Anyone familiar with save state editing with nestopia?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Anyone familiar with save state editing with nestopia?

User Info: lord_dhaos

lord_dhaos
6 years ago#1
I had someone die and I want to change his experience to be equal to everyone else's so all 4 characters level up at the same time, but I can't seem to get this to work.

The value I'm looking for is 7799: The character has 7799 experience points
I converted 7799 to hex and get 1E77
I then loaded my save state with cygnus hex editor and searched for 77 1E with no luck. I tried looking for other values such as my gold total (4845 > 12ED > ED 12 no matches either)

I've never done hex editing before so I'm just using info I found online but obviously I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

User Info: beege_man

beege_man
6 years ago#2
Sorry, can't help, but it may be faster to just kill off the other three people and gather the right amount of experience with the guy who died.

User Info: AstralEsper

AstralEsper
6 years ago#3
Experience value should be at the following location:

Character 1: 0x507-09
Character 2: 0x547-49
Character 3: 0x587-89
Character 4: 0x5c7-c9

Should be fairly easy, but I've never tried editing it before. I just kill off the others to even things out.

User Info: Vcimdarf

Vcimdarf
6 years ago#4
Have you considered endianness? That is, the bytes for your character's exp value could be stored in "big endian" order, with the most significant byte first: 00, 00, 1E, 77. They could also be stored in "little endian": 77, 1E, 00, 00.
Try looking for 771E just in case...

User Info: silktail

silktail
6 years ago#5
I then loaded my save state with cygnus hex editor

Are you sure you can do that with a save state?

A Save states should capture the whole game's state and may compress that information. At the very least it would be easier just to adjust the game's Save file.
---

User Info: x_loto

x_loto
6 years ago#6
silktail is right: it depends on the specific emulator, but a state is more than likely compressed. You'll definitely have better luck with a battery save file.
The world is veiled in darkness. The wind stops, the sea is wild, and the earth begins to rot.
The people wait, their only hope, a signature....
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Anyone familiar with save state editing with nestopia?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived