Back in 2003 this game was recalled worldwide (SPOILERS)

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Kakuto Chojin
  3. Back in 2003 this game was recalled worldwide (SPOILERS)

User Info: Slamdance_Karma

Slamdance_Karma
9 years ago#1
I've been surfing a few articles about it from that time (which are still available on the Net), and it seems nobody at MS, or MS Japan in particular picked up on the Koran verses used as a background chant being potentially offensive to devout Muslims. Seems it took a protest from the Saudi government and its oil billions to get their attention.

Well, Kakuto-Chojin isn't a great fighting game, but IMO it deserved a better fate than this. A sequel might even have been good, if the development team that MS Japan had cobbled together from ex-Dream Factory and Tekken staff would've had a chance. So sez moi.

As for the Koranic chants, I read from one source (the Guardian newspaper's story linked to at the wikipedia article) that they were removed, and the game re-released, although I don't think that occured in North America.

When it comes to religious content that is potentially offensive there have been a few games I can recall that savaged Christian images and messages (SPOILERS)
:
:
:
:
>>>>
...such as the Grandia game with the very Papal-looking villain screaming over and over again "I shall SMITE THEE", um, yeah...

But then perhaps insulting Christians is somehow politically correct to today's mass media types (mass media including Windows products, of course), when such "freedom of expression" doesn't potentially involve oil-rich murderous terrorist fanatics kidnapping your employees and pirating/sabotaging your wares. X(

So IMO this mediocre game became a pawn for a much worse act of censorship and extortion.
twilight time

User Info: King_Tigerclaw

King_Tigerclaw
9 years ago#2
Ok...........ummm, thanks for the history lesson? >_>

Seriously, though.........I was looking for news on why this game was supposedly recalled or banned or whatever.
[=[__]=] 007_rogue: what would you have to have in a computer to ensure your games never crash?
[+[__]+] ImbaIance: The soul of Bill Gates.

User Info: Gouki22

Gouki22
9 years ago#3
"Beating me is against God's will."
XBL: Goufunaki
PSN: Goufunaki22

User Info: Namine_Zero

Namine_Zero
9 years ago#4
I bought this game last year in a bargain bin at a Fred Meyer. I wonder if it still has that offensive part in it. I had actually heard about the recall back when it happened, but I didn't know it was this game that got recalled. And just remember, nothing is racist/prejudice, as long as your only talking about christian white males.
"Prod easy? You were easily prodded?" Lloyd Irving
IT'S BOB SAPP TIME!!!
  1. Boards
  2. Kakuto Chojin
  3. Back in 2003 this game was recalled worldwide (SPOILERS)

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived