | ASUS 27" Monitor @ 2560X1440

User Info: Zeratultheking

Zeratultheking
1 month ago#5
Run it in compatibility mode for windows xp/vista. Then have it run as administrator. You can set it to auto do both by right clicking the .exe itself inside program files(x86)\Diablo II\Diabloii.exe or something to that extent. I am at my work computer so don't have the exact file name.

It should work fine for any windows 7/10 computer you can buy. It is all about setting the software to run in the right mode.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived